Active Topics

Originally Posted by UCOMM View Post
of course

ask yourself, how many people have large desktop computers anymore? the number is dwindling

eventually we'll all move from laptops to "mobile computers"
I don't think it'll be purely mobile computers. Maybe mobile computers + docks. Unless things are integrated with us by then.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
No docks. More technology will arise to use your TV as a monitor for your phone wirelessly, I'd imagine.

And I agree with most of what Gerbick said. (except for the G6 issue. It was the economy. Most of the people that'd buy G6s were broke and no credit was available. Pontiac was an ok brand but GM has too many irons in the fire

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
For products in this category, it has to come down to its features:expectations match to the customer's to have a lasting appeal.

All the hype and grand advertisements in the world can only make a batch of early adopters pick the phone up.. to have the staying power to last longer it has to stand up to 'reviewers' scrutiny. In this case, the 'reviewers' may be a 'geek' somewhere who makes personal recommendation to his close friends about gadget purchases or someone who works in IT purchasing department.

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
No docks. More technology will arise to use your TV as a monitor for your phone wirelessly, I'd imagine.

And I agree with most of what Gerbick said. (except for the G6 issue. It was the economy. Most of the people that'd buy G6s were broke and no credit was available. Pontiac was an ok brand but GM has too many irons in the fire
I meant docks in the most generic form. Basically you could have access to charge+ display/audio out + maybe input in. Not specifically a Zune HD or iPod dock (ugh while I see how useful they are I just hate how they're stuck to one platform). Why not just have a "dock" with audio out plugs + charging capability. Though I guess in their cases, it comes with proprietary information to control said device.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sacramento, California
What Nokia marketing ***** came up with the idea of basically saying "This is good but it's not as good as what's coming next". It's basically saying, "DON'T BUY THIS ONE, WAIT". Who wants to own the "stepping stone" device? It already sounds obsolete and outdated.

And then again what ***** said, or has unintentionally given the notion, we're stopping at Maemo 6. After that, it's a dead OS.

I intellectually know that neither of these are true. But, both items can really be read that way or has the ability of being interpreted through some of that definition.

Has Apple ever said OS 3.0 is a stepping stone in our evolution to OS 4.0 which will be better than sliced bread. No, because it would get people yearning for OS 4.0 and skipping OS 3.0 in favor of waiting.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Munk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Beijing
Originally Posted by Munk View Post
What Nokia marketing ***** came up with the idea of basically saying "This is good but it's not as good as what's coming next". It's basically saying, "DON'T BUY THIS ONE, WAIT". Who wants to own the "stepping stone" device? It already sounds obsolete and outdated.

And then again what ***** said, or has unintentionally given the notion, we're stopping at Maemo 6. After that, it's a dead OS.

I intellectually know that neither of these are true. But, both items can really be read that way or has the ability of being interpreted through some of that definition.

Has Apple ever said OS 3.0 is a stepping stone in our evolution to OS 4.0 which will be better than sliced bread. No, because it would get people yearning for OS 4.0 and skipping OS 3.0 in favor of waiting.
I think it was a bit of expectations management gone awry. What he basically wanted to say was YES: great device, cool features, new and exciting OS, BUT: not yet as developed for say businesses etc. as symbian (or insert a cautionary term of your own choosing). Sadly what it sounds like is: see this device? well we're coming out with a better one at some point in the future!

This coupled with the fact that the people who were presenting the Nokia products were perhaps not the coolest cats in town. No offense to them, they're definitely great at their jobs but honestly steve jobs is FUN to watch, he sells. The presenters that Nokia were using lacked a bit of the charisma of jobs.

This gave the whole launch the air of being a bit "older" than it should have been.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freppas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ München, DE
Originally Posted by freppas View Post
This coupled with the fact that the people who were presenting the Nokia products were perhaps not the coolest cats in town. No offense to them, they're definitely great at their jobs but honestly steve jobs is FUN to watch, he sells. The presenters that Nokia were using lacked a bit of the charisma of jobs.
The problem is that Apple doesn't sell licenses for their RDD[tm] (Reality Distortion Device).

SCNR, really.

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Beijing
Originally Posted by range View Post
The problem is that Apple doesn't sell licenses for their RDD[tm] (Reality Distortion Device).

SCNR, really.
haha, yeah they have this way of presenting things that already exist as fantastic new innovations and it's just so pretty you really don't care about any of the functions it lacks.

In reality though they've found an amazing market potential in realising that normal people don't really use all the functions in their devices, they want something that does what they need plus some other stuff in a really cool and flashy way... and it needs to be pretty.

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Caribbean
Nokia's somewhat odd concept of marketing has always been like this.
It's the Nokia way.
Judging from the recently completed Nokia World, I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Tags
n900