Active Topics

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
@yodude +1

I agree, this argument is fruitless.

Who cares?

Buy it, don't buy it.

I'm personally not buying it, but I made up my mind on that before I ever even heard of Eldar.

I just like to argue

The Following User Says Thank You to JayOnThaBeat For This Useful Post:
Nothing will be an iPhone killer for a while. The iPhone killer will be whoever gets themself well establish on a multi-tude of devices.. so there's two ways you can think of an iPhone killer..

hardware = maybe the n900 already killed the iPhone in this aspect. But then the n900 killer would simply be whatever hardware > X

operating system = nobody is going kill the iPhone anytime soon, the operating system will need to be established on several devices.

But your not going see something like what Apple does (one OS limited to one system). Partially because only Apple is really good at it (and to a limited extend Blackberry and Pre). But also because in the long run your cutting yourself off from the rest of the market.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Now that we are hearing a more down to earth report based on daily usage we want to kill the messenger.
Making blanket assumptions?

That certainly isn't my motivation to be skeptical and critical.

The rabid defense was actually entertaining though... but that kind of funny wears thin quickly.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I'm still not entirely sure I understand why there's any credibility in his 'preview' of the N900. ESPECIALLY if there's a claim that he's had it for 5-months. That's a 5-MONTH OLD device that hasn't even hit shelves yet. And who is this guy? Why does anybody care what he's writing? I've never even heard of him before the fawning N900 fanboys orgasmed over his 'preview' of a device that, I remind you, is 5-MONTHS OLD before today.. and STILL hasn't been released.

So, Eldar... please.. educate me. Why should I rely on your 'preview' as reliable in any way? I mean.. if it's not a reliable 'preview', then what's the point in 'previewing' this device? Who are you and why do you think your fans love you oodles and oodles, as they seem to? Please feel free to sprinkle puffery here and there, as I'm sure you will, if you think it will make the explanation more entertaining.

Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Eldar sounds like that dude at every party that spends all his time one upping people.

"Sure Everest is tough , but when I was climbing K2 we had to eat our Sherpa"

"Sure lung cancer is tough , but you want to have real cancer, get cancer of the scrotum"
You mean, like... this guy?

Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
Michal Jerz of my-symbian.com will have his review up in a few days. I guess he *stole* his unit too huh?

http://my-symbian.com/forum/viewtopi...=asc&start=105
The irony there is that, if he at least admitted that it was a stolen early version, we'd know how reliable that 'preview' would be, unlike Eldar's ambiguously irrelevant 'previews.'

Originally Posted by mobiledivide View Post
This is why I love the internet. I have no problems with disagreeing but does it really have to come with all the name calling "egomaniac", "attention whore" etc. You don't even know the person on the other side of the wire yet posters feel like making personal judgements of that person.

If you notice some of my past posts, even in this thread, I am not a huge fan of how Eldar handled this situation but I would never stoop to the ridiculous name calling that other posters feel like engaging in.
Sissy. Joking.. joking.. don't hurt me. Not the face! NOT THE FACE!

Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
@yodude +1

I agree, this argument is fruitless.

Who cares?

Buy it, don't buy it.

I'm personally not buying it, but I made up my mind on that before I ever even heard of Eldar.

I just like to argue
I hear ya, brother. I have no interest in the N900, as it exists, but I boggle at the relevance given to this questionable 'preview.'

I came here to kick *** and chew bubblegum... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I'm happy to see the firmware version finally publicized. That was my major issue.

Knowing it's not final means I'll wait for more reports from closer to final revisions to finally say if I'll finally get behind the N900 as a possible future choice in a phone of if I'll skip it altogether.

And that... is as honest as I can get.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
YoDude summarised it very well I thought.

I confess that I'm a total Maemo fanboy.
Not a Nokia fanboy. Never.
Yes, an N900 fanboy, but that's too small.
I'm a Maemo fanboy.

I think that however many times a day the N900 crashes or reboots (and I hope that number will be 0; but even if it isn't), it will still be the best device out there this fall.

Just another link to my article. I stand by all the praises.

But you know I'm totally biased;
I'm a Maemo fanboy.

Last edited by qole; 2009-09-26 at 05:30.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Eldar, now I'm surprised th with all the information you are managing you seem to have missed or misunderstood Anssi's "step 4 of 5". Seriously, watch the video and have a look to the long discussion this sentence created here.

