Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
My question is: are Maemo, Ovi, Nokia, , The Illuminati, Whatever, planning in a foreseeable future to allow full functionality to the Ovi Maps client on the N900 terminal? I'm speaking of voice guidance which I use a lot with my E90. Of course I'm ready to pay for that, a price more or less in line with that needed on symbian devices.

Just a practicality that would allow me as well as many others to bring only one device instead that two or more.
I guess my previous answer was trying to say that it's hard for us ("The Maemo internal folks") to say or reveal much about what Ovi guys are doing for us. For things that we implement ourselves, we have better control and visibility.

Now, I'm sure they are planning to make the Ovi Maps client the best possible on Maemo, much better than anything else. So one day, definitely yes. But naturally Symbian is currently a much bigger fish than what Maemo is, and they've had far more time to work for Symbian than for us.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Also, I can't understand why Ovi Maps (on the Web, not on the s6o devices) is limited to windows and mac os, but, as its home page states is unavailable for unix (my ubuntu box is recognized as such).

Do Nokia sub-organizations share a common strategy? Maemo builds on linux, Ovi doesn't deliver Suite and Maps clients for the same platform?

EDIT: Ragnar while I was writing, I hadn't seen your response. Thanks for your efforts to let us have a peek on what's happening *inside*. I hope that the rest of Nokia supports *you* and *us* in the best way.

EDIT EDIT: Michal Jerz's review states "I could find audio files for voice navigation, which suggests that we should expect this feature to be available." That's great

Last edited by debernardis; 2009-09-29 at 08:29.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
FYI. I played with the N900 at the NYC Flagship 2 weeks ago. It took over 20 seconds just to bring up the OVI Maps applications.
Yes, this is my second priority concern. I've seen one or two videos showing Ovi Maps on the N900 and while in the application there appears to be input lag of 5-10 seconds both when touching the screen and entering text on the keyboard. Of course this kind of performance is basically unacceptable and I can't imagine that the device will be released like this. Hopefully it's just a matter of early HW/SW and the released version will be "normal".

I'm still searching for the answer about if you can load all map data onto the device and not need a data connection for anything or if all use of Ovi Maps requires downloading. Looks like there's a few new extensive previews of the N900. Will read those to see if there are any answers.

The Following User Says Thank You to SgtDuke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ München, DE
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Maybe, they hope that by not offering navigation they can entice 3rd parties like TomTom to come in and make an application for it? Kinda like how Google Maps on the iPhone doesn't do navigation.
That's very interesting. So Nokia buys NavTeq in 2007 for EUR 5.7 billion and waits for competitors to develop navi software for their phones?

Im not too sure if that is that smart ...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to range For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by range View Post
That's very interesting. So Nokia buys NavTeq in 2007 for EUR 5.7 billion and waits for competitors to develop navi software for their phones?

come on. for step 4/5 one could not seriously claim that everything must be perfect out of the box! specially when comparing to symbian that has maps 3.0, third major update for ovi maps client out officially for months.

e: in a nutshell: time is a limited resource.

ee: and NavTeq = ovi maps in general. they didn't have client for linux/maemo did they?

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South east, UK
I may be wrong but some one mentioned that turn by turn navigation is currently not possable because of the lack of DMR on the device. Nokia not allowing navigation licences so people cant share them.

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Philadelphia, PA
Originally Posted by sk299 View Post
I may be wrong but some one mentioned that turn by turn navigation is currently not possable because of the lack of DMR on the device. Nokia not allowing navigation licences so people cant share them.
So based on the conversation here it appears that Ovi Maps on Maemo is little more than a port of the browser plug in converted to Linux. So we get the web site functionality on the N900? Disappointing. The performance even on a desktop leaves a lot to be desired so I imagine it will be less than stellar on the N900.

A port of the Symbian client is what I would have expected here with licensing tied to the SIM like it is there. This really takes away from the draw of the device.

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Chicago/D.C./Katowice
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
come on. for step 4/5 one could not seriously claim that everything must be perfect out of the box!
one must demand perfection at every step

The Following User Says Thank You to UCOMM For This Useful Post:
Posts: 569 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ District of Columbia
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Also, I can't understand why Ovi Maps (on the Web, not on the s6o devices) is limited to windows and mac os, but, as its home page states is unavailable for unix (my ubuntu box is recognized as such).

Do Nokia sub-organizations share a common strategy? Maemo builds on linux, Ovi doesn't deliver Suite and Maps clients for the same platform?

EDIT: Ragnar while I was writing, I hadn't seen your response. Thanks for your efforts to let us have a peek on what's happening *inside*. I hope that the rest of Nokia supports *you* and *us* in the best way.

EDIT EDIT: Michal Jerz's review states "I could find audio files for voice navigation, which suggests that we should expect this feature to be available." That's great
voice navigation as in GPS or voice navigation as in voice phone commands???

P.S. I'm anxiously awaiting your answer...

Originally Posted by range View Post

Well, not really wait in the sense in that they won't be doing anything They can work on it while hoping maybe somebody else jumps in the market (thus bringing more power and a selling point for their device). Then they could just release an update saying "hey now for Ovi maps, voice guided navigation is available!"

Though for their stockholders, the ideal would be to make Ovi Maps the only source of voice guided navigation as well as all other Nokia branded software. But at the cost of the platform itself.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...