Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
I know that the n900 has the fm transmitter and i would love to stream my music to my car stereo without all those clunky wires.

I have read somewhere that the fm transmitter on the n97 is actually useless since the output is very weak and there is a lot of noise compared to a stand alone fm transmitter.

Is this true?

Thanks

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Chicago/D.C./Katowice
the one in the n79 works like a charm, absolutely perfect

The Following User Says Thank You to UCOMM For This Useful Post:
I have never had very good luck with the various fm transmitters I have tried over the years for use in car with an mp3 player, so I would not be surprised if it sucked

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I also really like this component

I wonder how big of a battery drain it would be... but then again, if you were to use it to stream sound to your car's stereo, then you just need to get a car charger to avoid any power problems.

Output power shouldn't be much of a problem given the proximity to the receiver in this particular usecase.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Is it a stereo or a mono transmitter?

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I've had very mixed results with FM transmitters before. It's really too hard to predict without having the hardware in my hands. When I do, I'll let you know, if possible.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Also, is ALL the sound pushed, or just certain apps? Is it the same as plugging in a 3rd party FM transmitter?

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Madrid, Spain
Hello,
I have used it a lot of times with my N78 and its usability depends a lot on the car you are using it. Since the car is rounded with metal and the antenna is outside of the car it works perfect if you put the phone outside of the car but once you are inside it depens on how shielded the car's radio is. I have seen it work perfect in some cars and couldn't use it at all in others.
Another downside of it is that if you are travelling long distances while using it its difficult to find an unused frequency because the stations use diferent frequencies in different cities (at least in my country, Spain) so an unused frequency in one city or region may be in use in another and you have to change the frequency the phone is broadcasting in.

Bye.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hellmur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sweden
FM transmitters are not that good, they are a compromise as almost no cars had a cassette anymore, and jonly the last years cars have had an AUX / iPod input.
I have to say that the results are depending on a lot of factors, so if you are keen on having better sound try to install an AUX input or use the simple cassette I KNOW that it is sooooo Yesterday....but is bad sound the present Future ?.
maybe FM transmitters will surprise me now, but have no great hopes for that.
But as I say I am very picky, I use at least 192kbs when ripping, but still sound can be of dubious quality... but very handy

Coming from the US, I can tell you that the difference between a good and not-so-good FM transmitter depends heavily on its ability to broadcast at 87.9MHz. This frequency is generally vacant (for reasons unknown to me) and often not a selectable option on consumer FM transmitters.

Anyone know if the N900 can broadcast at 87.9MHz?