Active Topics

Originally Posted by Guyver View Post
Just wondering is the product number this? -->.SKU 10208380 because my order says this and my previous order which is cancelled says SKU 6957363
Their excuse could be reasonable. My model number is showing SKU 10208380. I ordered with the 3 15% discounts + topcashback on 19th Oct. Haven't recieved any call or email asking me to re-order.

The Following User Says Thank You to vdx29 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
People in the UK who are planning to mostly use the N900 for data, and who only make occasional use of voice or SMS, may wish to consider the Virgin PAYG SIM.

Data is 30 pence for each day that you use it, unlimited. Virgin's definition of "unlimited" means up to 25 megabytes (after which there's a steep per-megabyte charge). Or, for £5 from your PAYE balance, you can buy their Mobile Internet Bundle. This runs for a month, and is unlimited. Virgin's definition of "unlimited" means 1 GB, but if you exceed that it seems that you go back on to the 30p per day charge for any days that you use internet over the rest of the month.

Virgin uses T-Mobile's 3G network, so basically you're paying 30p per day instead of £1 per day by using Virgin PAYG instead of T-Mobile PAYG, in return for one big downside: the need to watch your usage to make sure you don't go above 25MB per day.

http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/gener...les.shop.sm034
http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/gener...iff.shop.sm285

Regards,
Roger

The Following User Says Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
Data is 30 pence for each day that you use it, unlimited. Virgin's definition of "unlimited" means up to 25 megabytes (after which there's a steep per-megabyte charge). Or, for £5 from your PAYE balance, you can buy their Mobile Internet Bundle.
Note the fine print however:

Unlimited use is within the UK and is for your personal, non-commercial use only. It doesn’t include making internet phone or video calls, peer to peer file sharing, using your phone as a modem, or while you are abroad and any of these uses will be charged at the per MB data rate for your tariff outlined in our Tariff Table.

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Edinburgh
Tmobile have a Pay as you go just now thats Top up £10 for the month , and get free texts and free intrernet (40M a day) the next month

but it also says the'll not stamp if you go occasionally over.

The Following User Says Thank You to cgarvie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 354 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ London (UK) / Zielona Góra (PL)
Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
People in the UK who are planning to mostly use the N900 for data, and who only make occasional use of voice or SMS, may wish to consider the Virgin PAYG SIM.

Data is 30 pence for each day that you use it, unlimited. Virgin's definition of "unlimited" means up to 25 megabytes (after which there's a steep per-megabyte charge). Or, for £5 from your PAYE balance, you can buy their Mobile Internet Bundle. This runs for a month, and is unlimited. Virgin's definition of "unlimited" means 1 GB, but if you exceed that it seems that you go back on to the 30p per day charge for any days that you use internet over the rest of the month.
I'd rather suggest Vodafone TopUp And Go. It comes in a bundle with USB modem, however you could stick modem on eBay and keep SIM card that gives 1GB of transfer without any time limits for £15 top-up (inital package is already topped up). I am using it myself and I can surely recommend it, and I'm going to use it with N900 when it finally arrives.

The Following User Says Thank You to evad For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 80 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by evad View Post
I'd rather suggest Vodafone TopUp And Go. It comes in a bundle with USB modem, however you could stick modem on eBay and keep SIM card that gives 1GB of transfer without any time limits for £15 top-up (inital package is already topped up). I am using it myself and I can surely recommend it, and I'm going to use it with N900 when it finally arrives.
Their website suggests this is a data only SIM. Can you confirm if you also get a regular GSM voice number please?

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ London (UK) / Zielona Góra (PL)
Originally Posted by Faz View Post
Their website suggests this is a data only SIM. Can you confirm if you also get a regular GSM voice number please?
Yes, this is data-only plan. Voice calls are actually disabled on this plan (although you get a number, of course). Text messages are working OK, afair.

The Following User Says Thank You to evad For This Useful Post:
Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
I'm fairly sure the Vodafone PAYG dongle SIMs don't allow you to send text messages. You can receive them OK, of course, but then that doesn't require any billing.

It would be interesting to pair a data only SIM with a VOIP service that provides a normal phone number, but it seems a bit risky - you'd only have voice calling when you had a decent 3G connection, whereas a normal SIM will get you basic GSM voice even in quite poor reception areas.

If it were me, I'd go for the data-only SIM if the N900 was only going to be a computer, and I was going to keep another phone for phone type stuff, but I'm not.

The Following User Says Thank You to ewan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by evad View Post
Yes, this is data-only plan. Voice calls are actually disabled on this plan (although you get a number, of course). Text messages are working OK, afair.
That's a shame. I'm looking to replace my E90 Communicator and N810 with the N900 so will require a SIM with voice to port my number to. Although I suppose in theory I could migrate to VoIP...

I'm getting the N900 SIM-free so I'll initially be using my Orange (Virgin OVP) SIM, but hoping to eventually move to a reasonable flexible data plan.

Originally Posted by ewan View Post
I'm fairly sure the Vodafone PAYG dongle SIMs don't allow you to send text messages. You can receive them OK, of course, but then that doesn't require any billing.

It would be interesting to pair a data only SIM with a VOIP service that provides a normal phone number, but it seems a bit risky - you'd only have voice calling when you had a decent 3G connection, whereas a normal SIM will get you basic GSM voice even in quite poor reception areas.

If it were me, I'd go for the data-only SIM if the N900 was only going to be a computer, and I was going to keep another phone for phone type stuff, but I'm not.
The idea does appeal to me but as you rightly point out too risky, plus can we really trust the network operators not to change their terms and start blocking or applying a surcharge for VoIP or something?

Unless I come across any other offerings, I'll most likely migrate to T-Mobile as their unlimited data plans look to be the most flexible and they don't charge if you exceed their fair usage policy.

Tags
£306!!