Active Topics

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by fms View Post
My guess is that at least the Media Player (audio part), Maps, and Messaging should have portrait interfaces as an option. The reason for selecting these three is that they are most likely to be used on the go, where you pull the device out of your pocket and hold it in one hand.
These are things I think should be _rotatable_ (usable in both portrait and landscape):

1) The system "list of items" widget should be rotatable, so that you can use it in portrait mode (more items visible = faster browsing through the list, less width = less detail per item) OR landscale mode (more detail per item, but fewer items visible).

This definitely applies to Contacts, Media Player (audio or not; portait - just the list of titles/artists/tracks, landscape - include the cover art), buddy list IM, conversation list in IM/SMS, and the application launcher.

2) Media Player for audio controls

(unlike the above message, I'm not going to list Maps (because I don't use that much, so I don't have an opinion about it; and I'm not going to list Messaging, because actual reading and composing of messages I pretty much do in landscape ... I can see it being useful to _read_ messages in portrait, but I doubt I'd ever compose them in portrait).

3) Rhapsody, if there's still going to be a dedicated Maemo app, should have a portrait mode. Basically, same use case as Media Player.

4) Skype. Same use case as the basic phone functionality of Maemo 5. Same with other VOIP apps. It's ok if video-calls are landscape only, but audio calls should be rotatable between portrait and landscape.

5) Document Viewers. All of them should be able to display in either mode. Those that allow editing, MAYBE I can see only doing editing in landscape. But viewing should be doable either way. That applies to web pages as well (web browser should be rotatable).

6) task/todo list (I suppose this sort of fits into item #1, but I wanted to call it out)

7) Calendar (event list and day view, but perhaps not week view nor month view, which I can see as being landscape only)

8) simple calculator view (but advanced calculator in landscape; in fact, on the iPhone, rotation is how you select simple vs advanced calculator modes, there's no other widget for it that I'm aware of).

in contrast, there are things that I am fine with only having a landscape mode:

a) IM/SMS/Email message composing

b) text editors (memo editor, text editor), and probably editor modes of document viewers. Really, anything that you KNOW is going to be heavily driven by text entry is probably going to be ok to have a landscape only restriction (so, in a way, that covers the previous item too).

c) Xterm (I'd hate to have curses based sessions constantly being messed with by rotation, and the canonical terminal dimensions, 80x24, are definitely wider than they are tall) ... with xterm, it's not just that it's text driven, it's that it's a fixed width text grid. Sure, you can re-size an xterm on a regular display, but you don't generally see people doing that frequently -- they pick their preferred window geometry, and keep it. I've never seen someone re-orient it in the middle of a curses driven application, for example.

d) VNC viewer -- some might make the case for it in portrait mode, but I doubt I'd ever use it that way. And I definitely want it to have landscape mode.

e) movie/tv-show/video viewing from a local file (not flash on webpages, as it would probably be too complicated to force some web pages into landscape, while allowing others to be portrait or landscape). Even low-def/non-wide-screen video needs more than 480 pixels of width... Though, I suppose if it's a specialized video that is narrower than 480 pixels, that'd be fine.

I think that's it...

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
If someone does create a "portrait vs landscape" discussion thread, let me know, and I'll re-post mine over there.

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Massachusetts, USA
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
If someone does create a "portrait vs landscape" discussion thread, let me know, and I'll re-post mine over there.
Here you go. I think this is close enough.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...410#post319410

The Following User Says Thank You to mjc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 8 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
Actually, there's no limit for SMS and MMS in my PrePaid plan (Moche, TMN), and I only paid €4,99 per month, with unlimited calls between phones using the same plan (>80% of my friends and family). Portugal has a very competitive market in this area, but data planes, still a rip-off in here .
Vodafone Portugal is offering the above 250MB for 10€ (I guess those 250MB are not base 2 calculated) which translates roughly 25c per MB.

Whenever I am in Portugal it is enough for me to be on Twitter and checking my mails and replying to them on a regular basis. Rip off are the wifi rates at Hotels and those from Portugal Telecom wi-fi spots ;-)

Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Zargon View Post
Vodafone Portugal is offering the above 250MB for 10€ (I guess those 250MB are not base 2 calculated) which translates roughly 25c per MB.

Whenever I am in Portugal it is enough for me to be on Twitter and checking my mails and replying to them on a regular basis. Rip off are the wifi rates at Hotels and those from Portugal Telecom wi-fi spots ;-)
Unlimited data plane FTW (Actually, there's already 3g cards with unlimited data tariffs, let's hope).

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Battery life? Anybody with a pre-release model care to comment?

Eldar said "in practice it proves to be more power-hungry than the N97...but don't forget we got our hands on a proto..version"

The higher power CPU and higher resolution screen (over the N97) pretty much confirm what he says without ever having held the device (laws of physics and all that) but I wonder can it survive a day of heavy usage without re-charging? That would already be fantastic.

Originally Posted by Espoo888 View Post
Battery life? Anybody with a pre-release model care to comment?
The quote I have seen from the same Eldar is "one day active use, two days normal use".

Out of plain curiosity, could someone from Nokia answer why the BL-5J battery has been chosen over higher-capacity BP-5L or BP-4L for the new device? They seem to be more or less identical in size. So, is it the cost or some other reason?

The Following User Says Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
I ve found a evidence ...

I use my n810 only with one hand and a beer in an other one :

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3155/...e4465623e8.jpg

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Khertan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@khertan: do you know why that works? d-pad.
And it's obvious that you can't move your thumb anywhere else from that d-pad position.

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 42 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Nottingham
I am so disappointed the screen is smaller than n800.

The Following User Says Thank You to ptaffs For This Useful Post:

Tags
fremantle, maemo, n900