Active Topics

Notices

Ok, the entire stack is now in the Extras repository. WooHoo! What a pain that was. These libraries are "optified" so they should not have to be compiled again and these should be final.

So, Pierre you should be able to put up Rapier at any time.

Any other devs that are wanting to test stuff can now pull down the entire stack to their scratchbox also.

Nathan

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nathan For This Useful Post:
A quick update: I have verse selection and switching translations done. At this point, not having a good 4.6 version (with finger scrolling, the View Menu, etc) has become a slowdown. I may wait to do a lot more work until I can set up Qt 4.6 correctly.

Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Ok, the entire stack is now in the Extras repository. WooHoo! What a pain that was. These libraries are "optified" so they should not have to be compiled again and these should be final.

So, Pierre you should be able to put up Rapier at any time.
Nathan
Thanks !

Would it be possible to change some settings in the control file so dependencies works as expected ?

sword16-dev should Depends on sword16, not on sword. Same for the python-sword module (and could it be called python-sword16 ?)

Oh, and installmgr is packaged in the -devel version. As Rapier use it to install remote modules, would it be possible to have it in the sword16 package ?

I have applyed your patched related to the tuple version of some hildon function, added some more. Now there is still an issue with starting rapier while there is no module installed at all. I will see what can be done about that.

Originally Posted by pamadio View Post
Thanks !

Would it be possible to change some settings in the control file so dependencies works as expected ?

sword16-dev should Depends on sword16, not on sword. Same for the python-sword module (and could it be called python-sword16 ?)

Oh, and installmgr is packaged in the -devel version. As Rapier use it to install remote modules, would it be possible to have it in the sword16 package ?
Sure can. I was in a "rush" with the sword package. I'll get another version with those fixes up in a little while.

I have applyed your patched related to the tuple version of some hildon function, added some more.
I assume you also took all the "None" checking I also added which fixed several frequent "warning" messages on the console?

Now there is still an issue with starting rapier while there is no module installed at all. I will see what can be done about that.
I noticed that; but I assumed it was just normal behavior -- once I installed one and restarted it worked. It has been a LONG time since I installed a fresh copy. ;-)

Nathan

Last edited by Nathan; 2009-10-25 at 03:09.

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
looks great. I hope it works when we get our n900's

Nathan, what if any texts are included with the default sword package? I'm curious, because I'm wondering how to handle the initial startup.

Also, what do people think about module installation? My initial thoughts are to simply offer the option to download and install texts from a remote location (e.g. ftp.crosswire.org). Does anyone have an opinion on this?

I liked the way Rapier worked in earlier versions where it was able to download and install modules from ftp.crossfire.org. It should also be possible to manually install modules by unpacking them wherever it is that this program stores them.

So let me get this straight as I have read only a couple of pages in this thread, is this a straight port of rapier or a new program?

Either way are the people developing it looking for help? I have been spoiled lately by a bible application on a friends iPhone and would love to recreate some of the features from there. One thing that I think is useful is for there to be a notes application built in that allows the user to either link the notes with the scripture reference or store it by some name. The idea is that when you are looking at a scripture you can pull up your previous notes on it easily.

Not sure if anyone has the time to work on this, but I will if no one else is taking the lead. What do the rest of you think? Is this a worthwhile addition or do you just stick to Xournal and MaemoPad++ for notes?

Another thing (and I haven't tried the newest versions so I don't know if this is still a problem) that I would like to work on if no one else is is the lag that comes when selecting a book and chapter. It is almost always faster for me to pick up a physical bible and turn to the scripture than it is to select the book (wait) select the chapter (wait again) and then scroll down to the verse. I am not sure of the cause of this but an easy way to at least lessen it's effects would be to have the ability to select a book and then a chapter and then click "Go" or something before it actually loads the text.

So yeah I am rattling on a bit but this is something I really want and don't know how to best jump in and help as it seems the ball is already rolling.

Originally Posted by joshn53 View Post
Nathan, what if any texts are included with the default sword package? I'm curious, because I'm wondering how to handle the initial startup.
None. This is just the library.

Also, what do people think about module installation? My initial thoughts are to simply offer the option to download and install texts from a remote location (e.g. ftp.crosswire.org). Does anyone have an opinion on this?
Rapier runs the InstallMgr (which is why he was asking to have it moved from the Dev tool into the release tools) so that Rapier has access to it without having to install the Dev tools.

Nathan.

Originally Posted by JackBeSlow View Post
I liked the way Rapier worked in earlier versions where it was able to download and install modules from ftp.crossfire.org. It should also be possible to manually install modules by unpacking them wherever it is that this program stores them.

So let me get this straight as I have read only a couple of pages in this thread, is this a straight port of rapier or a new program?
Both.

Either way are the people developing it looking for help? I have been spoiled lately by a bible application on a friends iPhone and would love to recreate some of the features from there. One thing that I think is useful is for there to be a notes application built in that allows the user to either link the notes with the scripture reference or store it by some name. The idea is that when you are looking at a scripture you can pull up your previous notes on it easily.
I can't commit to any "features" But I think most of the developers are interested in a maintained version with a several features that we feel are missing from Rapier.

So yeah I am rattling on a bit but this is something I really want and don't know how to best jump in and help as it seems the ball is already rolling.
We are looking at making it in QT; right now QT is not "quite" ready yet. Both v4.5 and v4.6 are being actively being devleloped by Nokia.

Nathan

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by JackBeSlow View Post

Not sure if anyone has the time to work on this, but I will if no one else is taking the lead. What do the rest of you think? Is this a worthwhile addition or do you just stick to Xournal and MaemoPad++ for notes?

Another thing (and I haven't tried the newest versions so I don't know if this is still a problem) that I would like to work on if no one else is is the lag that comes when selecting a book and chapter. It is almost always faster for me to pick up a physical bible and turn to the scripture than it is to select the book (wait) select the chapter (wait again) and then scroll down to the verse. I am not sure of the cause of this but an easy way to at least lessen it's effects would be to have the ability to select a book and then a chapter and then click "Go" or something before it actually loads the text.

Hello and welcome to the disucssion JackBeSlow. There are two things happening here.

The first is that Rapier is being cleaned up a bit for Maemo 5. This effort will allow much of the solid work that Pamadio and others have done to pretty much go on as is.

The other effort is a Bible application, written in Qt, that is at one part simpler, but in another respect a more refined take on a mobile bible application. I've proposed some UI/UX frameworks a few pages back, and so far it seems that some of those ideas are being considered by the developers here working on that. This application is called Katana and there's a Maemo Garage project opened for this at katana.maemogarage.com (I believe that's the address).

There are many other persons contributing to this thread as well. Some are developers who want to jump into the project, others are testers, and I believe that in addition to myself that there are a few UI/UX frameworks being developed. If you want to join in, I'm sure that would not be a problem at all. As for who is leading the effort, I honestly cannot say. Pamadio certainely gets the lead role with Rapier as its his application and the hands here are helping his vision for that app. As for Katana, its come together from the posts of many people here. I'd probably have to defer to the developers working on this in respect to a "project lead." Though if asked, I'd nave no problem lending a hand in that role.

So there you (and anyone else reading this thread) have it. Its been rocking for a while, and personally, this effort feels a lot like what community-driven development projects should be. Who knows, maybe Katana becomes a highlight app for Maemo. Would be pretty sweet if that happens. But even if it doesn't, the chance to just throw in a hand where I can here is pretty exciting too.

Last edited by ARJWright; 2009-10-27 at 20:46.

Tags
bible, maemo 5, rapier, reference browser, religious apps, scripture reader, sword