Moderator | Posts: 199 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on May 2009 @ turku, finland
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
Cool! So most of the guys here probably are KDE users? And having a KDE based distro means I get all the KOffice apps too?
you can have both kde and gnome installed, and just choose at login which one you prefer. same goes for any window manager.

I never wondered about this, but I use Firefox, Maxthon, and IE for web browsing. Is there a competitive browser for Linux? Is it better, competitive, or "close, but not there yet"? Basically, what's the best browser for Linux?
firefox is my preferred linux browser even though i have a feeling it's better optimized for windows. someone correct me if i'm blatantly wrong.

Does which distro I use decide which apps I can install?
only to some degree. debian-based distros use .deb files, whereas red hat (ie fedora) use .rpm, and there are other examples. debs seems to be most widespread.

for reference, i'm using linux mint. it's based on ubuntu. it's aesthetically very pleasing, comes with lots of useful stuff preloaded and has an even easier way of installing applications (through the menu bar).

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
edgar, Linux Mint looks like it was made by the Nokia guys that made PC Suite. I heard PC Suite was made with Qt, so it fits. I may have found what I may try out. Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Linux Mint.

I'll need time to play around, which I don't have right now, but once the MF site is launched and our SF servers are back in order, I'll be jumping into the Linux waters. Thanks so much, all of you. This is the spirit of FOSS and Linux, and I'm glad TMO was here to help.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
I'd recommend a Debian derived distribution because those are most similar to Maemo regarding package management and such.

Just download a live CD or live DVD of Ubuntu or Kubuntu (I recommend trying both) and get started. You won't even need to swap HDD or anything, it will run right off the CD or DVD. But that has to be loaded in RAM first, so you need to be patient. You could also try Wubi. It installs Ubuntu on your XP partition without breaking the XP partition.

Cool! So most of the guys here probably are KDE users?
No. We don't have such statistics. In general it is believed GNOME is more popular in USA while KDE is more popular in Europe. But whatever.

Hildon is based on GTK and part of 'GNOME Mobile', and has been part of Maemo since day 1, while Qt is community support on Maemo 5. Maemo 6 will be based on Qt instead.

The compare of Qt vs GTK is like DirectX vs OpenGL...

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Canada
I'm not an expert, and am making this up as I go along but:

If you have blank CDs to waste, you can try a few Live Cds. And after that it only takes about 20 mins to install and run Linux, an extra 10 for your first time maybe, and then everything works (but if you get sidetracked you can spend hours tweaking the theme).

Running both GTK and Qt applications at the same time is the easiest way to bloat your system. I believe this is the main reason mainstream users care about which desktop they use. Alternative desktop environments such as Xfce generally use GTK, but not nearly as heavily as Gnome. Personally I think Gnome and KDE are too bloated to have lots of fun with on a laptop and therefore recommend an alternative. I like the open design of Gnome but had a couple problems getting little things to "just work" so switched to KDE, which worked great until I was driven insane by bloat. The desktop environment I use now is called Openbox (via Crunchbang Linux) because I like the name Openbox =P

I'll use this paragraph to ramble about some run-off things: the reason I'm using an Ubuntu derivative is because they have a ton of applications in their repository (based from Debian) *and* if anything comes up I can usually find an easy to read tutorial on the Ubuntu forums (especially for my old N50 gamepad). Derivatives are important because of the install package file they use: Debian uses .deb, some others use .rpm or something else, and the main benefit of Slackware (the oldest surviving distro) is they use the source files. I believe in the past .rpms especially were really bad with dependencies (so if you installed applications in the wrong order, things would break); I believe the gap is almost closed now, but by design Slackware still holds an advantage? And Slackware is good if you're smart and decide to learn the boring technical details without having your hand held, but you can accomplish this on any distro today.
Edit: I've never used Slackware directly, and just looked it up and looks like they've made recent changes, so pretty much everything i said there is wrong =P

Firefox 3 seems painfully slow and buggy on Linux (I'm using the standard that anything not five times faster than Windows is painfully slow), but I believe Firefox is still number one and recommend it to all. Epiphany and Konqueror are reasonable Gnome/KDE browsers, Opera is an alternative the same way it is on Windows, Google Chrome seems to have potential, and there are exceptional text browsers out there.

