Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by BruceL View Post
My purpose is that I want an all-in-one-device: Full computer, camera, GPS, guitar-tuner, network-tester, music studio, oscilloscope, communicator, tri-corder, medical diagnostic tool, car/home e-key, credit-ecard. [...]
This is for you, then.

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by andree View Post
however, it makes me sad that some of you guys already have your n900's (some at least since the nokia parade in Amsterdam) - yet noone tried to test the usb otg..
come on now, there's still stuff scheduled for today. don't be so impatient
since the NDAs apparently have been lifted, i'm sure it's only gonna be a short time before someone tries.

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Mobidapter

Ugly as hell, but might work?

http://mobile.allaboutsymbian.com/re...Mobidapter.php
wont work because N900's card reader is only accessible after removing the battery cover

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by adamnair View Post
wont work because N900's card reader is only accessible after removing the battery cover
Craves1 hack showed a flat extension 'cable' can be made. If it matters so much to you... why not.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Craves1 hack showed a flat extension 'cable' can be made. If it matters so much to you... why not.
I'm waiting for my *new* mobidapter to try out. (The one I received was horribly faulty).

mobidapter schmobidapter, there's more to plug into usb than sticks

Since developers got n900's at the summit we should expect real info soon.

I think this thread is deviating from the original purpose. I see two camps: people that want to plug something and people replying with different ways of achieving that function (ethernet vs portable ap, usb sticks vs cardreaders and mobidapters and so on)

I think we should stick to the original point: does or does it not allow usb host mode (even limited power or power injection). Leave it up to the ones that care about usb host to use it.

Last edited by icebox; 2009-10-12 at 12:12.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to icebox For This Useful Post:
Posts: 40 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Berkshire
Sorry if I'm a bit slow, but what does this restriction mean in practice? What (if any) USB devices will work with the N900, and which won't?

With my N810, I can connect to my laptop (with the supplied cable), and to memory sticks and a portable USB keyboard (using an OTG cable I got on ebay). Would I be able to do any of these with the N900?

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
Sorry if I'm a bit slow, but what does this restriction mean in practice? What (if any) USB devices will work with the N900, and which won't?

With my N810, I can connect to my laptop (with the supplied cable), and to memory sticks and a portable USB keyboard (using an OTG cable I got on ebay). Would I be able to do any of these with the N900?
You will be able to read the N900 as a drive on your pc, but you won't be able to read other drives on the N900.

...nor keyboards and whatnot, as is my understanding.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JayOnThaBeat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Yeah the distinction is between host vs client mode. If you are plugging the device into something else (e.g. computer) and using it on than something else, it will work fine. On the other hand, if you want the N900 to act as a host--to plug something into N900 and use it on N900--it won't.

Except on the off chance that OTG is supported after all. After reading a lot of this thread, i really think that horse has been dead and beat into the ground and people are now just beating the ground.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
One guy who got a N900 demo model has been told on Summit he would not need to worry about USB host mode since it was a software issue. Source.

English translation (used Google Translate; accurate result):

I've tried to install USB control, but that seemed to do nothing (I think it is intended for Maemo 4, was in fact the developer experimental unstable repository).
But during the summit has a Nokia employee told me that I'm not to worry, and USB host mode is indeed possible, it would be a software issue
Please note I'm just journaling this information. I do not know the authenticity.

Here is output of lsusb -v as mentioned by someone in 'please post dmesg' thread.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
awesomeness in the works, boulevard of broken deals, host, i am the dealbreaker, inspector gadget lies, mobidapter is a scam, nokia fanbois, otg, over 9000, usb, usbcontrol