Notices

Has anyone been able to get Gizmo to send DTMF tones? The app works great for a straightforward call but dialpad doesn't seem to have capability of sending tones so you can navigate the wonderful voice menus and dial an extension. I researched the threads here but don't see anything on it...

Has anyone been able to get Gizmo to send DTMF tones?
I am having the same problem with DTMF tones and was just about to post a message regarding it.

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Ottawa, ON
No. I have not.

I noticed that the setup on the desktop version of Gizmo allows you to pick from a number of different options for DTMF tone transmission but in the Gizmo version, that setting is completely missing. I suspect that they are having some issues with that.

One thing that you could do as a work-around would be to record the 12 different tones as wav files and play them with the media player while you are placing the call. That should work provided you are using the external speakers. I know Cooledit on Windows had a DTMF tone generator but I am sure there are a number of them around for any platform as it is not complicated. With reference to this and using Audacity, you could whip some up.

In then end, indicate to Gizmo that this is something important that they should sort out.

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Cupertino, CA
There's a thread about this on the GizmoProject Forums. The last reply from one of the offical (?) support guys says:

"We are limited by the platform in this respect. The Nokia 770/N800 operating system is currently not capable of sending RFC 2833 signals. Nokia is aware of this shortcoming, but has not yet released an operating system version that can do this."

Which, frankly, sounds like FUD to me.

I tried to work around the problem by using this DTMF dialpad on my laptop (with the N800 help close to the speakers) but didn't have any luck. However, the tones it generates are not very long.

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Ottawa, ON
Well ... I don't think that it is FUD as much as deflection of work :]

It is likely true that the Telepathy framework that Nokia uses doesn't have support for OOB DTMF that is specified in RFC 2833. That doesn't stop them from having In-Band DTMF though. However, I have heard that the codec that most VoIP applications (including Gizmo) use, iLBC, mulchs up the DTMF tones such that very few recipient system will decode them properly; thus the need for OOB DTMF.

I just made some DTMF tones with Audacity that I will try. If they work, I will try to post them somewhere.

Update: I tried to play the mp3 files while using Gizmo. It turns out that Gizmo blocks the media player from playing anything while it is running yet the little error sound that accompanied the message telling me that played just fine ... annoying.

Last edited by mwiktowy; 2007-02-12 at 00:19.