Active Topics

When you follow your bliss, the first few steps aren't usually blissful.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 131 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Pistoia, Italy
Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
i have just finished my final day with my employer.
his parting gift to me after 9 years of service was to give me only half my final paycheque.

i had resigned after having to make a tough choice between finishing the open source onedotzero controller, or staying in work to do his closed project and letting down all the people in the collaborative endeavour.

i had hoped and prayed for the future to be bright and was planning to use this final paycheque as a buffer. I have put applications for jobs at nokia and surrounding companies, but I have simply run out of time.

i believe in this platform with all my heart and have been involved with it for a long time and think I have been making a difference.

i cannot afford now to go to the summit (hotels and airfare is only one small fraction).
i have to stop everything and concentrate on finding a local job to keep my family afloat.

we simply cannot afford to pay the bills.

if anyone can help, i have a paypal account on my server: http://liqbase.net
I'm really sorry for your situation, but I really would have never left my job before finding a new one.

You were a lucky person to have a good and fixed job. Lot of people, even with a PhD don't have one (I'm talking in particular about situation in Italy). But you left it.

Don't those people have the same (or worse) problem like you?

I really hope you can find a new job as soon as possible, but I also hope you've learned to be smarter for the future.

Best regards.

The Following User Says Thank You to andy80 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Hey lcuk, sorry I got you in trouble.

FYI,

please don't write "for sexual services" on your donations to lcuk,

Mrs lcuk, was not initially amused
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Penguinbait, you owe me a new keyboard if I can't get the mixture of coffee and saliva out of this one!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post

FYI,

did this actually happen? Cause if so its even funnier.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by bobthebuilder View Post
did this actually happen? Cause if so its even funnier.
then I guess its even funnier, because yes this did happen
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by andy80 View Post
[...]

but I also hope you've learned to be smarter for the future.
Sure. I'd rather say one should keep a buffer for nasty situations like these. Easier said that done!! He worked for 9 years for this employer. You don't expect your employer to screw you then!!

then I guess its even funnier, because yes this did happen
Wait, the onedotzero demo aroused you as well? FWIW, this demo will for me always be known as the first demo featuring ordinary people enjoying the Nokia N900. It made me excited, and I was happy to pass it along.

lcuk, I wish you the best, I wish you can come to Maemo summit yet more important I wish you will put life on rails as such is more important than a (really nice) side project. Priorities... sigh

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:

FYI,

Man you are mean! LOL...

Nathan

Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
i have just finished my final day with my employer.
his parting gift to me after 9 years of service was to give me only half my final paycheque.
Ugh; that really sucks.

i had resigned after having to make a tough choice between finishing the open source onedotzero controller, or staying in work to do his closed project and letting down all the people in the collaborative endeavour.
Not sure I would have made that choice; but I won't judge it -- you needed to do what you felt was the right course of action. I've made choices others wouldn't have either. ;-)

Good luck in your job hunt, I I don't have anything but some "personal" projects, which pay diddly squat at the time being.

Nathan

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
this is the last I will say on this subject for now.

We have been checking now and there is enough to come to the summit.
With your most gracious assistance in my hour of need I will be coming and I will try to personally thank each and every one of you for your support

Whether I can continue after that is still blowing in the wind.

I would love to remain active here and hope together we can find a way.
I am not the best at all this business stuff, I just like to make things run smoothly.

Sincerely,

Gary, Tracy, Luke and Jacob.

The Following 39 Users Say Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post: