Notices

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Nomad
Just tried metromap and it runs nice on the N900, although it gives an error while installing as metromap.postinst tries to call maemo-select-menu-location (which I guess doesnt exist in maemo 5). This should be pretty easy to fix in the package.

Its not optimized for the screen and doesnt show a full tube map - but gives routes with changes and journey times.

Updated: Seems the 2007 package does show a map (but the UI takes up almost the entire screen leaving very little space for the map). The 2008 package doesnt show a map but has more space to display the route.

Last edited by realitygaps; 2009-11-11 at 21:07. Reason: older version is the newer version

Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Originally Posted by andyfrommk View Post
I'll probably just download the largest resolution tube map I (or rather Google) can find and just pan around it, Also with the browser you can call up tfl.gov.uk and use their journey planner.
It's great to have an offline map, so if you find a very big picture, please post the link, I'd like one too... especially on the Tube with no reception.

I find the journey planner on the tfl.gov.uk website a little clunky and slow, that's where an app could really improve things, especially if the bulk of the data required to work out the route is in your phone already.

Originally Posted by Thor View Post
It's great to have an offline map, so if you find a very big picture, please post the link, I'd like one too... especially on the Tube with no reception.
Here is my favorite, It shows Zones, the Thames and British Rail lines though its probably not the most recent map, Heathrow Terminal 5 is not shown.

The highest resolution, though this one seems even older, no Heathrow Terminal 4 station, no Zones, no British Rail interlinks, however, some may view this map as 'uncluttered'

A Blogger-updated Tube map, Huge size, walking distances, and a bit more info on the stations, doesn't show every British Rail line, The most informative but looks awful

Originally Posted by Thor View Post
I find the journey planner on the tfl.gov.uk website a little clunky and slow, that's where an app could really improve things, especially if the bulk of the data required to work out the route is in your phone already.
Yeah, I keep going to the journey planner expecting to be able to buy tickets

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andyfrommk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Originally Posted by andyfrommk View Post
Yeah, I keep going to the journey planner expecting to be able to buy tickets
Thanks for the links.

This is the kind of useful app that would look good too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8EyFrblAqE

Hey all,

I spent last night coding a small app (in Python) that gives the shortest route between any two tube stations. Right now there are some rough edges:

- No user interface
- It is mostly line-agnostic: the algorithm can ask you to switch back and forth between several lines when there is no necessity to do so
- It treats all the lines and stations as in operation

I will attempt to solve the second problem this evening (may or may not be trivial, but shouldn't be too hard) if I have the time. The first problem may be a bigger issue: I never coded any GUI apps for Maemo and do not really have the time (although I might this weekend... we'll see) to get into it. What I was thinking of was a widget-style app with two text fields, a button ("Go!") and a display area to show the route (in text form?), plus another button to bring up a high-resolution tube map if required.

The closures problem may be a bit more tricky. I was thinking of subscribing to the TfL closures email and parsing it, then putting a machine-readable version on a server somewhere. The app would then download this list of closures and implement it in its routing scheme.

Right now the app is not optimised at all, but if the demand is there I am willing to streamline the code as much as I can, which may not be much, and make the code for the "engine" publicly available ASAP.

Any thoughts/suggestions/comments/criticisms?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to convulted For This Useful Post:
To make it more universal, does it just use a jpg or gif file to scroll around on? That way the NYC metro etc can easily be added.
This is the main project page, the Garage project has just modified the main source slightly to make it work better on a small screen: http://metromap.antex.ru/

I'm not sure if that's the best way of doing it, thinking just off the top of my head, but having a database like that could make it easy to load database/picture files for each metro around the world that people may submit?
Could just scrape the tfl website (for London at least) and get timings, etc.

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
What I was thinking of was a widget-style app with two text fields, a button ("Go!") and a display area to show the route (in text form?), plus another button to bring up a high-resolution tube map if required.
Thats sounds like a good idea, but how about a quick information panel which pops up underneath the textfields after having entered the information requested, showing you distance, # of Changes and the price for one ticket? In the bottom left you would then have the button to open the map you were talking about.

Im sure we can take this further...

The closures problem may be a bit more tricky. I was thinking of subscribing to the TfL closures email and parsing it, then putting a machine-readable version on a server somewhere. The app would then download this list of closures and implement it in its routing scheme.
Great idea!

Right now the app is not optimised at all, but if the demand is there I am willing to streamline the code as much as I can, which may not be much, and make the code for the "engine" publicly available ASAP.
Im sure theres demand! I would love such a widget to ease my tube travels I dont know anything about coding, but if someone else could help you out?....

Last edited by Haus3r; 2009-12-30 at 16:01.

So just googling about it seems there's no official API for TFL. One guy has made a public beta for the line status which seems to be working. Basically he scapes the TFL website once a minute and makes the results available for query.

tubeupdate.com

National Rail have a very nice API for train (not tube) depature boards.

livedepartureboards.co.uk

Would be great if TFL would get their act together and produce an API for the same for the tube and the buses.

Other things you could do is to parse the live depature boards from here (to be honest even opening this in a browser window would be a great start :

TFL Live Depature Boards

Finally - a lot of thjis info I got from this site here which may be useful to you - scroll down to the travel section:

RewiredState

Hope this helps because a decent london transport app would be fantastic for me.

Posts: 754 | Thanked: 630 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by wizbowes View Post

Hope this helps because a decent london transport app would be fantastic for me.
Note sure if its much help as it is, but ive managed to create a status app ==> HERE
Im testing new features at the moment so hopefull by this weekend Ill have the routing and map viewer also ready. More details follow.
Any suggestions/ideas please post in the link provided.

cheers

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ London, UK
I'm interested in those London underground map applications you guys code. I hope soon to be able to help you and give you more ideas.