Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Shangri-la Oregon
"I've got one request to make snoozing and turning off alarms easier, and an opposite requesting to make it harder!"

Just out of curiosity, which do you think is easier and which more difficult, and is this from a user's perspective, or a programming perspective?

Jim

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Jolouis, before loading to extras, can you give us a link to your latest version? Thanks!!

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Just out of curiosity, which do you think is easier and which more difficult, and is this from a user's perspective, or a programming perspective?
Strictly from a user-interaction point of view was my thinking there. As in, when you roll over in the early morning to hearing the alarm, hitting the screen blindly makes it much easier to ignore the alarm/put it into snooze; hitting it twice to turn it off is also relatively easy to do without actually being consciously awake to see what the heck you're doing.

On the other side of the coin is the request to have a 15 key passcode/sequence you have to press in order to turn the alarm off or make it snooze. In the early morning this requires a lot more conscious effort and co-ordination.

From a technical point of view they're both relatively straight forward to implement; the sequence one would be a bit slightly more so, but not by much. My point though is that I don't want to "overload" Flip with so many options for doing things that users will be confused and uncertain of what's going on. I can make all three modes available, but it means the themes will be a bit more complex, and there will have to be obvious documentation explaining the various alarm modes. Right now all of this would be because of two different requests... I'm all for doing what you guys want here don't get me wrong! But I want to hear some confirmations from other users that these features will be worthwhile and NOT overly confusing or complex, that's all.

Since you made the original request for the single/double tap alarm thing Jim I haven't noticed anyone else posting their support or disagreement, so it kind of gets shuffled down the priority list until I get more feedback (maybe I missed it? Sorry it's a busy thread some days!). I do know that a lot of people complained about the way the old Flip handled alarms saying it was far too easy to turn an alarm off by accident, so I want to avoid that a bit.

Thanks!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jolouis View Post
Strictly from a user-interaction point of view was my thinking there. As in, when you roll over in the early morning to hearing the alarm, hitting the screen blindly makes it much easier to ignore the alarm/put it into snooze; hitting it twice to turn it off is also relatively easy to do without actually being consciously awake to see what the heck you're doing.

On the other side of the coin is the request to have a 15 key passcode/sequence you have to press in order to turn the alarm off or make it snooze. In the early morning this requires a lot more conscious effort and co-ordination.

From a technical point of view they're both relatively straight forward to implement; the sequence one would be a bit slightly more so, but not by much. My point though is that I don't want to "overload" Flip with so many options for doing things that users will be confused and uncertain of what's going on. I can make all three modes available, but it means the themes will be a bit more complex, and there will have to be obvious documentation explaining the various alarm modes. Right now all of this would be because of two different requests... I'm all for doing what you guys want here don't get me wrong! But I want to hear some confirmations from other users that these features will be worthwhile and NOT overly confusing or complex, that's all.

Since you made the original request for the single/double tap alarm thing Jim I haven't noticed anyone else posting their support or disagreement, so it kind of gets shuffled down the priority list until I get more feedback (maybe I missed it? Sorry it's a busy thread some days!). I do know that a lot of people complained about the way the old Flip handled alarms saying it was far too easy to turn an alarm off by accident, so I want to avoid that a bit.

Thanks!
It was my assumption that the 15 number code to disable was a joke, but you know what they say about assuming....

Maybe a user option to allow single tap snooze, double tap alarm off, but can turn that off so you must tap then look for a button that allows snooze or off? I can't read well without my glasses, so I would need to put them on, find the snooze button, then press it, and then take my glasses off again. I'm pretty sure I would already be wide awake by then. On the other hand, I actually never use the snooze option, anyway. I set the alarm to wake at the time I really want/need to get up. So for me, ideally a single tap to turn off alarm is best. Maybe these issues can be determined by the skin that you use?

Thanks again.

Jim

Here you go guys, get up to the latest build and check things out for me! Let me know if I'm moving in the right direction here! There's still a lot to be done, but hopefully this will be better than the last update...

