Active Topics

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ United Kingdom
Just wondering setting the wifi lan transmission to 10w instead of 100w make any difference in the battery life??

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
A SIM card can cause the issue. Read more here: http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...&thread.id=106

Originally Posted by Guyver View Post
Ok this has happen to me today, Unplugged at 4pm, dead at 11pm. No data connections.. nothing open......... just idleing.
This sounds like the problems we used to have with the metalayer-crawler, until we started disabling it. Is there still a crawler on the N900/Maemo 5? It's a stupid thing to have running on a mobile system.

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
This sounds like the problems we used to have with the metalayer-crawler, until we started disabling it. Is there still a crawler on the N900/Maemo 5? It's a stupid thing to have running on a mobile system.
Was this metalayer-crawler giving issues on the N800 only with a memory card inserted? I don't have one in my N900 right now.

I can't answer that, because I have never used my N800 without a memory card (or two, actually - I've always kept two cards in it, from the beginning).

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
Im pretty sure metalayer-crawler still runs even with no card inserted, cause some people may put their media directly on the device. It's been so long since I ran an N8x0 without disabling..

Wow a 24 page post with only the last 3 pages when people have the actual phone…LAME!!!!

First, all you speck wankers, it does not matter how many milliamps the battery has, 1200, 1350, 1500…it's the apps! I can kill my N97 in 3 hours on battery…running multiple apps, WiFi , plus 3G, profimail, Gravity, face tube. I can kill my E71 in about 4.5 hours – both phones with the magic 1500 BP-4L.

Secondly do yourself a favor don't show your ignorance of systems by doing comparisons to the iphone and E61i… that is like saying that a Prius gets better mileage than an M3. Also understand that if you drive a Prius hell bent like an M3 it will actually get 16.7 mpg vs the M3's 18.3 mpg.

Thirdly, configuration, configuration, configuration! RTFM- explore the setting and tweak! Weather widget can use Wifi and GSM or just GSM or just Wifi…this has battery implications. qgil is correct about bad widgets- as any 5800xm, N97 users will tell you, a bad widget can be a killer.

I am glad that we finally have some users posting long battery life experiences.

When you see someone posting a claim of running without a charge for 18+ hours don't be a normob and moan "whats wrong with my N900", but think hummm what am I doing/running that is causing my battery to drain.

Out of the box I was killing the N900 in 3-4 hours, T-Mo full 3G. Now... 16 to 28 hours during work week and 12 to 18 hours in weekend mode. Additionally on the support forums we have had users who have experienced poor power performance due to using old SIM cards or SIM cards swapped from other phones.

Please, please, please… someone fix the WiFi sub-system so that it shuts off after widgets/e-mail has finished it's polling cycle. Yes keep WiFi radio on if web page is open… but all other connected apps should cycle the WiFi radio on/off.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MaemoCurmudgeon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MaemoCurmudgeon View Post
Please, please, please… someone fix the WiFi sub-system so that it shuts off after widgets/e-mail has finished it's polling cycle. Yes keep WiFi radio on if web page is open… but all other connected apps should cycle the WiFi radio on/off.
That would go completely against how I use my N800, and thus how I plan to use the N900. Web pages is what I use the least (once a day, maybe). I am online through wi-fi at all times, if there's wi-fi available (e.g. at work or in town). I expect to get my google talk connections, my skype incoming calls, etc. I think I have about 5 or 6 apps that should be either available for incoming connections, or for going out on the network now and then.

I definitely plan to use the N900 the same way. wi-fi shouldn't affect the battery too much. GSM phone, and even more 3G, probably sucks more.

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
XChat is in the Extras-devel repository... What specifically do you want in the way of a how-to?
sweet hadnt had an excuse to add that repo. guess i do now eh?

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Colorado Springs, CO
Ok, I can report on the battery life so far.

I gave the thing an initial charge yesterday at 1pm, and then started surfing on it for about 4 hours or so, Installing apps (ssh, nmap,etc), setting up 3 email accounts, loading music and videos over wifi. And I have used it for 2 hours as a MP3 player in my Jeep.

The thing is still 90% charged!

I was crushing it with wifi and disk RW, I would have figured it would be at 50% or so...

Tags
n900 battery, n900 v. power war, piss poor