Active Topics

Notices

Google gears on the n810 would solve all my calendar, mail app, office app and synchronization needs. Is there any chance of getting a browser with gears compatibility / functionality on my n810 or the n900 ?

--------------------------------------
http://code.google.com/apis/gears/ge...inuxCompatible

# Benefits of a web app as a desktop app:

* One codebase vs. a desktop application's various client (OS X, Linux, Windows) codebases
* Easy auto-update mechanism (updating JavaScript, HTML, CSS, manifest version number) vs. desktop application's complicated software update process

What does Gears require to be compatible with my Linux system?
If you'd like to run the Gears for Firefox on a Linux (32-bit) platform, please make sure your system has glibc 2.3.5 or higher and libstdc++6 (Gears 0.3) or libstdc++5 (Gears pre-0.3)

Linux - Firefox - Files are stored in the user home directory.
Location: ~bob/.mozilla/firefox/<firefox's profile id>/Gears for Firefox
Example: ~bob/.mozilla/firefox/08ywpi3q.default/Gears for Firefox

great question...i second it

I think everyone agrees with this. The problem is it's a Google product & as such you have to ask Google to pretty please give it to you. There was actually a binary made available on a forum but people had pretty limited success with it. For more info see:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=27650
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=17174

Going forward, maybe Fennec (Firefox Mobile) will help?

Last edited by buurmas; 2009-11-04 at 19:06. Reason: added note about Fennec

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buurmas For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the answer, even though it means we just have to keep on waiting and cross our fingers that google gears support may come one day. I have not found any fennec - google gears related news; are there any 'official' plans to bring gears to fennec?

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
I think everyone agrees with this. The problem is it's a Google product & as such you have to ask Google to pretty please give it to you.
Can we please stop Google bashing????

"Gears is open source software, licensed under the New BSD license. . . . The New BSD license allows you to embed the Gears runtime or API in your software, with very minimal restrictions."
http://code.google.com/apis/gears/ge...ml#needLicense

The source code is here (and can be checked out anonymously for the Google paranoids among us) :

http://code.google.com/p/gears/source/checkout

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DaveP1 For This Useful Post:
Thanks for clarifying that.

So now we "only" need someone to compile the source code as a fennec add-on (or for other maemo browsers).

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by rocketscientist View Post
So now we "only" need someone to compile the source code as a fennec add-on (or for other maemo browsers).
I'd volunteer but the last compiler I used was for COBOL on an IBM 3090.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
This is the one thing that I still really miss on my N800. Being able to update a calendar or to-do list, from my computer or my Tablet, and have that on my NIT even while I'm offline, without bothering with GPE/Erminig/etc., would just be the best.

Between this thread and this other thread, it seems it ought to be possible.

Any chance that any of you great coders are going to give this a shot for Tear or MicroB in Diablo?

(I haven't followed syncing in Fremantle although I've seen thread titles about it. Is it even useful/necessary for Fremantle and is anything happening on that score?)

Posts: 130 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Canada
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
This is the one thing that I still really miss on my N800. Being able to update a calendar or to-do list, from my computer or my Tablet, and have that on my NIT even while I'm offline, without bothering with GPE/Erminig/etc., would just be the best.
*agreement, vehement agreement*

Aside, any pointers to how to reconcile gcal & GPE after (I assume it was the daylight savings switch) some, but not all my recurring appointments moved forward 1 hr in time?

I second this. we really need gears for fennec in maemo