Active Topics

Please excuse this insanely simple question.

I want to download certain philosophical classics from gutenberg.org into my internal SD memory card in the file 'Ebooks." I understand that FBReader is supposed to be able to do this but I can't figure out how to get from FBReader to gutenberg.org, and I certainly can't figure out how to download books from gutenberg.org into that folder.

Can anyone provide a simple 'how to' set of directions for me? I would be much indebted.

Thanks in advance.

The latest version FBReader can download books from FeedBooks.com and LitRes.ru. Not gutenberg.org.

To download a book, click on the icon that looks like a globe in front of stack of books and enter part of the title to search on.

If you can't find the book on FeedBooks, you can just download the book from Gutenberg on you PC and transfer the book via USB.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by refortin View Post
...you can just download the book from Gutenberg on you PC...
Or using a web browser on the tablet itself.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California

The Following User Says Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
I recommend trying the relatively new experimental mobibooks or epub files on Project Gutenberg. Mobibook files load faster on the NIT, especially noticeable for large files with images.

To add the downloaded books to FBReader, select the plus symbol from the lower screen within FBReader and then navigate to the wherever you put the book in your directory structure.

The Following User Says Thank You to mars For This Useful Post:
To add the downloaded books to FBReader, select the plus symbol from the lower screen within FBReader and then navigate to the wherever you put the book in your directory structure.

Mars,

Thanks for the reply (and to all others who tried to help a newbie).

I've created a file for ebooks on my removable sdhc, and I'm sorry to say that I'm used to Windows XP operating system, where one uses a letter for the drive followed by a colon and a backslash to separate folders etc.

When I go to the options tab in the library, how do I tell the N800 to look at the removable drive? Do I just type "removable drive" and then the file name, which is "ebooks"? Or do I have to do something with the mmc1 that I see in the options directory?

Thanks to anyone who can provide some clarification for me.

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Lancaster, CA
Originally Posted by Nokia800newbie View Post

Mars,

Thanks for the reply (and to all others who tried to help a newbie).

I've created a file for ebooks on my removable sdhc, and I'm sorry to say that I'm used to Windows XP operating system, where one uses a letter for the drive followed by a colon and a backslash to separate folders etc.

When I go to the options tab in the library, how do I tell the N800 to look at the removable drive? Do I just type "removable drive" and then the file name, which is "ebooks"? Or do I have to do something with the mmc1 that I see in the options directory?

Thanks to anyone who can provide some clarification for me.
I use

/media/mmc1/ (or mmc2 for the other card)

and then the name of the folder.