Active Topics

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by 406NotAcceptable View Post
That's because Three can't tell that you have 3G turned off. For all Three know, you have it set to dual mode; but are living in an area without any 3G/3.5G coverage.
when I first used 3G on nokia e65, it shortened the battery life quite a bit with original firmware, so I forced phone to GSM only - this ability to choose network is disabled in Three-specific firmware, but my phone was unlocked with generic . I talked to someone in the business about this and was told that Three have ways to monitor whether someone appears locked to 2G and can, within terms and conditions, require that customer goes back to dual mode or 3G only.

if you're on 2G, there are things which won't work - they have to pay Orange quite a bit for roaming, so I'm told, especially for data, which explains the above.

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
Hurray,

I just saw this bug-update in my mail:
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5315

Status RESOLVED, asking for internal testers to confirm the fix as often as possible.

It's going to be in every build based on or after 2009-47, whenever they make an official drop the the big public.

I hope that's pretty soon as my N900 has to run on 3 UK as of next week'ish ...

The Following User Says Thank You to Netweaver For This Useful Post:
Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by 3n900 View Post
They told me the n900 would be available on three UK shortly after nokia release it in the UK. He said it would be a couple of weeks as three would have to develop software for the n900.
That sounds like a good reason to get a SIM-free one, and use it with 3's SIM-only contract (which are supposed to work "with any 3g handset", unlike a few years ago where you had to use a 3-branded handset).

I really don't like the software networks add to their locked phones.

Like all the memory gets taken with games you can't play without paying, but you can't delete to use the memory for something else. And menus and home screen buttons you can't edit (even though the SIM-free one has them editable). I've had both of those from 3 on some handsets.

I'm really glad they've started supporting "any 3g handset" at last. My N900 will be a SIM-free model from the Nokia Shop, with an excellent SIM-only deal from 3 :-)

Nice to see the new 3-compatible firmware's ready before the N900 has actually started shipping :-D

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by speculatrix View Post
when I first used 3G on nokia e65, it shortened the battery life quite a bit with original firmware, so I forced phone to GSM only
Although 3G is more power hungry than 2G, all 3G Nokias I've used have a "use packet data = when needed / when available" option.

If you set it to "use packet data = when needed", the battery seems to last quite a bit longer, even though it's still a 3G connection.

I've noticed handsets supplied from 3 (the operator) have that set to "= when available", so the first thing I've done with several handsets for different people is change that setting.

Originally Posted by jeremiah View Post
I also have 3 but am subscribed in Sweden. I received a N900 on loan at the summit. My 3 SIM card does not work. I spoke with people at the summit and they said this was a known issue.

Hopefully it will be fixed, but in the meantime I think one has to switch away from 3 or use another device.
g
g
g
g
g
g
g
g
g
g
g

Originally Posted by jeremiah View Post
I also have 3 but am subscribed in Sweden. I received a N900 on loan at the summit. My 3 SIM card does not work. I spoke with people at the summit and they said this was a known issue.

Hopefully it will be fixed, but in the meantime I think one has to switch away from 3 or use another device.
3 sim card in Sweden has now confirmed to be working with the new firmware.

The Following User Says Thank You to Venomrush For This Useful Post:
Still not released?!?!!? whats a goins on!!!!!!

So is this new firmware supposed to be on the phones shipping this week? Or will I have to wait for an update?

Any news on the release of updated firmware ? I'm having to use a 2g Orange simcard and its horrid using the web !

well if it's any help l got my n900 yesterday and have put my three sim in till i'm ported over on monday evening and all seems to work fine.