Active Topics

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
So the moment has arrived. Along with all the rumors on the N900 and the next exit of the device, (well, just a bit earlier, I admit, since I have the new gadget since one month) I sold my N800.

It was not easy to sell it, really. But I was carrying a *lot* of devices with me and I wanted to gain some space and some weight in my pockets.
I sold my N800 and the E51 and bought an HTC Magic. I no longer carry my Sony TH55 with me, as well.

This is to say, I'm not an active part of ITT since lots of months because I was using the N800 just for ebook reading and MP3 playing during my plane trips, so I wasn't caring a lot about booting the system off the SD card, or trying Mer or whatever. But I always did have a look at ITT (or, let's say TMO, but I am still used to the old style name ) every now and then, and I will not unsubscribe my account since I am still interested in Maemo devices. The only thing is that I wanted to change now, and the N900 is still a long way ahead (or, at least it is for someone loke me who alreeady sold its phone and IT ), and I even don't know if we in italy will have any sort of carrier selling the N900 with some kid of contract (what I have done with the Magic). At 550 euros it is not for me, not at the moment. I agree it is a GREAT device (every review I see I have to convince myself it is too expensive for what the differences are with the Magic...), but maybe I will wait the end of next year to get one.

Just some consideration on what I gained and what I have lost by selling the N800.

I gained a good integration, having all of my stuff in one device; no longer using the TH55 as the agenda, the E51 for the phone and the N800 for multimedia and browsing.
I got a touch screen which is much more responsive and finger usable when compared to the N800 (even if I was not using the stylus a lot, I admit).
The integration between all of my contacts, on the phone, on Google, and what else (still struggling to sync with my Mac, tough..) is just a click away.
I can charge and sync and vpn and.. through a unique cable.

What I have lost: I got an awesome touch screen but I lost an awesome screen. Really, ebook reading on the Magic is absolutely not comparable to the one on the N800, eventough I am still using FB Reader.
I am not still able to hear MP3 on the Magic since I still have to receive the adapter for the standard headphone jack. Well, yes, I can hear to some MP3 but not still able to *listen to* MP3.. The stock headphones are a pain, but in this I must say that also the Nokia ones were. But, with the N800 I just had to plug in my pair of Sony MDR EX32 and voilą. I guess that also the Sony were offended by the N800 give-away since they also stopped working, I am now waiting a pair of Shure SE110 from an internet seller. :|
Lost a great battery time. Android is still not very good at power / resource managing, at this point of its development, at least IMHO. More than once I turned it to plane mode in the evening when I had 40% of charge and in the morning it was dead. 40%, plane mode, vs dead in the morning. Well..
I know that Android is managing resources as "it kills program when it needs resources, trust it and you won't need any task killer", but, really, it is not real, not at the moment..
Finally I have lost a great community. Not that Android hasn't got any, but I loved the people here (that's why I said I won't go), Texrat, Mara, GeneralAntilles, Bunason, qwerty12, Reggie, debernardis, zerojay,Karel Jensens, qole, quim gil, penguinbait, andrewfblack, yodude and whoever else I am for sure forgetting at the moment.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to maxilogan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
/me tries not to sniffle...

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Well, I bet that sooner or later we'll meet here again :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
If your interested you should consider installing a custom rom image. It has several benefits from improved performance, better software keyboard, etc.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I recommend you to lookup Spare Parts in the Android market. It allows you to fine tune the graphical effects, but more important, it provides several statistics which help you find the application that eat away your battery at night. What you describe with battery life is not the way is has to be.
I charge my G1 (even less battery capacity than the magic) at night, use it normally during the day, and end up with about 50% battery in the evening.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
yeah, I wish there was a community for Android that was as good as ITT/TMO. *sigh*

(I also wish there was an Android phone with a 4.1" 800x480 screen ;-) )

The Following User Says Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I wish N900 would have the good features of Android phones like automatic orientation switching, compass (necessary for augmented reality stuff), capacitive touchscreen, 5 row keyboard, a somewhat usable app market, and an SDK that can attract other programmers than just hardcore Linux geeks.

Last edited by pycage; 2009-09-02 at 06:29.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Well, I bet that sooner or later we'll meet here again :-)
Truest words spoken..

Tags
maemo android