Active Topics

Hey guys I got gaim installed for a while now but i never really tried to get on it other then the wifi that is at my house but when going to my college today i got on the internet just fine but when trying to access gaim it just stays in the connecting screen and thats it if someone could help that would be great thank a lot.

Posts: 316 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Maryland, US
- maybe your collage is blocking IM applications?
- maybe you need to set up a proxy in Gaim

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I'm betting Gaim's port is blocked.

how do you unblock the port or cant you?

Originally Posted by hemplacrosse4 View Post
how do you unblock the port or cant you?
you can't, the college probably has either a firewall or proxy in place to stop that. I would suspect that you need to use a proxy. I'd be surprise if a college is blocking IM port since that would seem counterproductive for a education environment.

yeah i thought that to i see people on AIM on their laptops all the time if that helps to decide wheather or not their blocking it

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
The tablets *should* be able to access whatever the laptops access. If AIM service can be accessed on laptops, then GAIM on the 770 or N800 should work in the same environment. If it does not, then there is a configuration issue. One way to test is to try your GAIM client out in an environment (such as your home) where you have complete control, and make sure everything works in that sandbox. Then return to the college and try again. If still unsuccessful, you may have to work with their onsite IT guys.