Active Topics

Banned | Posts: 537 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ N900 LAND
And for some of us critical feature MIC.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
I think that most of those are on the road map for Maemo 6. Rushing would mean that there was a plan to release it with those features and releasing before those were implemented.

(IMHO) The right question would be, if it was smart to release "step 4 out of 5"? (and my answer would yes, but I guess I'm way off-topic).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sharper View Post
Of the last I'd say critical features are:

-Portrait mode
-Menu Icon reordering
-Quick scrolling

The others are all nice and some users will like them but the lack of the above three really create an "unfinished" appearance.
1+, if these should of been done on the first firmware out, and it does create a very unfinished appearance. As for the other the wait is expected.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
I think that most of those are on the road map for Maemo 6. Rushing would mean that there was a plan to release it with those features and releasing before those were implemented.

(IMHO) The right question would be, if it was smart to release "step 4 out of 5"? (and my answer would yes, but I guess I'm way off-topic).
I think you are right on many levels...

As for an earlier remark about Nokia saving dollars with this approach I think yes and no. Whatever money they may have saved went into developing a new device that allows FOSS in the first place... not to mention support for this community itself plus the program that provided loaner devices to individuals with forum nicknames instead of corporate partners.

Nokia has also provided this device without kowtowing to the demands of service providers which have crippled many a good device in the past in order to protect revenue streams that never fully materialized in the first place.

This open source approach also saves money in the future for Nokia and device users, IMHO. You will notice that not a lot of licenses from third parties are included with the firmware. Even my Motorola "dumb phone" pays MS a royalty on every unit sold for the use of something. (pro'ly just the ability to connect to a Windows Box in order to program and sync)
In a FOSS world Motorola could have released the phone with out this ability and relied on independent developers to provide the drivers or relied on Linux only for program and sync operations. They didn't because they did not want to limit sales in anyway... In the end the consumer pays for this type of thinking but he gets polish.

I doubt anyone would suggest that Nokia actively promoted the N900 as a replacement for any phone currently on the market including Nokia's own devices.

In the end all this crying for features that have proprietary licenses attached may result in Nokia ceding some independence with Maemo6 by reaching agreements with third parties. This may add polish but it will remove some of the advantages inherent in Maemo5 like anonymity and access to many device API's.

If they do have to get into bed with a third party my hope is that it would be Google and not MS but who knows? (Besides that is a topic for another thread.) Does anyone remember the Harmattan screen shots that were posted many months ago (May I believe) showing advertisement on the device desktop?

You can't have your cake and eat it too... But it looks like to me with Maemo5 you have all the ingredients available to make a tasty pie.

Good pies need time to bake.

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-11-27 at 19:40. Reason: they for the

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 25 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Montreal
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
The question is: would anybody have the patience to wait another 6 months or more for the N900's first release so it could have everything everybody wants implemented in it?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phlook For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Phlook View Post
The question is: would anybody have the patience to wait another 6 months or more for the N900's first release so it could have everything everybody wants implemented in it?
For it to be good value for money and a product that worked for you £*** yes totally!

I would never release an unfinished product into market.

Here's a nice idea - how about we consider it reasonable for people to expect a non-half baked product and a timely release for something costing €500+?
Totally agree, this is the point I am trying to get across in another thread but its the fanboy response of : OH ITS NOT A PHONE ITS AWESOME THE COMMUNITY WILL FIX IT.

If I released one of my hardware products my company sells and it did not work properly we would not be in business!

simple!

MB

Originally Posted by Untouchab1e View Post
Fact 1: The N900 is not for everyone
I'm not a business expert but as far as I know Nokia operates on the basis of its products being "for" as many people with money to spend as possible.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sharper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
yes, but it also missing an in-built printer, cooler or watshingking...you got a phone that is built like a tank. take it or leave it.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Here's a nice idea - how about we consider it reasonable for people to expect a non-half baked product and a timely release for something costing €500+?
Amen. It's not as if Nokia didn't have the time to do it right. And they certainly didn't need the revenue with new S60 releases still going on. It seems more like they didn't consider the N900 or Fremantle a priority and they were unwilling to devote sufficient resources to the product to finish it.

I remain hopeful that resources are being directed at it so that with release 1.1 most of the issues mentioned by the OP will be solved. But until then, I won't be upgrading. I need a phone that works, not a toy that I can get root on and experiment with. Limited computing capability is a nice extra but that is all it is, an extra. I doubt many people would have bought it if the cell capability was data only (as it is on more powerful mobile computers like the Viliv S5).

Tags
n900 = nokia's, premature ejaculation