Active Topics

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
I would like MMS if there wasn't a size limit on the video or the pictures as its presently configured it just sucks. I never send mms I just email, but then again I live in New York where everyone either has a Blackberry or an iPhone so getting pictures immediately is easy.

Originally Posted by mobiledivide View Post
...New York where everyone either has a Blackberry or an iPhone.....
Really?
Going be a tough market for Nokia then..
Also why I think MMS should be avoided, use of email or upload to social networking sites instead.

I do need my MMS. I use a Nokia Observation Camera to get regular updates on an elderly relative and my wife and I are sending MMS back and forth throughout the day. She has a not so smart feature phone.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Maldives
MMS is important for the massive non-smartphone market and it is used a lot. So in order to operate with mass market devices N900 should also support MMS. Most of the high end phone users might have email setup on their phone and all their friends may be on FB all the time. But a lot of people in their 40ish don't do that and MMS comes as a rescue for simplicity in obtaining and sending pictures etc.. of their loved ones. Most of you will be surprised how often it is utilized around where I live.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nashith For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Tried to use once. Intended recipient didn't have support for it. Eh.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
What happens when you've been sent a MMS on the N900?

AT&T had the http://viewmymessage.com service set up. What does Nokia/T-Mobile/Maemo have set up?

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Originally Posted by Venomrush View Post
Really?
Going be a tough market for Nokia then..
Also why I think MMS should be avoided, use of email or upload to social networking sites instead.
Well of course its anecdotal but being that 90% of my peers are professionals here in the city either in creative or business I can literally count the number of folks I know without a data plan on one hand. I would say that its iPhone first and then blackberry bold next in popularity and so sending pictures via email is easy and immediate with all of them. A sign of the times which directly corresponds to your statement however is that I have had three different friends ask me about the N900 as I'm known as always having Nokia phones. This is the first time any of them has ever asked me about a Nokia phone in my life.

I don't use it at all but maybe from month to month I receive one or tow of them .

But some people like to use it a lot , specially older people who don't deal with computers or the internet .

Q: Isn't there any third party app or expansion to add MMS to N900 yet ?

Hello, I'm from Italy and with Vodafone I have 100 MMS for free per day. I use MMS a lot because many people doesn't use e-mail on their phone or doesn't have a data plan to use e-mail. MMS is a quick way, and often cheap, to send and recieve a picture or a short video.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
What happens when you've been sent a MMS on the N900?
When I received MMS messages on my very old phone with no mms support, they arrived as SMS messages with some kind of embedded url to a server at the provider's. I guess that's what MMS messages really are: A url embedded in an SMS which your phone then goes out and downloads through GPRS.

Personally I've never sent a single MMS in my life and there's no reason to believe I ever will. I send lots of pictures by other means though.

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post: