Posts: 12 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Bruxelles (brussel, Belgium)
I want to buy a PQI 4gb and 150 X , does it work ?
link

I'm a total newbie , does I need a kernel or other things and how to?

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Assuming the PQI is SD rather than SDHC you do NOT need a modified kernel - the stock Nokia kernel should work assuming there is nothing unusual about the PQI card itself.

If the PQI 4GB card is SDHC (aka SD 2.0) then you WILL need the modified kernel referenced in post #73 - without it the N800 won't be able to access the card at all. In order to update the N800 with the modified kernel you need to download the flasher 3.0 utility from maemo.org and run it on a Linux x86 PC (or use a LiveCD distro). Post again if you need more flasher instructions and your proposed card is SDHC/SD 2.0.

Hey just wanted to let everyone know to exoect 16GB SDHC cards this year. Panasonic is one manufacturer who has stated this intention.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0701/07...nicsdcards.asp

Pretty predictable development but it's nice to have it in writing.

Transcend 8GB Class 2 SDHC for 101 EUR/68 GBP/130 USD here - very, very tempting...

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-01-31 at 11:24.

I just read some news predicting that flash memory prices might drop by as much as 50% this year due to overproduction.
Caveat emptor :-)

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
I just read some news predicting that flash memory prices might drop by as much as 50% this year due to overproduction.
Man that must be bad news some where, but not in my house!

Originally Posted by fpp View Post
I would expect the price of flash memory to drop anyway, and a 50% drop may or may not happen - it's a bit like waiting for the next new device and not buying the current one, you'll be doing it forever!

www.memory-configurator.com also has Transcend 4GB SDHC cards on sale for £24 which I thought good value for a name-brand card.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-01-31 at 16:52.

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Germany
Hi,
I'm thinking about buying a large SD-card for the internal slot. Do you think the speed of the card does matter (swap-file..)? Or will the "slow" card feel the same? Any experiences?

I've got two Adata 8gb SDHC cards in my n800 right now and it is working great. I've had no reboots since installing them and uploading around 2.5gb to them so far. They are formatted fat32, is anyone using ext2 with their sd cards? I would not be able to mount them on my windows work box anymore but I use debian 99% of the time. Any other drawbacks to using ext2?

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Munich, Germany
roegerp
Hi,
I'm thinking about buying a large SD-card for the internal slot. Do you think the speed of the card does matter (swap-file..)? Or will the "slow" card feel the same? Any experiences?
I'm in the same position. My N800 is on its way and I am going to invest in a couple of large cards: but do I buy SD cards or go to the trouble of flashing and buy SDHC? Are there real user benefits in terms of speed, or is it just that SDHC can go over the 4GB limit?

I'd really appreciate the advice as I really want to get some cards ASAP. I'm a bit of a newbie so flashing makes me feel a bit nervous, but I will learn how to do it if SDHC brings me real benefits. Thanks.