Active Topics

Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
I think your particular trade off will be between the "write and give presentations" and the "no more than 1/2 pound". The Viliv S5 is around 400 gms but it will handle everything else if you can accept the on screen keyboard. The UMID M1 adds back in the keyboard and gets down to almost 300 gms but I understand there are problems hooking it up to an external display.

I can't speak for the N900. I understand it is handling Office files with Documents to Go. Unfortunately, Dataviz has not announced this and while they support editing presentations on some hardware they don't on others. It's also possible OpenOffice or one of its variants will work. Once you've got the presentation, the question would be could the N900 output it to a VGA/DVI/HDMI cable for projection.
I believe the N900 has the same TV out cable as the N82, which I've used on my 37" LCD TV, and on my father's 50" Plasma TV with no problems. I have also used it on my PC monitor via a VGA box. The 3 inputs go in the back and the box comes with a VGA cable to go to the computer monitor. My VGA box has 4 inputs so I was playing Playstation and my Xvid DVD player on the monitor as well at one point. I'm sure a direct convertor for just one source can be found easily.

Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
Still cant see what Average Joe needs to be able to do that the N900 cant do?

Mike C
Average Joe wants to show off and tell iPhone users that they have the cooler phone... and prove it with eye-catching games and applications.

Like it or not, iPhone is what Average Joe sees as the pinnacle of "smartphones"

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Here's a take from an outsider at the Maemo Summit (and note that Chippy is in no way an Average Joe):

http://www.umpcportal.com/2009/10/what-is-the-n900/

He doesn't see it as a consumer product, nor does he think Nokia sees it as a consumer product. As he says:

"The N900 is a technology showcase designed to stimulate a wide range of development activity that can be used to refine the products that will appear with the next, final, phase of Maemo. The real consumer-focused products."

Still, it is not a negative review. His conclusion is:

"The N900 is a catalyst and it just so happens that it’s good, is going to get better and is available to all of us who enjoy the ultra mobile computing experience. It’s another great option and as a converged, pocketable, voice-capable device, the best I’ve ever used. It’s a great catalyst!"

The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP1 For This Useful Post:
Thor
hmm

so let see, here are some simple things that iphone users don't have without getting into technicalities.

-Can you stick an sd card in it ....nope
-Can I carry a spare battery ....nope
-How is the picture quality ....hmm not so good
-Does it take videos ...only if you have the latest iteration.
-need a keyboard ....oh here is real one as well as touch one
-how much memory have you got ...oh only 8GB cause the 32GB is an option and costs loads
-Screen resolution ...oh thats lots of pinching and poping

Lets put this iPhone in perspective guys, its for ordinary Joe cause thats what ordinary Joe's want.

Last edited by mikec; 2009-10-11 at 17:14.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikec For This Useful Post:
avg consumers dont care about resolution
most people dont use a spare battery
most people dont use a keyboard in fact most hate it
memory depends on users..

cant force this phone on everyone but i love it

The Following User Says Thank You to boinger For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
Here's a take from an outsider at the Maemo Summit (and note that Chippy is in no way an Average Joe):

http://www.umpcportal.com/2009/10/what-is-the-n900/

[...]

"The N900 is a catalyst and it just so happens that it’s good, is going to get better and is available to all of us who enjoy the ultra mobile computing experience. It’s another great option and as a converged, pocketable, voice-capable device, the best I’ve ever used. It’s a great catalyst!"
Hi,

I fully support this conclusion. To me this device is clearly not targeted at the average user. In my opinion, it's targeted at developers and tech-lovers. Hence, I feel the purpose of this device is to get a foot in the market and to support the development of the customer-oriented devices by creating the necessary infrastructure (apps, ovi, community base, experience, ...). - Joe wouldn't want such a work-in-progress device I guess - I do however

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Somerville MA - USA
The osx as an OS / Platform was not able to meet the needs of users at day one, it took a year and billions in marketing $$ to get it to take off and become what the end consumer needed (not wanted). N900 and Maemo are playing a catch up game.

More and more it appears nokia is doing the right thing, get the phone out at a good price, get carriers to pick it up, and inspire developers to create cool things on it.

But I guess this would take away some of the geek factor. It wont be as geek sheik if soccer moms are using it will it. so lets all tell the world:

"naw don't get it there will be a better one in a year or 2... this one, its only meant for people who know c^ or Java. It doesn't even have 1000 apps to make fart noises... why would you consider it. Go get an i-phone, it 'just works' and is meant for everyone unlike the n900... which you really shouldn't buy, cos you won't get it, its way too complex"

Tags
joe v flamethrower, joe v. the volcano