Notices

I have upgraded to the latest version and downloaded the repositories from the Maps dialog to replace my old ones, but I don't see anything about OpenStreetMap anywhere... have I missed something ?...

okay, well I figured out how to edit the poi database manually (since changing the name of a poi category always fails with a "problem updating category"). I'm putting it here in case anyone wants to know:
install sqlite (the command-line part of it) from application manager, then dump the binary sqlite database to a text file:
Code:
sqlite /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/poi.db .dump > /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/poi.db.text
make a backup of the original db with:
Code:
mv /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/poi.db /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/poi.db-backup
then I edit /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/poi.db.text to my liking and put it back so that maemo mapper will use it:
Code:
cat /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/poi.db.text | sqlite /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/poi.db
note that I'm using sqlite and not sqlite3 here because I've still got the old os2006 installed (and I'm using an old version of maemo mapper still). Change sqlite commands to sqlite3 commands if you're using the newer one.

here's what they look like:

And the tar:
poi.tar
Just copy it to your tablet and untar it from each map repository's dir:
cd /media/mmc1/maps/my-map-repository/
untar -x path/poi.tar
and it should work. You'll need to create a few of the poi categories to get them to work (ie, hospital, atm, airport, dumpster-diving, etc).

Released under a by-sa-nc creative commons license.

constructive comments on these icons and suggestions for new ones are welcome.

Just intrigued as to what dumpster diving is....some quaint colonial practice?!

dumpster-diving is the art of going through someone else's discarded treasures (trash) to find working stuff or stuff you can fix and use. I've found computers, laptops, hard drives, monitors, TVs, couches, chairs, desks, etc.

Originally Posted by fpp View Post
I have upgraded to the latest version and downloaded the repositories from the Maps dialog to replace my old ones, but I don't see anything about OpenStreetMap anywhere... have I missed something ?...
The OpenStreetMap repository is not downloaded via the "Download..." button. You can enter it manually, or if you don't mind losing your old repositories, you can use the "Default..." button, which reverts your entire repository list to the default (which is just the OpenStreetMap repo).

Ouch... no thanks :-)
I'll enter it manually just to give it a try, although there doesn't seem to be much to see around where I live...

Ouch... no thanks :-)
I'll enter it manually just to give it a try, although there doesn't seem to be much to see around where I live...
Yeah, OpenStreetMap seems to be very Europe-centric, and even then, non-urban areas are hit-or-miss. Still, it's better than nothing (the old default), and hopefully it will improve.

Can't seem to locate the URI though ?...

Can't seem to locate the URI though ?...
Use one of the URL formats in the Maemo Mapper Repositories post.