Active Topics

Notices

Penguinbait: Thanks for the backup instructions. Thought I could just restore with a rsync copy, but I guess I was wrong. I do not presently have a samba server set up (Linux only household), but I will set one up tonight and give it a go. If I could get the backup to be reliable, I would be willing to try any alternate Window Manager. I really appreciate all the hard work you have done, it would be really nice to have an alternate Window Manager (to Hildon) on the 770.

I bought my 770 shortly after its release thinking that there would be many window managers such as with the Zaurus. Here it is two years later, and with the exception of a experimental gpe image ( http://handhelds.org/~philippe/ ) your work is the has been the first serious effort I have seen. Again, thanks for all your effort.

One last question, do you have a link to Window Maker ROX ?

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
There are some problems using rsync to copy the OS, tar is the best bet

Window Maker
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=4569

Window Maker + ROX
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=4885

Whats Next - Soon
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=5233

I would like to get OPENBOX-ROX working for 770, its fast, works well, the keyboard does not run at 100%. We need to do some more troubleshooting. If we can not determine the problem, i will try to release another window maker version with some updates, I wont leave you in the dark. Anyone else out there got a 770 scratchbox setup, I can tell you what source to compile and see if you can get it working. I just dont have room to setup another scratchbox, I have too many already.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2007-03-17 at 19:50.

Penguinbox: I've most, most reluctantly come to face reality and see that possessing the N800 is a necessity for those of us wishing to remain participants on the cutting edge of Nokia internet tablet development, and I've purchased a slightly-used one from another member of this forum. However, I will still cherish (and continue to use) my 770. Anyway, I'll now be able to better keep up with your pioneering efforts. Regards, Jim

penguinbait: I got OPENBOX ROX running on my 770!!

I cheated a bit, however. I installed the "hacker" version of N800 software on my 770 (2.2006.48-7). After copy to mmc, your instructions installed OPENBOX ROX with no difficulty. I am very happy. Thank You.

Your backup instructions also worked and are greatly appreciated.

Awesome, I am glad to see it works

Hello

with this hack , can we recompile and install all we want, this work as a real linux with ROX ??

i want to know if you can recompile UAE or GDESKLET for the N800 without modifying the source ?

Originally Posted by testtuc View Post
Hello

with this hack , can we recompile and install all we want, this work as a real linux with ROX ??

i want to know if you can recompile UAE or GDESKLET for the N800 without modifying the source ?

If you are using this you can compile lots of software without needing to change the source code to run inside matchbox/hildon. The source may need to be altered depending, just to run on ARM. I have seen source code where I just edited the Makefile and removed the i386 or i686 references and compiled fine, sometimes its even hardcoded in the code itself. Not sure how optimized that is but, it will compile. As far as the software you mentioned, I have not tried either of them.

Troubleshootr: I wish I had seen and tried your solution involving the "hacker" version before I ordered my N800. However, since my N800 hasn't arrived yet, I would like to give your solution a try on my 770, but I am a bit confused. You state: "I installed the "hacker" version of N800 software on my 770 (2.2006.48-7)." The operating system I currently have on my 770 is 3.2006.49.2 -- a numerically later version than the number of the hacker vesion you cite. Why is this? Is your hacker version an earlier version? And where do I find it to be able to flash it onto my 770? Anyway, any guidance you can provide me will be appreciated. Regards, Jim

ascherjim: Please see this thread.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=4852

troubleshootr: Thanks for pointing me in the right direction -- but after looking at all that's involved, and knowing that my N800 is on its way, I think I'll just wait and get the OPENBOX-ROX working on that. My 770 for now is set up just as I need it, and I expect I'll soon be kept busy enough configuring the N800. Thanks again, and my congratulations on your perserverance with the 770 (as opposed to my cutting-and-running). Regards, Jim