Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 297 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ new jersey, usa
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
I'm not saying "don't make one for Myspace". I'm saying the fact that Myspace isn't really used anymore is the reason why there aren't already some made for Myspace.
logged back into my myspace account. they've pretty much copied facebook. guess if you cant beat em join em. but alot of people still use myspace. who's using myspace to promote maemo?

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
If there are 50 million active MySpace users, why not? It could prove attractive to hardcore MySpacers who may then get a Maem05 device, and who knows? Some of them may even be developers too.
Again, if you'd read my post, you'd realise I'm not saying there *is* anything wrong with that. Just that I (and apparantly quite a few other people) won't be bothered enough to do something with this.

Repeated again, since this seems to be going round and round in circles again: *we* don't care about myspace. It's *great* that other people do. Hopefully someone with technical clue *will* care about it, so that those who want to use it, can.

The Following User Says Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Hmmm so the root of the problem is that maemo developers are a different group from musicians who want to promote their music. I guess that's not so surprising.

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Once again I am seeing people miss the point, and you people that say myspace is not used any more are simply ignorant to the facts. I to am in the music industry, every band has a profile and many use this as their primary web page. I am tired of people that the only social network in the virtual world telling everybody how it really isnt in the real world.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to f pickels For This Useful Post:
Well by that logic Nokia is dead as a phone platform, and by extension so is Maemo, People are leaving Nokia by the millions.

The Following User Says Thank You to f pickels For This Useful Post:
I would think myspace sucked to if my band only had 2700 profile views. And before you go there , the last time I was in Chicago I was at the Congress, and I will be at the Aragon in Feb or March. Why does Every body have to be such haters.

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Paris, France
if you want Myspace, round up some Maemo developers who are also interested in making stuff for it. Become a focal point to push what you want forward instead of complaining like Maemo developers owe you something. Be the change you want to see. All the graphs in the world aren't going to help get an app or integration to happen if you can't find the people interested in doing the code for you, whomever that would be.
It looks like exactly what Chris is doing here, but some people here are more prone to interfere with his efforts than to be helpful.

Regards,
Antonio

The Following User Says Thank You to noventa98 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
What I want is something that will publish to Tumblr quickly and easily. I'm hoping pixelpipe will cover photos, but as Tumblr queues RSS, it may take ages to actually feed.
Pixelpipe works with tumblr already, at least for photos. I don't know what other data they accept, so not sure on the rest.

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
I wanted to come around just to ask. Who's prefering Myspace over Facebook? Some bands, yeah. Not a big audience for the effort, that has to be put in such a project to create a neat result.
Maybe you should check first, how many people are interested in a myspace app? Maybe a poll?

-Albert Camus
If this post was useful, please use the "Thanks"-button and I will do so, when you post something useful.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
I don't know how many times I'm going to have to say it until you finally understand. No one is saying "Myspace sucks, so we shouldn't do anything for it". I'm saying that most of the people developing aren't interested in Myspace because they no longer use it themselves. And if you no longer use it yourself, why should you spend your free time working on something for it?

Facebook is the place right now. It's the critical mass place to go and it has the most mindshare. That's why we're seeing Facebook having widgets out of the box on the N900. Hell, even the video ads for the N810 talked about Facebook (and ignored Myspace).

As I've told you several times before... if you want Myspace, round up some Maemo developers who are also interested in making stuff for it. Become a focal point to push what you want forward instead of complaining like Maemo developers owe you something. Be the change you want to see. All the graphs in the world aren't going to help get an app or integration to happen if you can't find the people interested in doing the code for you, whomever that would be.
Its cool. No hard feelings. In my Symbian blogging and community activities, I've found new friends all over the world, and have a wider view because of it. Facebook is big HERE, but not everywhere. My Indian and Chinese friends don't care for Facebook or MySpace. They like 51 and Orkut. So someone is always saying something is useless, when in actuality, social networks aren't venues. They're people. We need to realize 200 million or so folks don't want to move to Facebook, and stayed at MySpace for a reason. There is no king social network.

Facebook is for connections to those you already know or have established contact. MySpace is all about finding new people to network with, whether you know them or not, based on common interests, music, art, location, etc. They aren't comparable on many fronts, because they compliment each other. I use both. All of these social networks are different in their own ways.

Developers shouldn't always be so self serving. Think about the community, and ask how many would use it, and how many would be drawn to the community if we supported it. I'm willing to bet if we had some sort of special MySpace support, and we trumpeted it online and on MySpace, it would draw sales. Everyone wants a MySpace app for their phones, but if you have a Nokia, you're stuck with the full page or the mobile trash version. No in between.

iPhone has one. Blackberry has one. WinMo has one. Android has one. According to THIS REPORT, Symbian and WebOS has one that was in development almost a year ago, though I've yet to see it. But where's the Maemo one??

You can't always code for yourself. Sometimes you can work to draw more eyes to the ecosystem.

The Following User Says Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post: