Notices

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
Originally Posted by jolouis View Post
By the way I guess nobody's tried this on an N800? No comments at all about the FM radio stuff that I added and whether it works properly/looks cool/etc?...
Looks amazing/awesome/super cool.... on my N800

So much so that when I saw the N900 radio, I immediatly thought they had ripped off your interface...

(I didn't have my headphones so just played with the interface)

Thanks

Matt

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

Last edited by Snoshrk; 2009-11-01 at 06:30. Reason: fix quote

A clarification on my earlier bug-report: I can't get to the menues by swiping up or down in the night-theme mode. It works in the day-mode.

elimoon8 - Should I just put the standard set of colours on there, or the last ones that you've picked? I'm thinking standard red, green, blue like the original Flip would be pretty good...thoughts?
I was thinking a mixture of the two.

An example interface would be where the standard set of colors (showing only about 4 colors at a time) with left/right arrows would be one line. A set of previously chosen colors would be another line below it. In very crude text:

Theme Color:
< (red) (blue) (green) (orange) >
< (light red) (pink) (dark green) > (color picker button)

Where the first line is the "standard" color set, and the second line is the colors last chosen. Of course, (color) represent square "buttons" of color.

Also, for nerdy/very picky people there could be an RGB tweaker to the right of the color picker, where you could put in an exact number for the red, green, and blue values.

Just throwing my random ideas out there.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
sampieter - Yea this is a bug in night mode only... I forgot to make a blank digit to "cover up" the old one once the time rolled over. It's on the list to fix. Did you notice that the date got all screwed up too? I laughed when I saw it overdrawing itself this morning as well!

Thanks for confirming that "no crash when switching views thing" as I couldn't reproduce it here either... and I went CRAZY with trying to... lol

Tintin as for the swipe in night mode, doesn't surpise me I think the settings are waaay off on that theme; it's on my list of todo tweaks. Try pushing down and dragging WAY up or down, see if that makes it work or not (you have to press, drag while pressing, and release for it to work). I think on the night theme it's like 30px, where as on regular flip it's more like 10px...

Snoshrk - Thanks for confirming that! I think I have an issue with the FM radio not turning off properly (briefly tested last night), but I have to double check that. At least the interface looks good! lol I didn't even know there was an N900 radio app out yet...

elimoon8 - Interesting, ok well I think for now I'm going to do the preset colours thing, and add the "last few colours" to the "todo" list. I have to modify the colour picker box anyways because I realized the other day the thing isn't right... i.e. you can't choose a brighter or darker colour, only a range between colours! So gotta fix that...

As a general update for everyone, I also sat down today and spent some time working on a new theme as I just couldn't bring myself to get back into the code today (I've been working on it too many hours for too long now, needed a break!). I have to say, this one's looking pretty cool, I think you guys are gonna enjoy it... no promises on timelines for it yet, but if you're really eager let me know and I'll try to get a "basic" version of it up for you guys to play with...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
about the mis-timed alarms - it was a DST
problem. The alarms are setting for the correct
time now.

the crashes I experience seem to result
from not giving flipclock time to settle down
(so to speak). If I am slow and deliberate
and wait a while after it starts to try setting
alarms I don't seem to get the crashes.

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Berkshire
I reinstalled this after having tried an earlier version, and it's looking very good now.

Two minor problems I noticed:

1) I set the clock into 24-hour mode; the time was displayed OK in 24-hour mode (it was around 22:40). I then set an alarm for 07:45 the next morning. When I went to the clock screen, the alarm was set for 19:45.

2) I happened to wake up at around 3:30 am (due to dogs, not the alarm going off at the wrong time ), and noticed that the clock was showing 23:30. The first digit hadn't changed from 2 at midnight.

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Curaçao, Netherlands Antilles
Up and down drags on the clock screen seems to be less responsive. It often took me 2-3 swipes up or down to get to the next screen
hmmm that one's odd as the code hasn't changed for that in a while... I probably need to tweak the button code for that to make it a little more obvious; it only works when your finger is actually over top of the digits themselves, and you have to drag down or up 20 pixels in order to trigger the change....

Can any one give me suggestions as to how to better handle this?? There's not enough space on the interface to make two more buttons "clock settings" and "alarm settings", but at the same time the drag thing really is tricky for people; There will be a little help/tutorial thing to explain it in the final version, but is explaining it a good enough solution or should I try and find another way of making it work?!

Jolouis,

Ideally, your design should 'speak for itself' and you should not have to explain how to use your program. However, a manual is greatly needed (and I will help you with it as promised).

