Active Topics

Posts: 154 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Lima-Perú
of course that is not a HW problem. frequencies are way Old, look regular radios ^^, or do u need buy extra radios to switch from one station to other, or from FM to AM, SW1,2,3,4.......

So PETER!!! surprise us, giving us a xmas gift including WDCMA 850/1900 on n900;
TIA!

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
@Arrancamos: Great analogy about the FM radios. It applies more than you think. Try taking your old FM radio from the US (87.8 - 107.7MHz) to Japan (76 - 90MHz). And that's just on the receiving side...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 154 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Lima-Perú
the deep point is that there is no technological issue about enable all bands on a desired celular phone. This practice is nothing new.

so, all is about Nokia political and/or marketing strategy decition.

At least hope they include quad band for WCDMA on n900, in order to enable it thru software in the future.
Regards.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by Arrancamos View Post
the deep point is that there is no technological issue about enable all bands on a desired celular phone. This practice is nothing new.

so, all is about Nokia political and/or marketing strategy decition.

At least hope they include quad band for WCDMA on n900, in order to enable it thru software in the future.
Regards.
Are there any quad band UMTS devices? I've never heard of any from any manufacturer. I think it's bit more complicated than building FM radios....

Posts: 946 | Thanked: 1,650 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
of course that is not a HW problem.
wrong, please read Fargus' comment above!

The Following User Says Thank You to titan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by texaslabrat View Post
Modularity, as has been previously mentioned, adds enormous costs to development and manufacturing.
That's too broad. As has also been mentioned, modularity can LOWER development and manufacturing costs as well. Manufacturing one battery that would work across numerous devices, for instance, is much, much cheaper than dealing with numerous battery configurations.

I really wish we could put this simplistic and misleading canard to rest...

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-11-08 at 20:09.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
of course that is not a HW problem. frequencies are way Old, look regular radios ^^, or do u need buy extra radios to switch from one station to other, or from FM to AM, SW1,2,3,4.......

So PETER!!! surprise us, giving us a xmas gift including WDCMA 850/1900 on n900;
TIA!
Odds are a deal was made with T-mobile for 3G exclusivity on first-run devices. Circumstantial evidence increasingly points to that as highly possible and even probable.

Disclaimer: I have zero inside info on this (I would not speculate at all if I did).

Yeah, those folks wanting modularization are just crazy. Everyone knows devices with modular components are always insanely more expensive.

Look at PCs. I'm sure those crazy folks want CPUs you can just pop in a socket to change them out to a faster speed one. That would make the PC just outrageously expensive. Thank god they are all soldered to the motherboard.

The Following User Says Thank You to LurkerX For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Odds are a deal was made with T-mobile for 3G exclusivity on first-run devices. Circumstantial evidence increasingly points to that as highly possible and even probable.

Disclaimer: I have zero inside info on this (I would not speculate at all if I did).
Rather than any exclusive deals might it just be the chipset is cheaper without the frequencies that AT&T use? I believe that the frequencies chosen are well used outside the USA and GSM is afterall a European standard. Maybe it's just as simple as reducing costs when the expected market was predominately outside the USA?

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
Rather than any exclusive deals might it just be the chipset is cheaper without the frequencies that AT&T use? I believe that the frequencies chosen are well used outside the USA and GSM is afterall a European standard. Maybe it's just as simple as reducing costs when the expected market was predominately outside the USA?
OK, so you go on the cheap and make your device non functional on the biggest cell Data network in the US? TMO is number 4 in the US, without a deal that move makes no sense to me.