Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ 驚く為五郎
Speaker Switch Applet allows you to turn speakers on/off whether a headset is plugged in or out.

This package replaces your /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf and /etc/asound.conf .
so, If worst comes to worst , it'll cause your N8x0 to enter a reboot loop.
You are at your own risk and you are supposed to know what you are doing.

File : spswapplet_0.0.1_armel.deb
File : spswapplet_0.0.2_armel.deb

Name:  spswlist.jpg
Views: 1443
Size:  19.1 KB

ScreenShots :
Name:  spsw_a_s.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  16.3 KB
Name:  spsw_b_s.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  14.8 KB

After installing this package , you can use some alsa applications such as "mplayer -ao alsa" or "alsamixer -c0 "

Last edited by t_moyashi; 2009-11-19 at 12:41. Reason: Update 1 : thank you fixerdave

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to t_moyashi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Thanks, this sounds like a useful applet. Is this just for Maemo 4?

Looking at that picture, I'm not sure I understand the UI.

Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Is this just for Maemo 4?
Yes.
In Fremantle, there are two volume settings, for an internal speaker and a headset.
therefore , we do not need this app .

Here is a screen shot.

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Victoria BC Canada
Hi,

I tried this on my N810 as a way to silence alarms (Shut Up already). It seems to be the best solution as it has an on-screen indicator for when things are muted.

It shuts off the alarm sound just fine; it just doesn't turn things back on. After using the applet to turn the speaker off, turning it back on does not re-enable the speaker. Resetting the device does.

Note that App Manager barfed on the install so I ran dpkg -i on it, which worked without any complaint.

I'll run through the above-mentioned conf files to see what's changing, and then not changing back. But, I'm just wondering if you have any hints on what to look for.

David...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fixerdave For This Useful Post:
Update1:
  • some bugs were fixed . (Thank you fixerdave .)

File : spswapplet_0.0.2_armel.deb

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I thinks it's wrong and dangerous to mess around with the alsa.conf and asound.conf files.
The correct way to switch between speaker and headphone on the N8x0 is by using the D-Bus methods
Code:
force_loudspeaker_on()
Code:
force_loudspeaker_off()
on
Service: com.nokia.osso_hp_ls_controller
Path: /com/nokia/osso_hp_ls_controller
Interface: com.nokia.osso_hp_ls_controller.loudspeaker

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Thank you for your advice.
but when I turn speaker on by "force_loudspeaker_on" , it seems that headphone is also killed.
and I can not mute speaker by "force_loudspeaker_off".
#I use this applet to keep speaker silent when I am listening musics on N810 and suddenly headphone is plugged out.
#yeah , there is a nice app for muting speaker and pausing multimediad when headphone is plugged out.
#but this applet allows me to mute speaker 'perfectly' and to enjoy fake 4ch surround sound .

The Following User Says Thank You to t_moyashi For This Useful Post:
t_moyashi, you might want to change "force on" to "power on".

The Following User Says Thank You to wesgreen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 93 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Victoria BC Canada
Okay, I tested v0.0.2 and it still says "incomplete package" when trying to install via the application manager. Again, a sudo dpkg -i installed without complaint. This time, it works. When muted, nothing comes out the speaker, alarm or not. When un-muted, music will play out the speaker.

Thus, it is now possible to mute alarms on the N810. Thank you

Ideally, this functionality should be built into something like Advanced Backlight, with 2 levels of mute, thus eliminating an extra desktop applet. But, for the amount it will get used, it's a simple matter to enable the applet, mute the thing, and then reverse the procedure after the reason for muting has passed.

Note that I've no idea about how it works with headphones, as I've not tried. I've not noticed any conflicts with other apps, at least not yet. But, then, I'm not a big multi-media fan.

David....

The Following User Says Thank You to fixerdave For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
I thinks it's wrong and dangerous to mess around with the alsa.conf and asound.conf files.
I'm interested in trying this out but got a bit worried when reading the above.
What are the dangers?
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes