Active Topics

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
NZtechfreak, that sounds great. Any videos of this in use?

Which behaviour are you referring to? If you mean page down on space bar in the N900 its the Peter Schnaider video I mentioned, searching for his name + N900 in youtube should bring it up (otherwise its linked from an article on the Symbian-Freak front page today).

If you mean zoom+reflow text on double tap, probably the best example video would be the hands on with the HTC Hero browser on youtube (can't remember the exact title to be more specific).

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
It was the zoom+reflow I was referring too. Thanks for the youtube hint. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzNF4JPfKtM seems to show it quite well, and looks good. Nice portrait mode UI and onscreen keyboard too, although I'm not convinced by the pincing to zoom out.

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Paris, France
I watched the video by JKK and was quite disappointed by the double tap zooming function in the browser. It doesn't reflow the text to fit the width of the screen. :-(

http://www.umpcportal.com/2009/09/jk...o-and-podcast/

Maybe it was the WiFi connetion or the pre-production version. At least I hope it was... Any other example showing a fit to screen effect? Of course, vids where the zoomed in text does not overflow the screen size do not proof that some sort of width management is in place.

Thanks,
Antonio

The Following User Says Thank You to noventa98 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 51 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Australia
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Obviously Nokia considered that option and decided the time investment would cost more than the feature was worth.

Obviously? Spoken like a true General, autocratically but.....! This is a great feature well worthwhile when it works and for us sight-challenged users will be even more important on smaller screens (read N900). Isn't this something that the community could fix? Like many here I use FWTV a lot but would like to see it improved. Without it browsing is well nigh impossible for me.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Markosib View Post
Obviously? Spoken like a true General, autocratically but.....!
There isn't an explanation that isn't covered by my statement. You're free to disagree with Nokia, but that doesn't change the validity of my point.

This is a great feature well worthwhile when it works and for us sight-challenged users will be even more important on smaller screens (read N900).
Why not reserve judgement until you try the device? FWTV isn't the only solution to the problem, and maybe you'll find you like the solutions Nokia decided were workable more.

Isn't this something that the community could fix? Like many here I use FWTV a lot but would like to see it improved.
Then scratch your own itch! That's what open source is all about. MicroB is open source, if you want FWTV then make it happen.

Without it browsing is well nigh impossible for me.
Again, this seems like a strange summary judgement to make without having used the device.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Australia
There isn't an explanation that isn't covered by my statement. You're free to disagree with Nokia, but that doesn't change the validity of my point.
You seem to know that Nokia 'obviously' decided not to fix FWTV...I'm not so well connected! But there would be no cost in leaving the feature intact and as-is. To me it is important!

Why not reserve judgement until you try the device? FWTV isn't the only solution to the problem, and maybe you'll find you like the solutions Nokia decided were workable more.
What? Swirly and tap&tap. Is there something else? Both of these features are worthy but neither deal with my need to zoom and squeeze.

Then scratch your own itch! That's what open source is all about. MicroB is open source, if you want FWTV then make it happen.
Yes General I'm itchy, thats why I'm here! Being a part of the solution....

Again, this seems like a strange summary judgement to make without having used the device.
Have I missed something? I can't read it without zoom and if I zoom I must scroll...! Its the scrolling that's a pain, no?

What is obvious is that others here feel similarly and together we are looking for solutions.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
You seem to know that Nokia 'obviously' decided not to fix FWTV...I'm not so well connected! But there would be no cost in leaving the feature intact and as-is. To me it is important!
Actually, there would be. If they ship it, it has to be supported. Supporting it costs in time and testing. No feature is free.

Even with support-costs aside, in its current state, FWTV has lead to more user confusion about the functionality of the browser than any single other feature. You don't know how many times I've helped people who thought that MicroB was complete trash because they had FWTV turned on and it was ruining all of the site rendering.

What? Swirly and tap&tap. Is there something else? Both of these features are worthy but neither deal with my need to zoom and squeeze.
That's a determination you can't make until you use the device.

Yes General I'm itchy, thats why I'm here! Being a part of the solution....
Then you're better off not worrying about what Nokia has decided to do and, instead, should figure out what you want to do.

Have I missed something? I can't read it without zoom and if I zoom I must scroll...! Its the scrolling that's a pain, no?
I still recommend reserving final judgement until you use the browser.

What is obvious is that others here feel similarly and together we are looking for solutions.
OK, easy, grab the source once the final SDK is out and put together a plugin. Perhaps you'll even be able to do it better than Nokia could manage. If so, there's always the chance Nokia may end up integrating your patch in the future.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 122 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Paris, France
We have no complete answer from members here with hands-on experience regarding the browser when it comes to zooming in text (either double tap or swirling). The only example is the video mentioned in my earlier post, which shows that zooming does not re-flow the text, so one is obliged to scroll horizontally. Any testimony/video to the contrary?

Kanishou mentioned earlier that you can increase font size, which will re-flow the text. How do you do that? Are the hardware buttons used for that? Or do you have to dig into the menu to obtain a larger font? He also mentions that the device does not remember the setting when you navigate away from the page.

Can both functions work combined, and how? Let us say one increases font and then double taps to fit the screen. Will it work or will you just lose the increased font in the second step?

Any of the early N900 users can jump-in and share his or her experience and point to vids which I may have missed?

Thanks,
Antonio

Last edited by noventa98; 2009-09-21 at 10:07.

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
But there would be no cost in leaving the feature intact and as-is. To me it is important!
That feature NEVER WAS intact. It was a huge source of bugs and never worked well. And no, Nokia won't continue shipping this broken "Fit to width view" concept and I am happy about it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:

Tags
fixed in harmattan, what is microb?