Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
The 4GB Kingston 4GBFE card (if it is even Kingston? They do not say they make that part number at all... ) was detected by N800 properly, it did report the free space correctly but is not really working right: By looking dmesg log it says file system panic everywhere... and I was not able to create swap partition in it. So put the 4GB "Kingston" card into the blacklist as well.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
SanDisk 4GB SDHC Class 2 is working just fine with the N800 SDHC kernel.

The SDHC kernel seems stable given the limited amount of testing so far - I certainly haven't noticed anything unusual yet, and all apps seem to be behaving themselves. Thanks Unhinged (and Phil Langdale of course!)

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-01-26 at 23:18.

Adata 8gb card from Newegg working perfect with the SDHC kernel for me. Installed in the internal slot with 128mb swap on it... Gonna get another one for the external slot next week.

Had an unexplained reboot using the SDHC kernel - no idea why, I just found the N800 stuck at the "Nokia" screen after I'd left it idle and on battery power for a few hours. Have rebooted, it's recharging now as the battery was almost finished - probably not related to the updated kernel as there have been so many reports of random reboots, but thought I'd mention it. Will keep an eye on it and post again with updates.

Milhouse, both my cards are the ones from 7 Day Shop and they're just fine. I don't have any qualms buying from them.

Chadsawyer, as for compiling your own kernel it's easy if you follow this guide. You need to apply the SDHC patch which requires a bit of editing as the patch is not taken from the 2.6.18 source but if you're familiar with patch then it's not hard to apply the bits patch can't manage. The bog standard kernel does come with ext3 modules though so as far as kernel supports concerned I don't think there's a problem. Whether the ext3 file system tools are available is another matter.

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Ottawa, ON
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
The File Manager app is probably formatting the card using FAT16 (2GB max volume). In future updates the File Manager may need to choose between FAT16 and FAT32 (8TB max volume) depending on the size of the card/partition.
Also keep in mind when you are testing the capacity of your 8 GB cards, even Fat32 formatted cards have a 2 GiB/file limit. So a single dd command will die before it will fill up your card with a big file. You will have to have four files minimum.

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
i have seen mention of this 8GB patch for the kernel. where would i get this kernel that has been patched? can i use the flasher program to put it on a n800? i have not gotten in the habit of compiling my own kernel, and dont want to risk anything going wrong.
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

Check post #73 in this thread. It's not an 8GB patch - it's a patch adding support for SDHC cards which should in theory support card capacities between 4GB and 32GB.

You need to use the Linux flasher and flash only the kernel. Seems to be working OK - I had a single reboot within 24 hours of applying the SDHC kernel, but in the 3 days since then it's been stable.

The SDHC patched kernel has been working fine for me as well. I have an Adata 8GB sdhc card in the internal slot...

Originally Posted by mwiktowy View Post
Also keep in mind when you are testing the capacity of your 8 GB cards, even Fat32 formatted cards have a 2 GiB/file limit.
Would it be possible to format the card as ext2/3 to over come this limit? Is support for ext2 in the kernel, or would that require an additional kernel?

This would require editing /usr/sbin/mmc-mount, but I don't see that as a big deal.

If ext2/3 support was present what I would do is create 3 partitions. A swap partition, a large ext2, and a small vfat. On the vfat I would include an installer for one of the many Win32 ext2 filesystem drivers for the occasional time I might plug into a windows box with usb or via a card reader. Although I don't really have need for files over 2Gib or an 8GB card even.