Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
One thing I will say, there does not seem to be any transreflectance for outside use. I tried it outside today and it's hard to see anything much on the screen. I had a 9300 and the transreflectance on it was very good.

Originally Posted by snedley View Post
I just got my N900 but am only getting 2.5g -- despite t-mobile's maps claiming I'm in a 3G area.
I had to drive a mile down the road, then I got 3.5g. Guess that means I don't get 3.5g at work -- but I can do wifi there -- if this thing will do WPA2 enterprise with PEAP.

speedtest.net is reporting 1.01mbps / 0.29 mbps. This is in northern Delaware.

Other first impressions. I can't add a new APN for some reason. Looks like you only get one.

No ssh client? Gotta figure out how to do that (no, haven't even looked yet)

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Manchester, UK
Wher i get some more catalogues for app downloads???
Wolud be nice to try as many apps as we can get on this thing!!!

Anyone???

Interesting device appears to have a lot of potential if someone knew what they were doing would like to see a print program developed for this and couple of other tweeks. Can Linux programs be downloaded to the device?

Originally Posted by andy_x_net View Post
I did and is quicker and can multitask at same time
Thanks buddy.

Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
Wher i get some more catalogues for app downloads???
Wolud be nice to try as many apps as we can get on this thing!!!

Anyone???
Be careful.That kind of attitude will get you a brick in no time. You can install programs from something called extras-testing and extras-devel, but don't just go on there and start installing stuff left and right. Testing and devel releases are unstable and the only reason you are able to install them is so you could report back the bugs you find.

If you install a lot of programs at the same time, it's harder to tell what screwed up your device. Also, unless you know exactly how to reset your N900 when stuff goes wrong, please reconsider installing any of the unstable apps.

well i finally have my n900 and it is awesome im posting from it now i thought i would struggle with the keyboard but the more i use it the easier it is to use.

build quality is superb software is excellent and everything is working cant wait to get everything working the way i want

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Manchester, UK
Originally Posted by jaysire View Post
Be careful.That kind of attitude will get you a brick in no time. You can install programs from something called extras-testing and extras-devel, but don't just go on there and start installing stuff left and right. Testing and devel releases are unstable and the only reason you are able to install them is so you could report back the bugs you find.

If you install a lot of programs at the same time, it's harder to tell what screwed up your device. Also, unless you know exactly how to reset your N900 when stuff goes wrong, please reconsider installing any of the unstable apps.
Thanks for a tip, i defo will be carefull with my new n900
Did backup of maemo5 instal files and have some scripts how to flash it if something goes wrong.

Just curious do u have any usefull links for dev or test or catalogues pages please????

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Finland
Thanks for a tip, i defo will be carefull with my new n900
Did backup of maemo5 instal files and have some scripts how to flash it if something goes wrong.

Just curious do u have any usefull links for dev or test or catalogues pages please????
http://wiki.maemo.org/Extras

I took the same pic with my iPhone 3GS and my Nokia N900.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/diaper/4151576856/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/diaper/4151551474/

Amazing difference. I retook the iPhone pic a few times and posted the best one. Only one shot with the N900.

I'm VERY happy with the N900!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to snedley For This Useful Post:

Tags
first impressions, fremantle, impressions, initial impressions, maemo, maemo 5, moderator, n900, out of box, out of box experience, please merge, review, shiny