Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
I use Google Voice exclusively for voice calls, and it works like regular calling on the N95. No degradation of quality save for an echoing sound probably once a week for a few seconds.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
Posts: 17 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Gouda, Netherlands
I've seen a dual SIM card being applied in a Symbian Nokia. It does require sufficient space in the phone's housing ("case"). Not sure N900 can, since I've not held the device. Second SIM needs to fit in just next to the original one. (And then you also need a small connector that looks like a piece from a computers motherboard.)

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by bronzetank View Post
Will incoming calls to my Skype phone number appear on the desktop just like an incoming call would on a voice plan?
Yes. The phone rings for Skype and GTalk calls exactly like a "regular" phone call. It also sounds fine over 3G (and WiFi), just like a regular phone call.

Will I have to perform an extra step in order to make calls that I wouldn’t otherwise?
The dialpad defaults to "cellular" for call type. You would need to change that to Skype (by tapping a button and choosing Skype from a list) before pressing the call button. If you are calling a contact, however, you just hit the "Call via Skype" button instead of the "Call" button. They are both buttons on the same page.

If I leave 3G coverage and only have edge speeds will I get poor voice quality or lose multi-tasking capabilities? (ie. Internet browser?)
EDGE is very slow. Not very useful for VoIP. You can probably make calls to friends who don't mind shouting, "could you say that again?" over and over...

Last edited by qole; 2009-09-22 at 06:12.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mobiledivide View Post
I successfully made Gtalk, Skype and SIP calls over tethered 3G and edge on my N810 but as someone before said I wouldn't place a business call over that EDGE data connection as its prone to be choppy and unreliable.

What I really wish I could do is get the SideKick prepaid plan which is just a dollar a day for unlimited web and text and then you pay per minute for phone calls. That way when in wifi and 3G I could just use SIP and then if I needed to I could make regular phone calls.
Nope won't be able to do that, just like using blackberry or android data package on iphone or symbian phone wont work, you cannot get the sidekick plan and use it with n900.
I don't know of any hacks or heard about any so far to this.