I think the phone has pretty good signal quality. In fact, it's able to keep a signal where many other phones (including other Nokias) weren't. I can also say that the bars displayed don't mean much. Try making a call see if that works. Some phones show full bars and calls fail. Other phones show 1 bar and once you connect a call it shoots up to full bars.

Anyway, they only strange thing I have noticed about the N900 is that it hops bands a lot. If I am standing in 1 spot, it will hop between 2.5G/3G/3.5G randomly. I am not sure if this is a phone/software/network issue.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by Megacrazy View Post
If I am standing in 1 spot, it will hop between 2.5G/3G/3.5G randomly. I am not sure if this is a phone/software/network issue.
I notice that too.

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Ahhh. Lead paint. I remember eating that as a kid.... THAT is my problem! Been wondering for years....

1. Good point about calibration of bars
2. The N900 will come up with "no data service" and then shortly after that, the phone loses signal. The G1 in the same areas will make a phone call. I only tested two times, because removing the SIM card and switching is a pain. My sons also make fun of me for being obsessed with comparing. They are now blackmailing me, since I bought the N900 and did not tell their mom.

They think they can get a PS3 out of all of this. I taught them well

A reason I am aware of the coverage is that since going from the N-Gage and Dash, I noticed the G1 seemed weak. I was hoping it was a "bar calibration" issue, but the N900 alerts that signal is gone.

I am torn, I tell ya! Torn. I am seduced by the N900's goodness. BTW, I notice "hopping" in the same place too.

Last edited by Rushmore; 2009-11-30 at 15:11.

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
I have no problems so far, it could be similar trouble as with first iPhone in Europe. Apple tuned device for ATT frequencies and it sucked at first on 900MHz in Europe.

In Dubai we use 900/1800Mhz network and no complaints so far but have not tested too much yet though.

T-Mobile uses 1900Mhz maybe that is not optimized yet

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Zero problems for me, but then, Dallas-Fort Worth is saturated with signal. My mutant sons are all the proof I need.

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
If I am standing in 1 spot, it will hop between 2.5G/3G/3.5G randomly. I am not sure if this is a phone/software/network issue.
When it drops from 3G to 2.5G, doesn't that just mean that the local cell tower's 3G capacity is currently in use? And when it momentarily shows 3.5G, doesn't that just mean that an HSDPA data transfer is currently in progress?

I don't think this changing of the display means that the signals are dropping out.

Regards,
Roger

same problem here, my n900 looses signal when switching from 3G to 2.5 droping calls and data.

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
It's built out of plaster and lead paint. I think the description is apt.
If I move into a house like that, will it keep the government from communicating with the chip in my head?

Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post

A reason I am aware of the coverage is that since going from the N-Gage and Dash, I noticed the G1 seemed weak. I was hoping it was a "bar calibration" issue, but the N900 alerts that signal is gone.

I am torn, I tell ya! Torn. I am seduced by the N900's goodness. BTW, I notice "hopping" in the same place too.
Are you using an old sim card or a new sim card? Has the sim card been registered to the IMEI of the N900? I have seen problems reported in the Nokia forums with users putting old sim cards into the N900 and having reception and power management issues. Many of these issues are resolved when a new sim card is used and/or IMEI is registered.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DREJV For This Useful Post:
I think the phone has pretty good signal quality. In fact, it's able to keep a signal where many other phones (including other Nokias) weren't. I can also say that the bars displayed don't mean much. Try making a call see if that works. Some phones show full bars and calls fail. Other phones show 1 bar and once you connect a call it shoots up to full bars.

Anyway, they only strange thing I have noticed about the N900 is that it hops bands a lot. If I am standing in 1 spot, it will hop between 2.5G/3G/3.5G randomly. I am not sure if this is a phone/software/network issue.
Same here. In my house it jumps around from 2.5 to 3.5g for no reason.

But I also notice that I have improved reception, Just like Hypnotik, where I had no reception before, like in the subway.

Other than the fact that I can't group my contacts, I'm happy with it as a phone.