Active Topics

Out of the box I was killing the N900 in 3-4 hours, T-Mo full 3G. Now... 16 to 28 hours during work week and 12 to 18 hours in weekend mode. Additionally on the support forums we have had users who have experienced poor power performance due to using old SIM cards or SIM cards swapped from other phones.
Care to expound on this a little - my Sim card is from 2004 its the original card I got when I joined Tmobile. In what way could that affect battery drain?
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

I'm no authority on this, but apparently the SIM card sucks some power while the phone is on. Or gets the phone to suck some, I don't know.

What I do know is that my carrier sent me a new SIM card some years back, with a note that a) it would hold more SMS messages on-board, b) it would have room for more phone numbers, and c) it would use less battery.

But that was years before 2004, so if your card is that new you probably have a "low-power" SIM (whatever that actually is, technically speaking).

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by hypnotik View Post
so what is the rule for phones? keep plugged in for charging as often as possible? plug in before bed for charging even if 50% full?

personally i'm a heavy user of this N900. getting a spare battery. trying to find a desktop battery charger.
I use the usb from the computer at work. Charges fine and of course allows for file transfer.

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
When are we going to see a larger battery option from somewhere? The camera lense slider & mechanism adds extra complexity for an after market option.

Posts: 245 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ CT USA
i also confirm turning off widget for facebook and ap news helped a lot for battery life i have wifi on op weather i did few phonecalls little surfing and sms and it still 3/4 full took it off the charger at 730 in the morning so 5 hours so far

I have used my N900 three months and the norm working day N900 usage for me is exact 16 hours and it's OK and I charge it always overnight.

During weekends the battery holds about two days with light use.

The best usage time has been about five days with only sometimes 3G connection and text messages and some phone calls.

I have poor 3G coverage where I live and that's why I put the phone in GSM-mode instead of dual-mode.

Sometimes the device is quite warm when I use it in dual-mode and the the battery drains in some hours if I don't change it to GSM-mode.

The Following User Says Thank You to koivjann For This Useful Post:
Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
I really was hoping to get a day's use out of the N900 but it isn't happening, even with light use. I do keep the WiFi on, but in the lowest power mode. My N900 needs a charge mid-afternoon or it won't last through the day. Then I charge it again overnight. Disappointed (but keeping an eye on this thread in case I see a way to improve things).

Regards,
Roger

The Following User Says Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Care to expound on this a little - my Sim card is from 2004 its the original card I got when I joined Tmobile. In what way could that affect battery drain?
User in UAE was having bad battery drain issue. Returned N900 for second brand new unit, same issue 6 hour battery life. Had a 4 year old sim card with mild wear and scratches from multiple inserts/removals. Was given new sim card now all fine 16 hours.

N770, N810, N900, N97, N85, E71, 5800xm, iPhone(retired)
AT&T & T-Mobile

The Following User Says Thank You to MaemoCurmudgeon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MaemoCurmudgeon View Post
User in UAE was having bad battery drain issue. Returned N900 for second brand new unit, same issue 6 hour battery life. Had a 4 year old sim card with mild wear and scratches from multiple inserts/removals. Was given new sim card now all fine 16 hours.
Wiggy. Maybe I should get Tmob to send me a new one Though the battery life seems alright for me
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
eiffel: Seriously, that's not normal. That was happening with Nokia World firmware, but not now.

Install "load-applet" and watch the bars. The left column should spend most of its time with one grey box. If it isn't, then we need to diagnose your n900.

Tags
n900 battery, n900 v. power war, piss poor