Well, my battery life is pretty good. Ranges from 6:30-8 hours. My first usage was about 7-8 hours. I was using a minimum of 3 hours of wifi and the rest on 3G-3.5G(if that matters) while streaming music constantly before it went dead on me. When I wasn't using anything what so ever, I got over 9 hours of battery life and it was still going(had to charge at that point because it was dangerously low, lol). But I have to say, if you're using the device as a music player, don't bet on it because it's pretty bad. It went dead on me after 5 hours with about an hour of 3.5G data usage. It drains even faster than wifi....

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lincs, UK
Originally Posted by jjx View Post
I believe modern battery charge monitoring software already accounts for that to some extent, and will not allow you to charge the battery to "true" 100% or "true" 0% in normal circumstances.

So you should be fine charging the battery to the point where the phone says "Ok, I've finished charging now".

And if the electronics are at all sensible, it should stop charging the battery at that point automatically.
I would hope it doesn't let you get to these true 100 and 0%'s too, it just that there is a lot of confusion over how *best* to treat these batteries.

Personally I go up to the 100% and then after my day (on current 3gs) am usually down to about 20% I then go all the way back to 100% - however, my point is that if I can grab extra juice during the day, that is only a good thing, and you don't need to feel bad about not giving it a full charge

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by DannStarr View Post
I would hope it doesn't let you get to these true 100 and 0%'s too, it just that there is a lot of confusion over how *best* to treat these batteries.

Personally I go up to the 100% and then after my day (on current 3gs) am usually down to about 20% I then go all the way back to 100% - however, my point is that if I can grab extra juice during the day, that is only a good thing, and you don't need to feel bad about not giving it a full charge
From what I've read, which is unfortunately not authoritative, modern phone batteries + charging systems are much better for that and it's fine to do that. With old (10 years old) phones it was sometimes recommended to fully discharge from time to time, but I think that is no longer recommended.

I.e. you are right, there's a lot of confusion

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by MNX1024 View Post
Well, my battery life is pretty good. Ranges from 6:30-8 hours. My first usage was about 7-8 hours. I was using a minimum of 3 hours of wifi and the rest on 3G-3.5G(if that matters) while streaming music constantly before it went dead on me. When I wasn't using anything what so ever, I got over 9 hours of battery life and it was still going(had to charge at that point because it was dangerously low, lol). But I have to say, if you're using the device as a music player, don't bet on it because it's pretty bad. It went dead on me after 5 hours with about an hour of 3.5G data usage. It drains even faster than wifi....
That's confusing. Are you saying that streaming music does not drain the battery much, but playing music drains the battery quickly?

It seems unlikely but it's possible. If it's happening like that, it's probably a software issue in the music player.

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ South Florida
Your talking about discharging correctly etc but that should effect the battery over time, Ive had the phone for 5 days or so lol Im just trying to figure out if Im the only one with a horrible battery life since Ive heard of others having their battery last 12 hours or longer while staying on 3G and using the phone regularly the entire time. So anyone have a unit and able to use it normally without having to charge the phone 2-3 timesdaily?

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ South Florida
Originally Posted by thinh View Post
mines was pretty bad also, but after i tune my brightness down one notch and turn off my 3g when i'm not using it, it actually get by almost a full day uses.

but compare to my e61i it's miles away, but then the e61i isn't a powerful as the n900
Think we might have defective units lol But lets see if anyone else has a unit and has a different experiance. You shouldnt have to turn off 3G to make it last the night...

FYI I did 3 posts on this site from the phone over the last 20 minutes and my battery has dropped a notch already...

Posts: 296 | Thanked: 126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ New York City
I went out today with a full charge. Tried to get noksnes running a game for a few minutes but its pretty flaky. Then I played Urquan Masters for a bit. Listened to a bit of music. After maybe a 40 minute train ride, battery was almost at 50%. This was around 3:45pm EST. The half charge kept me going with shooting off an email with 1mb attachment, one brief call, checking the phone periodically, a few min of web surfing, a few pictures (with flash).

I think we'll see battery life improve as apps get more polished.

EDIT: oh yeah, I started getting battery warnings walking home from the train a few minutes ago (11-11:30pm EST)

Originally Posted by sadfist View Post
I went out today with a full charge. Tried to get noksnes running a game for a few minutes but its pretty flaky. Then I played Urquan Masters for a bit. Listened to a bit of music. After maybe a 40 minute train ride, battery was almost at 50%. This was around 3:45pm EST. The half charge kept me going with shooting off an email with 1mb attachment, one brief call, checking the phone periodically, a few min of web surfing, a few pictures (with flash).

I think we'll see battery life improve as apps get more polished.

EDIT: oh yeah, I started getting battery warnings walking home from the train a few minutes ago (11-11:30pm EST)
What time in the morning did it come off charger?
Are you running AT&T or Tmobile (3g or edge)? Also any apps constantly connected to internet or polling every X mins?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by jjx View Post
Note that some people, in other threads, are advising against cycling the battery all the way down. I've no idea what to believe.
The complete cycle method is generally used to calibrate the charging circuitry in multicell laptop batteries, as the batteries in mobile devices like ours generally only have a single cell it's actually pointless (and marginally harmfu) to do complete discharge cycles (as there's nothing to calibrate).

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2009-11-27 at 05:54.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
How about if you used it in a similar way to the e61i? Would the battery be comparable since you would not be using the extra features?
I could use my e61i for days heavily (wifi, music, and sometimes movies) and not charge it but with the n900 i doubt i'll past even one day.

But i can't say for sure cause i've never drain my n900 yet. Just the first two bars goes down really quick but not sure about the last two it could last longer.

Tags
n900 battery, n900 v. power war, piss poor