To those talking about devices distributed to community members. For clarity, we have distributed devices to selected community developers in order to get their applications in Extras right at the N900 sales start. This had been requested by the community inall previous programs and I'm very happy we are doing this. And yes, they have an NDA that restricts posting reviews about the product since this is simply not the point. They get developer units with software under development in order to develop their own software ready in time. Please understand this and don't put pressure on them, otherwise repeating this unprecedented initiative might be complicated.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 21 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Moscow/Berlin
I dont want to spent my time to flaming here. Do not see any reason to do that. Fanboys so fanboys everywhere. Without understanding simple things, vision of things etc.

Frankly, as always in each communities exists some adequate and non adequate people. From what I see in this topic, quantity of non adequate people are higher. Hope that Maemo could manage problem with that because it will be the issue for Marmo itself. Later. But definitely will be. I have a very good expirience about such things for Ericsson, Siemens Mobile etc.

So if someone want to discuss something, they could write me email - not goinf to feed flame topic anymore. My time too expensive for such rubbish.

qgil
I see that steps and dont missed them, problem that N900 was shown to whole world, not only the developers. In any case you will see results of that decision very soon (and have to manage this results)

I'm not moaning about reviews from developers, it isnt my words (thats an issue/wishes from other peoples). Also, some of them ready for review as it was shown here with some links (they FW not so up-to-date, they do not need it and they devices are solid, you are know this).

The Following User Says Thank You to eldarmurtazin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Non-adequate, and proud of it!

|||EDIT

But seriously, everyone do as I have, and put it all out of mind.

It never happened.

There were no reviews.

There is no google translator.

It was all a dream............................................. ...

Last edited by JayOnThaBeat; 2009-09-26 at 06:51.

The Following User Says Thank You to JayOnThaBeat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 10 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Rome, Italy
Hello to everyone, first post.

I've followed the forum for a while but given that I'm not really a developer I never considered registering, but the direction taken by this thread is really curious, and I don't think I understand what we are really talking about.
[sorry for the broken english and the long post... I know, bad combination]

I'm still not entirely sure I understand why there's any credibility in his 'preview' of the N900.
I'm sorry, but I really don't understand what parts of Eldar's preview[s] can lack in credibility... or do you refer to his tweets?

'Cause I don't read anything in his previews that's less than plausible...

He criticizes the lack of an universal portrait mode and MMS, and says that such lacks are bad for mass market users... I can believe that...

He says that the Task Manager/Desktop/Main Menu switch is not intuitive, like some UI choices [touch title bar for option/settings]... it's necessary, for user, to "understand/learn" this function... I agree, they are not intuitive, but it's not a deal breaker...

What does is current hardware/software configuration has to do with it? What, a new firmware out there has changed the Maemo5 UI?

He says that if there are many content-heavy web pages open, the browser performance suffers... I tend to believe that, it seems reasonable... or do anyone believe that "final" hardware/software won't have any performance issues if there are multiple flash-loaded web pages open?

That's irrealistic...

He says that the reformatting of web pages when zooming is not at a iphone/safari level... this is confirmed by pratically every video hands-on/preview out there [even nokia's], so I tend to believe that too... this may actually improve with final release, or with future updates... but it's fairly possible that this feature will ship as it is...

He mentions that there is no equalizer in the music player... I don't personally care but, again, is this something you know is "corrected" in more recent/final firmware?

If it's not, who cares what soft/hardware version he has..? The equalizer is still not there, right?

The playlist functions are only basic? Plausible, given Nokia records... again, nothing really so important to require explicit firmware version...

Maps is slow? Plausible... he's backet up by every videos showing maps on the N900, so...

As preview goes, it's not so bad... he doesn't indulge in crashes, bugs et similia... he talks about the features, and the lack of them...

While he spent the majority of both previews lauding the N900 and Maemo5, his few negative points are very plausible... sure, final firmware will be better, but given the imminent launch date final adjustments will be just that... adjustments...

Or do you really think the OS team will "correct" the few things he pointed out? In, what, two weeks?

But of course you're not really talking of his previews...

You're commenting his tweets, where he says that a prototype crashes... and somehow you find this unbelievable, unrealistic, and want to know his hardware/software configuration...

I'm pretty sure even the final retail product will crash... and even more sure that future updates will reduce the number of crashes...

It's expected, it's normal... A user interested in a product like the N900 knows that a prototype is prone to crash... a user who doesn't understand/expect that, will probably not be the ideal target for the N900...

And I don't think anyone is "jealous" of anything, but I really don't get the reason for bashing Eldar...

He leaked a prototype? So what? Are we really so naive to be outraged? He speaks fairly highly of it, how does this damage the product?

PS:

Not really "taking sides", here... I just find that the bashing is really immotivated, and the whole "he won't tell the firmware/hardware" is basically irrilevant, given the nature of the negative aspects he points out...

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Krosis For This Useful Post:

Tags
eldar, nokia n900 preview