The dragging up & down feature is most probably a result of your wish to make this program 'finger friendly'. As you undoubtly will remember, I myself had to ask this forum how to get to the alarm settings screen. I could not figure it out myself

Another finger friendly feature is the overall button design: they all are large and therefor easy to use with your finger.

But you use three types of user input interfaces: gestures, on-screen buttons (GUI) & a hardware button (the 'Escape' key for insomniac mode on/off).

Your program would be easier to figure out when you just use one interface. But hey! I like the up/down gesture! It's cool! And it's easy to have a dedicated hardware button to turn the clock lights on or off. And... I cannot imagine that all features can be either placed under hardware buttons or that they all can be used with gestures.

So... please keep using all three interfaces , but how can we better handle it?

Splash-screen / tip-of-the-day:
When I open the program, I see this splash screen:
Flipclock the ultimate timepiece loading up
Instead you can use something like this:
Drag your finger from the bottom of the screen to the top for the Flipclock alarm settings!
It will look like a 'tip of the day'! (You might want to put in a delay so people will have the time to actually read it. And you might get requests for a 'splash screen on/off' setting)
Alarms button instead of Exit button:
You can replace the 'Exit' button with an 'Alarms' button. This will make it easier for new users to get to the alarm settings screen.

Exit the program via a hardware button: use either the Power key or the Full-screen key.

A 'Settings' button can be significally smaller than the other buttons, because you only need to tweak the settings sporadically. I wouldn't mind to use my stylus to tap this (smaller) button. You might be able to 'squeeze' in a small 'Settings' button on the main screen?
A final thought on the 'Exit' button used in the night theme:
It depicts a person sleeping (Zzzz... Zzzzz...) I was very confused by this button when I first used your program: Is it a snooze button? Will it put the program to sleep (minimize) when I click on it? Even if you don't replace this button by a 'Settings' button, please consider an exit sign (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exit_sign for examples).

The Following User Says Thank You to sampieter For This Useful Post:
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by albright View Post
about the mis-timed alarms - it was a DST
problem. The alarms are setting for the correct
time now.
Excellent, yea I noticed this myself too... so when spring rolls around and everyone starts complaining again, it's DST's fault not mine! ;-)

the crashes I experience seem to result
from not giving flipclock time to settle down
(so to speak). If I am slow and deliberate
and wait a while after it starts to try setting
alarms I don't seem to get the crashes.
This seems to be more of a general platform thing than anything else. Flip needs to load stuff into memory, and by the time the main display shows up everything SHOULD be loaded, but on the tablets loading can take a bit of time so that might be the issue. In any event I'll keep an eye out and make sure I don't have any runaway code issues, but I think this really just is a limit of the hardware we're using VS the loading requirements of the app. I've also noticed that sometimes Flip is a little bit slow to react when you first wake up the tablet (i.e. it was inactive), but then things pick up again and run fine; I assume this is something to do with the tablet "getting the CPU and memory back up to speed" after low power mode...

1) I set the clock into 24-hour mode; the time was displayed OK in 24-hour mode (it was around 22:40). I then set an alarm for 07:45 the next morning. When I went to the clock screen, the alarm was set for 19:45.
Thanks for reporting that, I haven;t played with 24 hour mode too much but I think I know what's causing that one, just a little goof up on my part. I'll try to take care of it ASAP for you. (If you went back to the alarm screen did it also say the alarm was now set for 1945?

I happened to wake up at around 3:30 am (due to dogs, not the alarm going off at the wrong time ), and noticed that the clock was showing 23:30. The first digit hadn't changed from 2 at midnight.
For anyone who's seen this (not the dogs of course but the digit missing thing), is it only on the night theme, or does it happen on the regular flip too? I'm pretty sure I fixed it for regular flip, but can anyone confirm that?

sampieter - That deserves another posting to answer

The Following User Says Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 40 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Berkshire

Thanks for reporting that, I haven;t played with 24 hour mode too much but I think I know what's causing that one, just a little goof up on my part. I'll try to take care of it ASAP for you. (If you went back to the alarm screen did it also say the alarm was now set for 1945?
When I went back to the alarm screen, it still showed 07:45.

For anyone who's seen this (not the dogs of course but the digit missing thing), is it only on the night theme, or does it happen on the regular flip too? I'm pretty sure I fixed it for regular flip, but can anyone confirm that?
I'm afraid that I can't recall which theme I was using at the time. If I remember, I'll try again tonight (hopefully without the waking up early!).

@sampieter - great ideas!