Active Topics

Pairing up my new n800 to my LG VX8300 verizon phone was no problem. But everytime I try to connect using my phone, the phone seems to dial and then drops the connection.

I am trying to use the 1x network and I have disabled the EVDO stuff on the phone.

I have entered the connection info correctly, I believe. #777, [mynumber]@vzw3g.com, vzw.

Should I be using Packet or Data on the N800?

I know the phone is setup correctly because I can use it as a bluetooth modem from my MacBookPro. I'm sure that I'm missing something silly on this N800. I've only had it out of the box for about 30 minutes now...

Okay, so with a little more research, I have found a reference to the problem in this thread over in HowardForums...

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=998021

"- Edit /etc/ppp/option and uncomment "+pap" and "-chap". It appears that vzw can't handle the attempt at CHAP authentication."

I recall that I did have to do this on my MacBookPro to get it to work with bluetooth DUN as well.

Now my question is, how do I get at "/etc/ppp/option" in order to make the edits required?

Posts: 242 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ USA & BharatVarsh ( INDIA - Kerala ).
You will need to become ' Root ' then you will need to use ' vi editor ' ( or something similar ) to edit the files. You will also need ' xterm '. The details of these ( and their use ) are mentioned comprehensively at maemo.org. Please check that out.

Last edited by Arjun; 2007-01-26 at 22:33.

Arjun,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to this newbie! I will continue to check out the resources at maemo.org....the learning curve on all this is a little steeper than I suspected!

So if I understand you correctly, I need to install xterm onto the N800 first and then become root and then edit the settings....is that right?

Originally Posted by jwtseng View Post
Okay, so with a little more research, I have found a reference to the problem in this thread over in HowardForums...

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=998021

"- Edit /etc/ppp/option and uncomment "+pap" and "-chap". It appears that vzw can't handle the attempt at CHAP authentication."

I recall that I did have to do this on my MacBookPro to get it to work with bluetooth DUN as well.

Now my question is, how do I get at "/etc/ppp/option" in order to make the edits required?
I made the above changes to the /etc/ppp/options file on my N800, and my DUN error went from an authentication error to an internet connection error while trying to connect to Verizon. My bluetooth connection to my LG VX8500 is OK, because I can dial in to my ISP. The phone is set for 1X, etc.

Howard

The Following User Says Thank You to howardcb For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by howardcb View Post
I made the above changes to the /etc/ppp/options file on my N800, and my DUN error went from an authentication error to an internet connection error while trying to connect to Verizon. My bluetooth connection to my LG VX8500 is OK, because I can dial in to my ISP. The phone is set for 1X, etc.

Howard
Howard...

I am experiencing the exact same thing now.... I changed the options file and now I get "Internet connection failed" error message when trying to connect with my phone. I know my phone works, too, because I can use it to access the internet with my MacBookPro no problem.

Anyone have any ideas???

I too am having the same problem with my 700p, works with my laptop so I know its not the phone. If this isn't corrected the 800 goes back.

My settings for my 770 and LG VX8600 are:
Dial-up number: #777
User name: <MDN>@vzw3g.com
Password: vzw

Connection type: Packet data

The <MDN> must automatically retrieve the number from the phone.

The MDM is not necessarily your phone number.

Originally Posted by BanditRider View Post
My settings for my 770 and LG VX8600 are:
Dial-up number: #777
User name: <MDN>@vzw3g.com
Password: vzw

Connection type: Packet data

The <MDN> must automatically retrieve the number from the phone.

The MDM is not necessarily your phone number.
BanditRider...

Do you mean that you just keep the username as "<MDN>@vzw3g.com" instead of changing it to "1234567890@vzw3g.com"???

And I wonder what my MDN is if it is not my number?

Yes, enter it as "<MDN>@vzw3g.com"