Notices

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by BatPenguin View Post
Can you clarify that a bit? What loop button?
).
The loop button is on the secret hidden alarms screen. In an earlier post of this same thread I give instructions on how to get to the alarms screen. Hint, sometimes the loop button is the once button. If you click on it it becomes the loop button, click it and a color window poops up, touch the color that you want the night display to be. In your case, never, never touch the green!

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
First, jolouis, I hope you'll edit the Post #1 in this thread when you release a version later than 0.9.0 preview 1.

I honestly don't understand how anyone can use this app if it behaves for them as it does for me. If I press the Home key -- which I always use to change apps since I like having my apps full-screen -- it kills Flip Clock. Do you all just not use the hardware Home key?

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
First, jolouis, I hope you'll edit the Post #1 in this thread when you release a version later than 0.9.0 preview 1.

I honestly don't understand how anyone can use this app if it behaves for them as it does for me. If I press the Home key -- which I always use to change apps since I like having my apps full-screen -- it kills Flip Clock. Do you all just not use the hardware Home key?
Yes, everything on the keyboard is a suicide button too, heh, the post about how to find the alarm page is on page 5 of this thread. I noticed that in night mode, the "next theme" button is hidden but you can still click it, it's next to the ZZZ button on the lower right.

Using this program is actually kind of fun, it's like the old Dragon's Lair adventure games - one wrong move and YOU'RE DONE!

The Following User Says Thank You to BatPenguin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
lol seriously guys I love the feedback but you're killing me here you have to all take a step back for a minute and remember that this was called 0.9.0 PREVIEW RELEASE for a reason ;-) Yea the interface still has some glitches, yea the clock settings screen is non-existent... that color picker is there but you really aren't supposed to know it is (in fact I thought before I'd done the release I'd taken it out but obviously it slipped through the cracks!).
The hardware key exiting thing was also a goofup that I just didn't remember about until somebody mentioned it.
And as for the interface being confusing and lack of instructions... lol I agree, and don't worry there will be instructions! But let me finish building the app first before writing a detailed explanation of how to use it ;-)

Let me just clarify one big thing here for everyone... 0.9.0 Preview 1 is exactly that... a PREVIEw; not a final product, not even intended for anyone to use on a daily basis; it's sole purpose was to show you guys how the app was progressing and to build up some "buzz" regarding the improved stability and usefullness of the program ;-) I really appreciate all the feedback, and I know there are some people who've mentioned the app isn't any good/useful right now because of lack of documentation or strange/missing features so I just wanted to help explain to everyone "please don't give up on Flip because of 0.9.0 Preview shortcommings" ;-)

(BTW lemmy I understand what you're saying about comparing flip to normal "old school" alarm clocks... and to help keep a smile on your face, there will be a "simple alarm" setting in the clock settings screen that eliminates the "per day of the week" schedule so that when you set an alarm, it happens once only; I'll make it so when you hit the "stop" button the alarm goes off again and won't happen again until you turn it back on manually. Does that make sense for what you're thinking?)

Thanks all!
(BTW Ciro, I'll PM you a link to the source code as I think I screwed up the SVN the other day and it's missing a few things...)

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 38 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ California, USA
I can't wait to see this program fully worked out. I admit I have and am still using an earlier version daily and have been for a few months since stumbling on it. It has created some unstable actions on my tablet and like another pointed out - one false move and you are having to restore your tablet, but for the most part it works! For me getting the screen control back and removal of alarms when changed will put it over the top.

Great work to all involved. Really enjoying watching the progress and development. Count me in when you get to the RC.

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
I work in a large engineering lab. All day I run FlipClock while my N800 is plugged in and charging. I get more comments about my N800 from fellow workers since running FlipClock. This thread is the only one I subscribe to.

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ California, USA
I hate to say it, but this will probably be one of the premiere EOL programs for the early tablets...