For a new user compiling a package just means downloading it from some random website, unzipping it, then typing "./configure" then "make" then "make install" in the terminal, all while praying you have the dependencies and that it actually works. This process requires you to have a couple applications enabled, and it's bizarre that Ubuntu doesn't include them by default, but you'll be reminded to download them once and then you'll be set.

I think Fedora has history and targets a different userbase, I've never really seen it recommended to new home users. I tried MEPIS and Mandriva a couple years ago and had a good experience, only naming them because they're pretty big and user-friendly and haven't seen them mentioned here. If you're considering Gentoo in the future I also recommend taking a look at Arch (and of course if you want a Gentoo derivative the already mentioned Sabayon is excellent).

Overall, I'd recommend trying an Xfce distro (Xfce distros generally target new users who want something slightly faster than KDE/Gnome), then dual boot with Linux Mint if you have enough space for all those plus Win XP, then delete the one you don't like and you pick something. You need about 5-20gb for each "/" root partition, and hopefully you figure out how to make a separate "/home" home partition so that you don't lose your personal files if you try a different distro.

Good luck, if any problems come up there *is* a "simple" fix for it, but might be hard for a new Linux user to find since they're not used to it.

Can't remember if anyone answered drivers, but any that you need shall be in the repository, you don't have to look for them. The closest example to an exception is say if your videocard/chipset is Nvidia you might have to install a certain nvidia driver from the repository. With Ubuntu I go to System tools and use the "Restricted Device Manager" for that, but I forget why.

Last edited by Jobester; 2009-09-22 at 10:53.

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by linuxeventually View Post
I beg to differ. It like other "user friendly Desktop" distros does not contain the necessary packages to compile packages.
??
that's not true. how do you come to that conclusion?

you can install any debian based software package, including of course development packages.
they may not be in the default repositories, but as a developer one should be able to edit the apt.sources list *g*

@chris
i'd suggest ubuntu, it currently has the broadest support and is beginner-friendly, while still a good choice for pros/developers/etc. it grows with your knowledge

regarding Gnome vs KDE:
it basically really is just a matter of taste. you're not even limited to specific software suites for either of those two. KOffice f.ex. will run under Gnome without problem. It will need additional KDE-libraries, but those are taken care of by package dependencies at installation time. You will of course need a little more space for the additional libraries.

Qt is written with small 't'; like 'cutie'. QT is QuickTime. Or something.

I don't think GNOME or KDE runs slow on a P4 with 2 GHz and 512 MB RAM.

Moderator | Posts: 199 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on May 2009 @ turku, finland
edgar, Linux Mint looks like it was made by the Nokia guys that made PC Suite. I heard PC Suite was made with Qt, so it fits. I may have found what I may try out. Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Linux Mint.
burn. my eyes, it hurts so bad to see 'linux mint' and 'pc suite' in the same sentence.

one more thing: if speed is your cup of tea, check out lubuntu.

Last edited by edgar2; 2009-09-22 at 10:36. Reason: missing quote bracket

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Re: Ubuntu.
Originally Posted by linuxeventually View Post
I beg to differ. It like other "user friendly Desktop" distros does not contain the necessary packages to compile packages.
All you need to do is to get "build-essential" though, surely?

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 71 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Canada
I don't think GNOME or KDE runs slow on a P4 with 2 GHz and 512 MB RAM.
Definitely not slow, but there's faster, and speed (and virus/defrag/automatic update maintenance) is the main reason I abandoned Windows.

Last edited by Jobester; 2009-09-22 at 11:02.