0.9.5 Preview 3
Which you can get from the garage page here:
https://garage.maemo.org/frs/downloa....9.5_armel.deb
You can also grab the Fremantle build for testing from the garage page:
https://garage.maemo.org/frs/downloa...ntle_armel.deb

I've updated the first post of this thread as well to reflect this latest version. Fremantle testers are also appreciated since I have yet to hear of anyone even trying to run this app on an N900/Fremantle device (yea don't worry Diablo is still the primary target for this, but I'm curious to know if my code at least runs/functions on Maemo5 as well!).

Thanks all!

Last edited by jolouis; 2009-11-20 at 13:45.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
Here you go guys, get up to the latest build and check things out for me! Let me know if I'm moving in the right direction here! There's still a lot to be done, but hopefully this will be better than the last update...

0.9.5 Preview 3
Which you can get from the garage page here:
https://garage.maemo.org/frs/downloa....9.5_armel.deb
You can also grab the Fremantle build for testing from the garage page:
https://garage.maemo.org/frs/downloa...ntle_armel.deb

I've updated the first post of this thread as well to reflect this latest version. Fremantle testers are also appreciated since I have yet to hear of anyone even trying to run this app on an N900/Fremantle device (yea don't worry Diablo is still the primary target for this, but I'm curious to know if my code at least runs/functions on Maemo5 as well!).

Thanks all!
I get a dependency issue with libalarm2. Any idea what suppository I need to re-enable?

The Following User Says Thank You to jlslate For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jlslate View Post
It was my assumption that the 15 number code to disable was a joke, but you know what they say about assuming....
Normally I'd have agreed with you, but I have seen other posts in other sections requesting more difficult ways of turning alarms off than just hitting the screen (apparently this one of the things people don't like about the built in alarm app in Maemo 5), so I had to take it a bit more seriously until a few voices come in to clarify. Personally I think the 15 digit sequence was over the top, but I'd seriously consider a 2 or 3 step process if people requested it as I can see if making sense for some people.

Maybe a user option to allow single tap snooze, double tap alarm off, but can turn that off so you must tap then look for a button that allows snooze or off? I can't read well without my glasses, so I would need to put them on, find the snooze button, then press it, and then take my glasses off again.
That's what I was thinking, perhaps a second option for it. The other point of course is that it can be controlled by the themes... also remember, if you don't want snoozing, just turn it off for your alarm(s). (On the alarm settings page, where it says "Snooze" "10 min", just press the "10 min" thing a few times until it changes to "Off"). If snooze is set to off, when the alarm gets triggered, the snooze button isn't shown on screen anymore so all you have to focus on is hitting the one big button on the screen to turn the alarm off.

I get a dependency issue with libalarm2. Any idea what suppository I need to re-enable?
Aww bugger, if you're getting that with the non-fremantle file then I goofed, let me double check things here and make sure...

Thanks,

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
I want to hear some confirmations from other users that these features will be worthwhile and NOT overly confusing or complex, that's all. Thanks!
Jolouis, Sounds like you need to make it difficult to hit the wrong button. (Alarm Off - Snooze).

Therefore I suggest that both buttons be as large as possible but separated by a dead zone. Hitting within the dead zone could make a loud buzz sound to let you know that you missed both buttons.

That's what I was thinking, perhaps a second option for it. The other point of course is that it can be controlled by the themes... also remember, if you don't want snoozing, just turn it off for your alarm(s). (On the alarm settings page, where it says "Snooze" "10 min", just press the "10 min" thing a few times until it changes to "Off"). If snooze is set to off, when the alarm gets triggered, the snooze button isn't shown on screen anymore so all you have to focus on is hitting the one big button on the screen to turn the alarm off.

Thanks,
I did not know that. Thanks!

Jim

Aww bugger, if you're getting that with the non-fremantle file then I goofed, let me double check things here and make sure...

Thanks,
Jolouis, I get the same message when I try to install.