Active Topics

Hey folks.

By now most of you probably assume that I'm a T-mobile employee trying to drive up sales given threads like this - http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33447 - but for what it's worth, I promise I'm not.

Anyways, reading the above post, you'll see that I got a subsidized phone in exchange for signing a 2 year contract (which I sold for $430). At the time, I got the Individual 300 plan + data ($29.99+$25) and later I decided to increase that to the 600 plan so that until I get my N900, I still have free nights ($39.99+$25).

I called today wanting to switch to the Even More 500 plan (which I thought was $29.99 - who doesn't want to save $10/mo?). Turns out it's actually $39.99/mo too, and only the Even More Plus (contract free) is $29.99. "oh, bummer" I said.

"We can switch you to the Even More Plus plan, there's just a one time conversion fee of $35."

I was pretty happy! Not only that, but the data plan that I currently have is also switched out, so I no longer have any contract with T-mobile, just month to month. To make things even better, I told that that I'm currently just using an old motorola clamshell, and could I just get the $10/mo data plan in the mean time (this is true - Thanks for the delay N900!). Again, they said sure!

So contrary to my past derision of Project Black here - http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...772#post354772 - It's actually saving me $25/mo, and saved me $165 off my early termination fee, in case I decide to leave. The fine print (there's always fine print) is that I "can never switch back and get a subsidized phone". So if you need to get out of a T-mobile contract or want to roll the dice on saving money on a data plan, you might try switching over.

As always, do what's best for you.

Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
Doesn't Even More Plus plan come with unlimited data? Why are you paying an addition 10/mo for your data plan?

Originally Posted by x61 View Post
Doesn't Even More Plus plan come with unlimited data? Why are you paying an addition 10/mo for your data plan?
The cheapest advertised EM+ plan that has smartphone data is $60 for 500 minutes of talk, unlimited text and unlimited data.

The OP is 'told' that he 'could' pay $10/mo for data on his dumbphone. Maybe that will work for the N900, but I doubt it. As the famous philosopher Bruce Springsteen says, 'If dreams came true, hey, wouldn't that be nice?'

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by x61 View Post
It's $30/mo for 500 minutes, $40 for 500 + text, $60 for 500 + text + web. Sounds like they let bocaj keep his old $10/mo dumbphone data plan for the Moto clamshell 'til he gets the N900. Then he'll have to go to the $60 + text + web plan.
Registered Linux user #266531.

I got a free touch pro 2 with a 2 year contract and flipped it like you did on Craigslist for $400 to subsidize the n900. I was on an unlimited family plan with another line for $230, but after switching to the Even More Plus with unlimited everything the cost dropped to $150 a month! But then she told me that while it is contract free, I would still need to finish out my initial 2 year commitment, meaning that an Early Termination Fee would still apply. Is that what they told you when you switched also? I'll take the $$ savings each month by switching, but it would be nice not to have an ETF too.

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
Not sure if this is terribly helpful since I'm on a different type of t-mobile plan (family plan), but I've been (ab)using the $10/month t-mobile data plan since I got back from the summit on my N900. YMMV.

-John

Originally Posted by RTbar View Post
I got a free touch pro 2 with a 2 year contract and flipped it like you did on Craigslist for $400 to subsidize the n900. I was on an unlimited family plan with another line for $230, but after switching to the Even More Plus with unlimited everything the cost dropped to $150 a month! But then she told me that while it is contract free, I would still need to finish out my initial 2 year commitment, meaning that an Early Termination Fee would still apply. Is that what they told you when you switched also? I'll take the $$ savings each month by switching, but it would be nice not to have an ETF too.
They said it would be contract free, and I asked very specifically if that would also apply to my smartphone plan. She checked with a manger and said yes, and then took a while to do some overrides on a computer, so I'm thinking the answer is that no early termination fee would apply. On top of that, the entire smartphone data plan part was waved when I switched to the $10/mo plan, so I'm almost certain I'm wholly off contract. On the other hand, I am told I can't make the same sort of subsidy (at least on T-mobile) next time around [shrug].

The person on the phone told me that the $10/mo data plan delivered different content. Whether that restricts me to a whitelist of sites or limits my speed/aggregate usage/blocks ports remains to be seen, but others here have reported no problems using their $10/mo plan, so I'm guessing it's just marketing speak.

O