Notices

Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
They're more like the last icon in my screenshot, the white square with an arrow in it.
You don't think those are a bit TOO simple/ugly? lol, it's your app, so its up to you

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
It's just the way the icons look like in the Fremantle SDK.

I would like to have the same look & feel and make the app look like it was born for Fremantle

So my "default" icon set would be the Maemo5-style.
Other icon sets are accepted of course.

Thank you btw

The Following User Says Thank You to anidel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Would it make more sense a STT (speech to text) for Xournal?

What's the point of writing notes, have them recognized (OCR) and then synthesized ?
You can write notes with the nice keyboard or you can store your voice with an audio recorder.
Yes, I agree TTS for xournal is probably not the best feature to implement. I was just answering question of the original poster's inquisition regarding TTS.

Anyway, I never came across a good library that accepts handwriting and coverts to text.
What I was referring to with the stroke capturing would use a block (read: word), the strokes, and probabilities to guess which word was written, rather than doing it on a character by character basis.

But this is just something that's possible if we start separating strokes. The more immediate benefits are word wrapping, auto-newline, auto scrolling, text styling, paragraph justification, text boxes, etc, which would IMO improve xournal greatly for note taking.

Ignoring hand writing recognition for a second:

Consider being able to define a box of text, and have the words that you've written re-organize themselves as you reshape/resize the box. Consider also, that the page automatically scrolls and newlines as you are writing (even if it doesn't understand *what* you are writing) without having to do this manually. With this in place, a user could easily write as fast on xournal as they would using paper even given the N900's relatively small screen. Remember, that as part of these scenario's xournal is only grouping strokes together as words and does not need to concern itself about what those strokes represent.

}:^)~

I think i can add automatic scrolling upwards when you start writing on the second half of the screen (the lower part).

This only should be done when in "note-taking mode" not in "drawing" mode, as Xournal doesn't have any way of notice if you're drawing sketches of writing notes.

A menu switch will activate/deactivate it.

Not sure when I'll implement it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anidel For This Useful Post:
Just a suggestion:

Can't you eliminate the need of the move icon by using our fingers?
(Our finger is having a bigger radius than stylus) this way you can detect if we want to write/sketch or just moving the page.

Similar can be done to the icons (big transparent icons where you can see through them into your sketch) if we hit them with our finger (Where it have a bigger radius) it will activate it and in same if we just wrote/sketched through our stylus and passed near the icons it will ignore it.

I hope I gave you a clear idea of what I am trying imply here.
&
Good luck in your project

Edit:
The same concept can be done though pressure, you might want to check this out http://wiki.maemo.org/Using_touch_screen_pressure_data

Last edited by f(x); 2009-09-18 at 23:53.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to f(x) For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by f(x) View Post
Can't you eliminate the need of the move icon by using our fingers?
(Our finger is having a bigger radius than stylus) this way you can detect if we want to write/sketch or just moving the page.
Nice idea, except for those people who prefer not to use the stylus at all.

Tim

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
@Tim

Not much point in using xournal then eh?

As a switchable feature I think it would be nice to scroll with the finger. I like f(x)'s idea.

}:^)~

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Not much point in using xournal then eh?
You should see me take notes with the tip of my finger.

Tim

The Following User Says Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
How about something more like this:

Transparent:
Attached Images

Last edited by joppu; 2009-09-20 at 19:55.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joppu For This Useful Post:
I will try them soon

Thank you...