Hello,

The latest OS 2006 Edition for Nokia 770 tablets is available at:
http://maemo.org/downloads/nokia_770

The release notes:

* Improved quality of WLAN connections
* Wi-Fi certification included

On behalf of the team,
ferenc

Opera version in new release (2006.49-2) is 8.02, build 1.1.50. What was it previously (os version 2006.39-14)? You can see it if you type
Code:
about:opera
to address bar.

Edit:
Opera still opens two pop-up windows with d-pad selection key and press&hold esc to close one opera window still makes previous window to go back. No change in Opera I guess. Tap&hold with stylus and select 'close window' crashed Opera. Oh well...

Last edited by Invicta; 2007-01-26 at 16:02.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
The same...

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
Edit:
Opera still opens two pop-up windows with d-pad selection key and press&hold esc to close one opera window still makes previous window to go back. No change in Opera I guess. Tap&hold with stylus and select 'close window' crashed Opera. Oh well...
Have you installed any other apps, or is your 770 still running the base install? If the latter, this rules out any other apps interacting with Opera and the Opera bugs you're seeing are fundamental bugs that need addressing.

The bug you appear to describe (two windows opening) was opened in June 2006 - bug #579.

Makes you wonder what the point is submitting bug requests to Nokia, doesn't it?

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Have you installed any other apps, or is your 770 still running the base install? If the latter, this rules out any other apps interacting with Opera and the Opera bugs you're seeing are fundamental bugs that need addressing.

The bug you appear to describe (two windows opening) was opened in June 2006 - bug #579.

Makes you wonder what the point is submitting bug requests to Nokia, doesn't it?
First thing I did was restore backup and check if Opera is fixed, so no other software were installed at that point. I think HW-buttons and tap&hold -> 'close window' worked much better with Os2005. Most of all I wonder how they can miss this kind of basic bugs before they released Opera.

I even returned one new 770 which I got to replace my faulty unit and talked about this bug to someone at Nokia responsible of repairs at this country. I thought it had broken button because this happened same time Os2006 came out.

Last edited by Invicta; 2007-01-26 at 17:28.

The Following User Says Thank You to Invicta For This Useful Post:
Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
I'm not seeing any major improvement in the browser other than it being a bit snappier and it renders pages a bit smoother. I also still have the "clone window" issue as well, but never heard of it crashing from closing windows from any of the menus. Not happening for me in any case. All in all, no big deal unless you like reseting a bunch of stuff and reinstalling all your apps.
3pm - So good, it's illegal

Has anyone else noticed a drastic change in the boot time on 2006.49-2?

Typically I shut off my 770 at night and plug it in to charge. Since updating to 2006-49-2, I noticed that when I slide off the cover to turn it back on, the backlight comes on (with a blank black screen). Then When I turn it on, I get the Nokia logo, then in less than 5 seconds, I see the Nokia Hands screen, then the UI comes up. No more do I see the little blue bar creep across the screen.

I first thought this might be some sort of bug, but now I'm beginning to think this is a big improvement. Basically I've gone from apx. 30-40 seconds boot time, to <10.

I have repeatedly shut down/turned on the device and this behavior is consistent every time.

The only thing that I wonder about is the backlight coming on while the device is presumably shut down. I wonder what exactly is going on inside there?

Any thoughts?

Originally Posted by superbondbond View Post
Has anyone else noticed a drastic change in the boot time on 2006.49-2?

Typically I shut off my 770 at night and plug it in to charge. Since updating to 2006-49-2, I noticed that when I slide off the cover to turn it back on, the backlight comes on (with a blank black screen). Then When I turn it on, I get the Nokia logo, then in less than 5 seconds, I see the Nokia Hands screen, then the UI comes up. No more do I see the little blue bar creep across the screen.

I first thought this might be some sort of bug, but now I'm beginning to think this is a big improvement. Basically I've gone from apx. 30-40 seconds boot time, to <10.

I have repeatedly shut down/turned on the device and this behavior is consistent every time.

The only thing that I wonder about is the backlight coming on while the device is presumably shut down. I wonder what exactly is going on inside there?

Any thoughts?
After you've shut down, have you tried popping the battery, just to make sure it's shut off all the way? That should be a good way to see if the new boot time is indeed a bonus.

Originally Posted by spycedtx View Post
After you've shut down, have you tried popping the battery, just to make sure it's shut off all the way? That should be a good way to see if the new boot time is indeed a bonus.
Bingo! That did it.

Took out the battery, put it back it. Then it boot with the normal progress bar, 30-40 seconds.

Now after three or four reboots, it is still acting as it "should"*

* 10 seconds to fully boot was kinda nice. How do I get that back

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Ottawa, ON
Originally Posted by superbondbond View Post
Bingo! That did it.

Took out the battery, put it back it. Then it boot with the normal progress bar, 30-40 seconds.

Now after three or four reboots, it is still acting as it "should"*

* 10 seconds to fully boot was kinda nice. How do I get that back
What is happening is that during charging, the tablet is actually on. If it was off when you plugged it in, it will turn on and go to a state where everything is booted except the desktop. When you press the power button, the desktop gets loaded really quickly and *presto* quick boot time.

If you press the off button while it is plugged in, it will not actually turn off but rather just shutdown the desktop and go into charging mode.

The trick here is to never turn off your tablet. Just plug it in when it needs juice. With the screen off (cover on), no media player running and no wifi connection, the battery will last several days in this state.

The only reason to to a full reboot is to unstick some app that went belly-up and you have to do this while the tablet is unplugged otherwise it won't fully poweroff.