Active Topics

Poll: What device/OS platform are you coming from? Please just for non-Maemo
Poll Options
What device/OS platform are you coming from? Please just for non-Maemo

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by StrangeReality View Post
Why would you ditch your 3GS? Do you think the n900 is really that much of a jump up? Just curious.
If you haven't seen or read enough to figure out yet, I'm shocked.Google "n900 vs iPhone" for insight

I currently carry a Palm Pre, Google G1, MyTouch 3g and at work I carry an HTC Touch Pro 2.

The Palm Pre will be used alongside the N900 when I receive it and I will probably hang on to the G1 for hacking and stuff. I like the MyTouch but I will probably be selling it. Battery life is awesome and I am pretty decent with the on screen keyboard but I always prefer a physical keyboard to onscreen.

Android and WebOS are both great. I am running the latest Mighty ROM 6.5 on the TP2 and it is...well Windows at the end of the day. I wouldn't call it REALLY terrible but it doesn't hold a candlestick to WebOS or Android.

I also had a couple of iPhones and sold them last year. The were good multimedia devices for me but terrible messaging devices at the time. Main problem has always been the touchscreen keyboard. I type without looking on all my physical keyboards at a good clip so going to a touchscreen slows me down.

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Dominican Republic
im coming from a lot of devices, iphone (crap for me, hate the on screen keyboard, the orgy of icons con the screen and the bigest problem for me: not multitask), blackberry (its nice to use the bb messenger, free chat, but i dont like the browsing experience, and the lack of functions), i use symbian on a Sony Ericsson P1 (very bad experience, very slugish, slow as hell).

Originally Posted by lstrike21 View Post
I currently carry a Palm Pre, Google G1, MyTouch 3g and at work I carry an HTC Touch Pro 2.

The Palm Pre will be used alongside the N900 when I receive it and I will probably hang on to the G1 for hacking and stuff. I like the MyTouch but I will probably be selling it. Battery life is awesome and I am pretty decent with the on screen keyboard but I always prefer a physical keyboard to onscreen.

Android and WebOS are both great. I am running the latest Mighty ROM 6.5 on the TP2 and it is...well Windows at the end of the day. I wouldn't call it REALLY terrible but it doesn't hold a candlestick to WebOS or Android.

I also had a couple of iPhones and sold them last year. The were good multimedia devices for me but terrible messaging devices at the time. Main problem has always been the touchscreen keyboard. I type without looking on all my physical keyboards at a good clip so going to a touchscreen slows me down.
Hey Istrike,
Could you say some more about why WinMo can't hold a candlestick to WebOS or Android, despite a custom ROM?

Last edited by Gadgety; 2009-12-01 at 14:35.

Judging from the current sample half of us are coming from Symbian. I wonder how happy Nokia would be if this were the actual distribution?

I'm coming from a Crackberry Curve and have tried the MyTouch 3G, rooted it and installed a custom firmware for 10 days before I returned it with it's original firmware again. The onscreen keyboard is no good to run a ssh session.
I'm very pleased so far with the N900. Yeah, it might have some shortfalls, but so did Linux about 15 years ago when I started with kernel 0.99 I'm definitely a sucker for the command line.

Last edited by Scummer; 2009-12-02 at 18:35.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scummer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Ovek View Post
Android - more specifically the ****** child of Android... the HTC Hero or "Sense Ui" if you want to be pedantic.

God I ended up really hating that phone and all the truly awful things HTC did to the stock Android OS.
What did HTC do to Android? Just curious.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

One more and we hit 300. Anyone here good with statistics?

Originally Posted by Gadgety View Post
Judging from the current sample half of us are coming from Symbian. I wonder how happy Nokia would be if this were the actual distribution?
I'm pleased with these numbers. Symbian phones greatly outnumber iPhones, yet the ratio of iPhone upraders is similar to the ratio of sales. So it looks like Nokia's target market is attracting folks equally from both OSes

The Following User Says Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
it also exposes Maemo5's email immaturity. Look at Blackberry's numbers. That needs to be higher.