Originally Posted by la3875 View Post
I hate to say it, but this will probably be one of the premiere EOL programs for the early tablets...
That's sort of half the purpose behind this... to breath some new life into our gradually ageing tablets of yesterday ;-) Of course there will be a Fremantle version too, but since N900 still doesn't exist out in the universe yet that's a bit of a future plan.

For now though things are moving along quite well! If I can wrap my head around some more graphics for the night theme (god I hate that alarm screen, what on earth was I thinking???) then preview 2 may be up and ready for testing in the next few days! Many improvements including fixing all the little bugs you've all pointed out (yes yes I fixed the "pressing any button quits the app" thing don't worry!) plus a few extra goodies for you guys to play with and check out; the one big thing still holding me back is the lack of "clock settings" screen, as once I get even a basic design for that then hopefully it'll just be a bit more of a push to get to the first Release Candidate... I'll let you guys know as soon as I get preview 2 ready for testing!

Thanks!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
Okay guys as promised, here's Preview Release II!

There's been a lot of work going into this, the biggest part being I managed to get the packaging sorted out so this should show up in Extras-devel anytime now (I'm not sure what's going on with autobuilder and why things are so slow, but anyways...). In the meantime, grab the deb from the garage page:
All fixed, give it a go!
https://garage.maemo.org/frs/downloa....3-3_armel.deb

Notes:
Before I get into changes and cool stuff, I just need to emphasize here... THIS IS STILL A PREVIEW RELEASE, so there are some things missing and problems still! ;-) Most notably these are the issues that I'm aware of but just didn't have time to fix:
  • Night mode theme is still a disaster (buttons are missing, entire screens are missing, etc)
  • The fonts/colors for the buttons on the Clock Settings screen aren't right/consistent
  • The new "About" button on the clock settings screen does nothing/doesn't work
  • The new "choose theme" button on the clock settings screen does nothing/doesn't work
These are the issues that I'm aware of, so please don't post up and report them as problems as they're already in the works; anything else though is fair game! (and as always I WANT FEEDBACK everyone! ;-) )

Now then, here's the goodies since the last version (well all the ones I can remember):
  • There's a CLOCK SETTINGS SCREEN! Finally... it only works in the default "Flip" theme, and some of the buttons on there don't do anything... but it's there. To access this screen, drag your finger from top to bottom on the main clock display (opposite of what you do to get to the ALARM SETTINGS screen). To get back just do the opposite.
  • Related to that, the Clock settings screen exposes the following options:
    12/24 HR mode switch - This fixes alarms and things automatically for you by the way, so change around as often as you like

Alarm Style Switch - This lets you change between the default "weekly" alarm setting, and the "simple/daily" alarm mode. In daily alarm mode you only set one alarm; when you turn the alarm on, it will occur the next time your set time happens. When you acknowledge the alarm (snooze or turn off) the alarm IS DISABLED AGAIN and must be MANUALLY RE-ACTIVATED. This is the behavior that lemmy was looking for I believe, so there ya go buddy!

Mood Picker - Okay it was kind of hidden before, but it's there officially now. Press anywhere in the big coloured box to choose your mood colour, and hit either OK or just click outside of the "window" to get back to the clock settings screen.
  • Hardware keys are safe now, they no longer exit the app!
  • If you have an N800, you can now use a second alarm "alert mode"; click on the button that says "sound", it will change to say "M.Player" (which is WRONG, gotta fix that). This will change some stuff and give you the option to setup FM RADIO! Click the big "TUNE FM" button to open my awesome homemade FM radio tuner thing and select your frequency. Just remember in order for FM Radio to work you need to have Headphones or external speakers hooked up... and I really have no idea if the sound will play over those or the built in speakers, I never actually tried that... but you've been warned!
  • Some more minor changes and things, but those are the biggies!

Alright so there you go everyone, we're getting closer here! But those should at least be enough changes/fixes to make this useable...

Let me know!!!

Thanks!

Last edited by jolouis; 2009-10-30 at 20:49.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
looks great.. settings page is nice. nothing crashed or blee up

BIG thanks for the simple alarm mode, I'll try it tonight.