Notices

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by icbolsh View Post
So what is the fix if it says "need more than 2 values to unpack". Are we waiting for an update from epage? DC was working perfectly until I opened it while off line. now it asks for my login and when I put it in it has issues.
Are you running 1.0.5-2? I think I fixed the issue there.

Originally Posted by epage View Post
Are you running 1.0.5-2? I think I fixed the issue there.
My Bad. I just saw that there is a 1.0.5-2. I was just going to edit my post. Sorry about it.

Yes, that fixed it (upgrade to latest).

New opinions:

Recent tab, the names are cut off
Contacts: Good size, maybe slightly bigger? Or have an option for font control on each tab? I find it perfect but as others have said it might be to small for them.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2009-09-02 at 02:34.

Hi Epage.

I tried messing with the code a bit to give you an idea of what I think is "thumb friendly" and also would like for other users to comment on it. Here is my contacts tab. I stretched the rows to the "optomial" size. I was unable to figure out how to change the font to fit the scale, but you get the idea.

The size can be accomplished in the recent view as well. Simply shorten down the time like you had before, leave them small, and the contact name large. Instead of showing the number, clicking the name brings up the contact info with all numbers available. (probably a pain to do)

One other idea. In messages view, when you click on a message to reply, we are forced to click the sms button in order to start replying to the message. Can you instead have the reply window there to eliminate a step. You can leave the sms button there in order to send the sms, and include a Call button or something similar incase you wanted to simply call the user. I have also taken the liberty in doing a mock up of how I envision the app as it moves forward photo support linked to the saved address book would be such a spiffy touch

http://img530.imageshack.us/i/screenshot03.png

Last edited by mrdally204; 2009-09-02 at 11:39.

I'm guessing checkbox is grayed out so you can't select to turn it on? If so this is because of a larger issue I've noticed in your screenshots and I have posted about asking for helping in debugging this issue. Dialcentral is not Hildonizing for you. So far I have received no complaints from other users of this behavior which makes me even more curious as to whats going on.
"Strange! can't turn notifications on, it seems that I'm the only one that have this problem here .. epage how can i fix it?
Attached Images

Originally Posted by mrdally204 View Post
Hi Epage.

I tried messing with the code a bit to give you an idea of what I think is "thumb friendly" and also would like for other users to comment on it. Here is my contacts tab. I stretched the rows to the "optomial" size. I was unable to figure out how to change the font to fit the scale, but you get the idea.

The size can be accomplished in the recent view as well. Simply shorten down the time like you had before, leave them small, and the contact name large. Instead of showing the number, clicking the name brings up the contact info with all numbers available. (probably a pain to do)
I've done some refinements, I hope it helps.

As for the name being on the recent list: I have a lot of calls not in my address book and I like to have the number to check for uniqueness in the call and the location to jog my memory as to who it is. If I can specialize on known contacts and unknown to display number, it wouldn't do much good because the unknown would still be wide.

One other idea. In messages view, when you click on a message to reply, we are forced to click the sms button in order to start replying to the message. Can you instead have the reply window there to eliminate a step. You can leave the sms button there in order to send the sms, and include a Call button or something similar incase you wanted to simply call the user. I have also taken the liberty in doing a mock up of how I envision the app as it moves forward photo support linked to the saved address book would be such a spiffy touch
Could you file a feature request so I can continue to track this?

I added my ideas to the 4409 Improved Messaging UI posts.

As for the name being on the recent list: I have a lot of calls not in my address book and I like to have the number to check for uniqueness in the call and the location to jog my memory as to who it is. If I can specialize on known contacts and unknown to display number, it wouldn't do much good because the unknown would still be wide.
I did not think about that. Most of my calls are from know people. Is there a way to compromise? Name for the known users else return the number of the unknown callers? I'm sure it would require a lot of tinkering on your part to pull it off. What do you think of the pics in the contact/messages frame

Feel free to message me anytime with a question or if you want me to try things out I surely will.

The Following User Says Thank You to mrdally204 For This Useful Post:
I did not think about that. Most of my calls are from know people. Is there a way to compromise? Name for the known users else return the number of the unknown callers? I'm sure it would require a lot of tinkering on your part to pull it off. What do you think of the pics in the contact/messages frame

Feel free to message me anytime with a question or if you want me to try things out I surely will.
As I mentioned, with unknown people its good to have both location and number. With both of those, the column(s) already become big enough that you might as well use number on everyone.

Pics, if not already a feature request would be another decent one. It would not fit in well within the original focus of being a touch friendly way to quickly initiate calls. I am doing some investigation to break away from that though. Don't expect much though

Any progress is good progress. With the unknown callers, I had it envisioned as seeing the number in your main recent list, then if you are still unsure, clicking on it gave you the location/number ect. Not really a big deal as I do not find myself clicking on names much from the recent list, just tossing some ideas and seeing what sticks.

I was previously using the GV_notifier stand alone app before you implemented it. I am now missing my sound notifications much more than I previously thought I would. Is there an easy way for us users to add a little code and sound file to bring it back and work with the way you are now looking for messages?

You mentioned looking into another way of doing things. I'm curious as to what you envision dialcentral to evolve into and finally become.

Thanks for taking our comments and turning them into reality. I think I'm having more fun giving feed back and ideas than actually using the app

Last edited by mrdally204; 2009-09-03 at 02:06.

I was previously using the GV_notifier stand alone app before you implemented it. I am now missing my sound notifications much more than I previously thought I would. Is there an easy way for us users to add a little code and sound file to bring it back and work with the way you are now looking for messages?
I can't remember when I posted this but I implemented a feature for advanced users to do this. In the "~/.dialcentral/settings.ini" file under the "[alarm]" section is a "notifier = " field. You can set that to a custom app that will be ran every N minutes. I provide a custom notifier as an example in "/usr/lib/dialcentral/example_custom_notifier.py". From my testing it appears to run. It includes the gv_notifier sound code but it is there for example purposes only, I have not tested it.

You mentioned looking into another way of doing things. I'm curious as to what you envision dialcentral to evolve into and finally become.
I'd like to do some more research before saying anything more. I don't want to over promise on things.

Thanks for taking our comments and turning them into reality. I think I'm having more fun giving feed back and ideas than actually using the app
I definitely appreciate it.