Active Topics

http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...in_for_web_sms

I am looking at developing a plugin or application to allow for the use of web sms services on the maemo platform.

My thoughts so far are that a telepathy plugin could be created that would send sms's through a web based service and add the sent sms's to the normal sms outbox.

Does anybody have any experience with the apis for sms's or telepathy plugins?

Is anybody else interested in seeing this developed?

Thanks
cocayden

Last edited by chemist; 2010-03-23 at 11:23.

seeing as google voice does sms, i think most people are probably going to be focusing towards that.

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Istanbul, Turkey
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
seeing as google voice does sms, i think most people are probably going to be focusing towards that.
As Google Voice is only available for users in the United States, we need a solution available globally.
|[ Maemo 5 101 / Maemo 5'e Giriş ][ Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) / Sık Sorulan Sorular (SSS) ]|
If I can help with anything else, just ask / Yardımcı olabileceğim birşey varsa, sormaktan çekinmeyin

Unfortunately google voice is not available where I live or anywhere apart from the US as a far as I am aware.

I am simply trying to give users from outside the US another option for web sms'ing

After more research it appears a number of providers provide a web address api. That allows messages to be sent by a specially crafted url. This would make creating a telepathy plugin a lot simpler as no protocol would have to be implemented. Messages would just have to be added to the sms sent box or a special sent messages box.

Do web sms providers in other countries use a similar api?

I would find this useful. Currently I use a web based SMS service (http://sms.ballou.se). It is cheaper to by credits there than to send with my current GSM provider

I know they have a REST API for sending aswell but havent used it and dont know any details.

I also know there are places where you can send 1 free sms per day and so on, but I doutbt they have API:s

The Following User Says Thank You to bni For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
Any news on this ?

I need this feature badly as well.
As I'm mostly abroad and can't get a lot of times a local SIM card at a decent tariff as I don't have an offical address (Hotel X or Y doesn't really count). So I try to go for an IP only solution. I'm sure the telcos love this ... NOT

I'm looking into the (standard) telepathy but for now still a bit lost. I didn't really find the a single bit of code in there that deals with SMS. If someone has at least a pointer to the 'standard' Maemo 5 source code, that would be helpfull to understand how the pieces fit together.

Thanks.

@Netweaver

I am looking at developing this when my n900 arrives.

The telepathy deals with text chat and from my understanding this is what is used for sms's. The main issue is how voip companies allow you to send an sms. Some allow using a simple url containing everything in the url, others use email to sms and some web interfaces. The provider i am looking at provides all three of these. Making it more difficult is the face that web interfaces are all different and finding a way to template these for different providers would prove difficult.

Posts: 547 | Thanked: 1,383 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Adding the SMS's to the Outbox might be as simple as adding them to the sqlite database in ~/.rtcom-eventlogger/el.db

About Telepathy, the docs for phone/SMS features haven't been published yet (afaik) (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...5&postcount=15), as I've been looking for them for a while now Last I heard they were delayed.. :P

Problem with fMMS? Run in x-terminal: cp /tmp/fmms.log /home/user/MyDocs/
After that you'll see fmms.log in filemanager or when you connect the device to your desktop as a mass storage device.
E-mail the log to me, if you don't have the email address, drop me a PM. Thanks!

fMMS - MMS for your N900
fAPN - GUI for adding a new GPRS APN
If you like this post, don't be shy to thank me -->

The Following User Says Thank You to frals For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
@cocayden

Indeed, I was also looking into developing this.

Have a look in the work the colleagues from xda-developers. They are quite some steps ahead in creating a more or less generic solution.

Of course UI wise and backend are completely different, But at least the generics have been developed already.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...321137&page=13

It looks like this package can be helpfull to get an idea on the current SMS implementation, at least on the backend side : http://maemo.org/packages/view/csd-sms/

From reading upon it, it looks D-Bus indeed but not the Telepathy framework.
We're out of luck on the backend code though, as per http://lwn.net/Articles/356825/

Maemo 5 uses a closed-source stack called the cellular service daemon (CSD), and Denis-Courmont said that oFono is unlikely to make it to Maemo 6 by launch time, either.

Free software purists may decry the N900 for its inclusion of proprietary code, including the CSD phone stack. Unlike other closed applications on Maemo devices, however, there has never been a free alternative, so oFono represents a big piece of the "purity" puzzle — even if it is several years from appearing in consumer devices. When asked by the audience why Nokia did not simply open up CSD, Denis-Courmont responded that the company was not satisfied with the code and preferred to write a proper open source solution from scratch, even if that takes time.
Maybe the frontend side is more open and we can learn some stuff from there. But I haven't found that package/code yet. Still looking. I have some real work as well to do sometimes

The Following User Says Thank You to Netweaver For This Useful Post: