It's odd that our angry chinese poster (i guess it's kinda obvious, right?) turned against one of the devices with most promise in this field. First, adding interface text is pretty easy, just look at the desktop distros of linux, where you can easily select swahili if you must. Since maemo does support localization in some languages, i see no reason why other language packs (including chinese) shouldn't be easy to install.
Now, input is a very different thing. I know little about asian languages, but i'm quite sure lots of them use hundreds (even thousands) of symbols. Now putting them all on a keyboard would be a pain. On screen keyboard would also be pretty difficult. Sign recognition would be obvious. That works how on iphone? At least the n900 has the technical ability to do this, only some software needed.

I don't think it's odd at all. If it's one of the devices with most promise - and I think it might just be - and it's still not quite good enough, then I understand the frustration.

I have experienced the same frustration when the best mobile internet browser at the time was not at all good. Well, some things only time (and software improvements) can heal.

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
This one really got me!

Kanji is NOT a speaking language. Kanji is a written language that is being used by Chinese as well as Japanese. I guess, you can read (interprete) Kanji, you cannot "speak"(?) Kanji, or Kanji is being 'spoken' differently by Chinese vs Japanese. (I am completely lost by the use of the word "speak" )

Now we go into the part, WHAT is a language, spoken, or written, or both, or neither, how about sign language? How about computer language FORTRAN, BASIC, COBOL, .... (hey, help me to add more, computer geeks!). When you are with your love one(s), there are body language. These are the languages just off top of my head.

The quoted statement may or may not be correct, depends on how one use the word, hey, "speaking".

bun
Sorry mytypo: using the tablet to respond. I meant Kanji based languages. Primary input is written on the tablet so whilst context is different input methods are the same basis. Thanks for the query though!

The Following User Says Thank You to Fargus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 49 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ 驚く為五郎
Originally Posted by omniscy View Post
The internet concept is always globally. Therefore everybody should try to speak the same language, and stop f***king around with exotic languages :P
ok ,sun of beach !

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Nokia currently offers products in over 180 different languages in 150 different countries.

Maemo is Nokia's youngest platform and lets not forget the whole step 4 out of 5 thingy. I'm pretty sure that we'll see vastly wider localization support once the platform matures.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MaemoGuy View Post
Draco hit the nail on the head there.

Yes, the INTERNET is global but N900 is a mobile device that is aimed mainly at markets and countries where users have unlimited data downloads, who wants to use the internet anywhere they happen to be, via their service operators, such as Vodafone, T-Mobile, Verizon, etc.

So, there's no point selling N900 in countries such as India and China where most subscribers won't have Unlimited Data package or cheap data packages with their service providers.

Just my 2 cents.

how do you know that!?

Originally Posted by quingu View Post
Only about half of China's population can speak the national language, Mandarin.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6426005.stm
BBC is always to report the stituation of China in bias. Can you approve all 100% British believe BBS reports first?

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
This one really got me!

Kanji is NOT a speaking language. Kanji is a written language that is being used by Chinese as well as Japanese. I guess, you can read (interprete) Kanji, you cannot "speak"(?) Kanji, or Kanji is being 'spoken' differently by Chinese vs Japanese. (I am completely lost by the use of the word "speak" )

Now we go into the part, WHAT is a language, spoken, or written, or both, or neither, how about sign language? How about computer language FORTRAN, BASIC, COBOL, .... (hey, help me to add more, computer geeks!). When you are with your love one(s), there are body language. These are the languages just off top of my head.

The quoted statement may or may not be correct, depends on how one use the word, hey, "speaking".

bun
Kanji is Japanese stuff not Chinese, If you dont know it, please be quite, thx.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by lonelybug View Post
how do you know that!?
He doesn't know it. Usual american ignorance about world outside the 50 states. 117 million mobile internet users in China, or was at the begining of 2009. God knows how many million more users since then.

http://www.erwinvanlun.com/ww/full/m...net_use_china/

Originaly Kanji have also been used in China. Japan as a feudal state of China took over the chinese characters.
Today China has reformed their way of writting the characters.

Japan and Taiwan using the old way of writting them. And they call it Kanji. (Only Japanese people)

Hope what I've written is correct, but I remember something like that heared in university.

Edit: And... is it that easy to launch a device in a country censoring the internet and offering services for mobile communication over internet and instant messaging?
Don't really know what the Chinese government is doing with this matter.

Last edited by draco.bdn; 2009-11-06 at 15:27.

The Following User Says Thank You to draco.bdn For This Useful Post:

Tags
cool story bro, cunning linguist, dumb thread read if bored, he can't get an n900, he loves the iphone..., stop the sexism, toe, too long didn't read, turning japanese, wooptadeedoo!, yes we know why, you're lonely