Active Topics

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
This is basically what I said earlier, so I agree

Of course, the ironic thing is we do not have either device to compare anything, apples or oranges.

At the rate things are going though, people mght have HD2's before N900's
Yeah, my post was mostly a recap and some links, but most information was in the topic allready, just wanted to offer my insight into it.

And you are quite correct. How can anyone determine if it's "fast enough" without actually having the devices, both in their hand. And then still, what if the SnapDragon with Windows Mobile is 2 seconds faster in rendering the same page. Is that a winner then? Your still stuck with windows mobile (no offence) and other stuff which comes with it.

So it will be everyone, by themselves which will have to determine if the N900's hardware AND software is up to the task. Benchmarks and benchmarks, sure. But reallife sometimes differs.

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Well, one thing is for sure, BOTH chipsets are MUCH better than the non-hardware-driver-due-to-legal-reasons Qualcomm 7201 that is in my G1.

Well, at least the Xperia 2 has the drivers

This is basically what I said earlier, so I agree

Of course, the ironic thing is we do not have either device to compare anything, apples or oranges.

At the rate things are going though, people mght have HD2's before N900's
HD2s have shipped already

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Snapdragon, unless there are more than one source for their GPU-not counting the integrated features on snap itself.
Nm... Adreno 200 (formerly known as AMD Z430)

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Nm... Adreno 200 (formerly known as AMD Z430)
Yep and the spec is apparently 600mhz, but the power to get the chip to push polys is the issue. Watching Quake 3 play with bots on the N900 with sound and no sign of lag at least tells me the N900 can at least perform practically for stuff that needs it

I think it is fair to say that the 3430 is a more balanced chipset solution for "phones" when considering power consumption and graphics balance.

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Not really -- swap is good even if you have plenty of RAM, because it allows more caching. Paging in the exact portion of a cached file that's needed is significantly faster than rooting through the filesystem to read it.
I do agree that it's a bit of a cheat the way they go on as though it had 1GB of RAM, but I'd want significant swap in any case.
Ah I never thought of it that way, never seen anyone mention cache being dumped into swap, I always figured cache just was dropped outright as RAM runs out (as it sometimes feels like it has).

I don't think it really remains to be seen, unless you've some reason to suspect the eMMC will wear out faster than the 1GB in the N810. People have been using swap on them ever since they came out, and I've heard of no problems. Actually, since the swap region is a smaller fraction of the 32GB than of the 1GB, it should last longer.
To be fair, I know nothing about previous tablets. However you do have to consider that the faster the device the more it can hammer the eMMC.

I would imagine you are right as its not like Nokia will have just grabbed a box of spare parts and thrown it together. There will have been extensive testing before deciding on this hardware.

Yes, the MMC spec requires wear-leveling built-in. I've heard that some cheap cards disregard the spec and don't have wear leveling, but I've no clue the veracity of this rumor. (FWIW, I heard it in conjunction with couterfeit name-brand SDs.) I'm sure the eMMCs Nokia's using are genuine and conform to spec.
Good to know. I just was worried that as MMC/SD started out being used lightweight that its usage pattern may have evolved quicker that the specification. I just remember a SmartMedia card failing on me because my old MP3 player was buggy and seemed to have to do every write multiple times, funnily enough a similar problem happened with an MMC card too. But we are talking a long long time ago.

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Well, one thing is for sure, BOTH chipsets are MUCH better than the non-hardware-driver-due-to-legal-reasons Qualcomm 7201 that is in my G1.

Well, at least the Xperia 2 has the drivers
Don't rub it in. If it was legal issues then why can't they release updated firmware to fix all the older hardware?

The only big difference between the Xperia 1 and 2 is the drivers, its a total ripoff and one reason I am glad I am rid of mine. I bought the Xperia on the condition it had 3D hardware, might have had second thoughts if I had realised about the drivers. Pah!

Roll on N900......

Originally Posted by Alex Atkin UK View Post
Don't rub it in. If it was legal issues then why can't they release updated firmware to fix all the older hardware?

The only big difference between the Xperia 1 and 2 is the drivers, its a total ripoff and one reason I am glad I am rid of mine. I bought the Xperia on the condition it had 3D hardware, might have had second thoughts if I had realised about the drivers. Pah!

Roll on N900......
Xperia 2 shows what kind of media powerhouse we could have had if the cpu did not have to do all the work

It is an issue of money and dev roadmaps. Xperia 2 had good timing and Sony E has the resources.

You want to see peed off people, just wait until all of the G1, Cliq, My Touch, Hero etc 7200 series users try to run Android 2.0 AND Flash 10.1 at the same time. Lag city, especially for people that can not clock to 528mhz. They are all underclocked AND have no drivers for video hardware and integrated DSP.

Yikes.

I'd love to see a comparison - the HD2 has some pretty impressive hardware, and there's been a few videos posted to support that:

http://wmpoweruser.com/?p=9905

The person filming opens one app after another and leaves them all running in the background, scrolling around in the GUI and opening new apps (including playing videos and navigation software) and the HD2 doesn't even stutter.

What would happen if you did this on the N900?

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by bemymonkey View Post
I'd love to see a comparison - the HD2 has some pretty impressive hardware, and there's been a few videos posted to support that:

http://wmpoweruser.com/?p=9905

The person filming opens one app after another and leaves them all running in the background, scrolling around in the GUI and opening new apps (including playing videos and navigation software) and the HD2 doesn't even stutter.

What would happen if you did this on the N900?
when i tested a proto, there was about 10 programs open in the background. and i found that out after a while when i managed to get all running apps as a list to the screen...
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search