I just install GAIM and would like to use it to connect MSN, However, after signing in, the program quited automatically. Do you know why? How to solve?

I have the same issues too. There doesn't see to be a reason nor is there any documentation to hep figure out how to correct the problem. It's frustrating.

Posts: 186 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Canada
Do you close the login screen after logging in?

same issue, worked a few days, and one day, it started to close after signing in, it closes always, no matter what configuration i use.

i hope one day someone makes an amsn port for maemo

or at least an updated version of gaim

Posts: 242 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ USA & BharatVarsh ( INDIA - Kerala ).
In this Forum the exact and the right way to install GAIM on N800 as well as Nokia 770 is mentioned. I have a Nokia 770 ( with the latest OS release) and so far, Gaim works perfectly for me. I think there may be some issues with your install of Gaim on the respective Nokia Internet Tablet. This issue can be solved if you follow the steps ( please search for them ) to install Gaim, to the letter. Good Luck ! !

Last edited by Arjun; 2007-03-18 at 14:18.

Posts: 193 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Paia, Maui, Hawaii
This happens on my N800 every time I add/block/unblock a MSN contact/buddy using another device [my tablet pc].

I solve it by quickly cancelling the Gaim log-on process on the N800 so that GAIM doesn't crash.

I then go into Tools - Accounts and delete the existing MSN account. Next I create a new MSN account with exactly the same details as before and everything works fine again.

So if you are having this problem after a change in your buddy list the above procedure may solve it.

P.S.
Don't forget to go into 'Advanced Options' and enabling 'New mail notifications'; the mail notifier works very well.
[before setting up the N800 email client for Gmail, I used to forward a copy of all my email from gmail to hotmail to take advantage of this]

Further to what ichmonimeyo wrote, I have found another way to solve the problem i.e. don't set auto-login. you have to input the password everytime then GAIM works perfectly.

I think it is good and temporary solution for me

Also works for me, thanx bigboss

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
The only similar problem I've had is that the account Enable and Auto-login checkboxes are flaky and don't always store the proper value. It's also difficult to tell which is which unless you've memorized them. Other than that (and the fact I still can't get meanwhile to work), GAIM has worked fine for me on 770 and N800 with MSN, Yahoo, IRC and AIM.

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Beijing, China
Hi all,

I just got my N800 two days ago. First time using the Internet tablet and now I need to get up to speed with Linux again. Haven't used it for almost ten years.

I haven't spent much time with GAIM on my WinXP machines so consider myself a GAIM newbie please.

I followed the instructions here to install GAIM this morning:

http://darlamack.blogs.com/darlamack...ng_gaim_1.html

The installation went fine and I installed MSN and Yahoo protocols. But after setting up the accounts, MSN couldn't login and it gave me an error message of "Connection Error: Missing protocol plugin for xxxx@hotmail.com". Yahoo Messenger worked fine though. Did I do anything wrong? I just put down my MSN account in the Screen Name field within Accounts setup screen. I checked and made sure that I have maemo-gaim-protocol-MSN installed.

Could anyone please give me some help here? Many thanks!

Peter Fang