Synaptics made a very cool touch screen... check it out:
http://news.com.com/1606-12994_3-615....video.6150132

the touch screen in UNDER a clear plastic cover !!!
so the top if completelly flat !! it has no bezel !

this would be great for the n770/800 successor...
hey nokia guys, do you read this?
Next time, make a FLAT, BLACK and SHINNY device... mmmmk ?
you know.. you can never go bad with black...

The screen is wide, but doesn't seem big enought to be useful. Screen ratio must be something like 16:5, common it's insanely too small.

Originally Posted by freeman View Post
The screen is wide, but doesn't seem big enought to be useful. Screen ratio must be something like 16:5, common it's insanely too small.
IMHO that's good enough to carry in your pocket... it's not that big.. and not that small either.. so it might be good compromise...
anyway, if the screen is dense enough, then it can be used for a quick browse on the net, to read you email, or even to read some text..

but that's not the point... what I thought was very cool about this, was the technology to make the top of the unit completelly flat (no rised edges) and the fact that the "touch screen" is protected under a strong plastic cover...

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
It's a concept device - the screen proportions are not indicative of any final product that uses the technology being demonstrated.

I don't see any benefit to completely flat, aside from it looking stupid.

The bezel gives me a place to rest my hand while I'm writing.

And seriously... that thing looks stupid.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
The hardware capabilities might be good but the reality is that the average person would have no proper use for this.

The only thing I can see this device being used for is a remote!!

The screen is way too small to make use of anything decent like viewing videos or websites, may only be usefull for music playback and a digital notepad.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Chaps - it's a *concept* phone which means the products that are built using this technology will almost certainly look nothing at all like the device you are seeing now...

Focus on the functionality (i.e. the touch sensitivity) and not the design or even the specific implementation.

Either apple is going to sue them for multitouch or they can sue apple. Hmm...who came first. Demonstration shows it to be some kind of multitouch also.
"less is like more but better"