Active Topics

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Is there support for python/ruby/perl scripting for widgets? A plugin 'wrapper' or something. If not, it would be GREAT to be able to rapidly prototype and roll out widgets.
You could in Diablo: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...4&postcount=34

Given the final SDK isn't out for Fremantle, we've not seen the details on doing it for Fremantle - I assume it won't be too different.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joppu View Post
I really want to kinda stick to the Maemo 5/Nokia style and not just copy Apple.
Even if you don't want to copy that design, the reflections on the nipple help it be visible even against a dark background. I'd suggest adding at least something similar.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
@Jaffa,

Thanks for that. I figured there was support. Do you have any idea how open the api is to the python interpreter? For example, can widgets have access to accelerometer data? Is perl supported too?

I'm thinking some virtual fish swimming about my display is impressive enough to get me laid.

I may try my hand at a widget for fun! I'd love to have a generic remote-control widget that can execute pre-defined shell commands to do whatever.

It's official, Maemo rox.

}:^|~

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
I know nothing of Python but I'm pretty sure that Perl isn't supported due to it lacking GTK+ bindings (for one) in the repository, forget Hildon ones for applications even.

Last edited by qwerty12; 2009-09-04 at 16:45.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
A wrapper could take care of that (in a limited way), though it's probably far more trouble than it's worth for the majority of tasks. Thanks for the info!

};^)~

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by livefreeordie View Post
...visible even against a dark background.
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
although I worry that the outline might be indistinct against a dark background.
Well, the battery itself isn't solid black, it's more reflective. I tested and it seemed to be visible even on an black backround, or what do you think?:

Personally, I'd rather have something similar to what my laptop has. IE, it shows the % remaining, and the estimated number of minutes/hours remaining based on current usage patterns over the past 5 minutes.

Originally Posted by joppu View Post
Well, the battery itself isn't solid black, it's more reflective. I tested and it seemed to be visible even on an black backround, or what do you think?:
Black isn't the worst case. The worst case is a dark image with a pattern that blends into the nipple. I'd add stronger highlights. The rest of the battery is large enough to not really have that issue.

Posts: 462 | Thanked: 550 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Moscow
Percentage and/or timeleft or none (give the user options to configure it ) on the battery widget looks nice. When I realese new AP and APM, I'll take a closer look at the fremntle's hildondesktop-python, but writting such widget seems to be not a hard thing to do.

Posts: 198 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by 412b View Post
Percentage and/or timeleft or none (give the user options to configure it ) on the battery widget looks nice.
The sad truth is that the power consumption varies so much depending on the use case that it's not really reasonable (imho) to give any estimate about residual use time.

What can be given - somehow - is the residual battery charge.

Of course it all would be much more simple if the battery had an integrated uC like most laptop batteries do.

P.S.
It's cool to be able to post again without having to worry of giving away something considered confidential.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to igor For This Useful Post: