Notices

A number of games I'd love to see Ported to MAEMO (keeping in mind, I'm new to Linux in general, so A: I don't have the know-how to set up a development machine and port them myself, abd B: there are likely MANY good reasons, mostly memory/processor overhead, that nobody has tried porting these titles allready, and C: I'm new to the forum, an insomniac, and have probably missed several obvious factors.)

Feel free to add to this list, or Shoot me down in flames.

Worms of Prey .
A VM for lemmings (to use the origional game data ?)
Emulators (compatible with standard roms) for various 8-bit and 16-bit generation consoles, especially SNES and Megadrive/Genesis
Arkinoid (NOT a clone)

I've yet to try the Xmame port with any of my favourite Roms, we'll see..........

don't forget there is already a wishlist in the 2006 application catalogue.

Plus - to help people along, it would be helpful to dig out as much info as possible about the project you want ported; e.g. "this project uses GTK" or "SDL based" or whatever, then people can say "well QT isn't ported to maemo, so that would be harder than" etc.

e.g., after doing some clicking around, I note this about the worms project:

Dependencies:
SDL_image (required)
SDL_mixer (required)
SDL_net (required)
SDL_ttf (required)
Simple DirectMedia Layer (required)

Emulating an NES can be done. It will require optimization and time: taking a page from pocketpc emulators, it makes sense to simply draw buttons on the unused screen area and use the crosspad for the rest.

SNES and Genesis are basically right out.

Worms of Prey is quite possible.

Lemmings is very possible.

Arkanoid via emulation is probably possible.

emu scene is active, 3 devs done xmame ports, tak done ultrafce nes, c64 done...

Ok, i'm sorry if i seemed presumptuous, I'm well aware of the 770's limitations hardware-wise, but like i said, i'm not a coder, and quite new to linux, so things that make porting tricky or impossible (like dependencies not/not yet present in maemo) will likely go over my head.

hence, its a request list, not a "my 770 may as well be a brick without..." list,

and yes, i'm. prone to overdramatic/overreactive responses, hence i usually avoid forums, sorry everyone.

i'm also a sucker for retro games, sue me, hehe

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
There are genesis and snes emulators for nokia phones that run at full fps on systems with slower processors. Now, obviously that can be done on 770 as well.
genesis: http://www.zpmode.org/picodrive/
snes: http://www.vampent.com/vsun.htm
picodrive has sources available. It uses fully ASM cyclone 68000 emulator for ARM.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Is there any version of Lemmings that can be ported over relatively easily? It'd totally lend itself to the 770's input methods...

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
knottori, that vsun emu comes in a version without sound as well, any guesses why?

------
spoiler
=======
it also doesn't run at full speed

battle for wesnoth?

basically, I'll be happy with any more turn based strategy games and possibly an rpg? But if pressed, I'd love to see:

Harvest Moon
Advance wars
xcom
theme hospital

That kind of thing really

Or even more maps for Crimson Fields would be good!

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
knottori, that vsun emu comes in a version without sound as well, any guesses why?

------
spoiler
=======
it also doesn't run at full speed
n-gage has 104 mhz processor and full fps and sound at the same time is not possible. I guess that's the reason.